Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 21st, 2014 20:00

U2414H, XPS 8700, No DP display

I just unboxed and setup my new Dell XPS8700 PC and new Dell U24214H monitor.  I cannot get the monitor to work and continually get "No Displayport Cable" message on the screen.  I have rebooted several times and no luck.  Any  ideas?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 22nd, 2014 08:00

If you ordered the XPS 8700 with an added discrete video card, the monitor DisplayPort cable should be plugged directly into the lower discrete video card DisplayPort and not plugged into the onboard/integrated DisplayPort below the onboard HDMI port. An added video card disables the XPS 8700 integrated DisplayPort, HDMI ports.

If you ordered the XPS 8700 with the low end Nvidia GeForce GT635, it does not have a DisplayPort, it has HDMI, DVI, VGA. So to connect it to the U2414H, you need to have support send you this HDMI cable T516N, or pick up any HDMI cable locally.

1 Message

January 23rd, 2014 20:00

I just received my Dell XPS 8700 and Dell U24214H monitor and am having the same issue drathke is - 'No displayPort cable' .  I did not order an XPS 8700 with added discrete video card, I have the NVIDIA GeForce GT 635 1GB DDR3 card - so I am plugging the monitor into the onboard DP (just below the onboard HDMI port). 

Any insight on correcting this issue would be greatly appreciated.  Not having any display make its very challenging to troubleshoot.

Thanks

3 Posts

January 23rd, 2014 20:00

I ended up calling Dell support and what I needed was an HDMI cable from the monitor to the computer.  They had to ship out an HDMI cable (expedited shipping) and now it works fine.  Also, the cable plugs into the card, not the terminal marked "HDMI" on the back of the compuer.  The port you need is the one in between the 2 "pin" type ports.  Just abandon the "miniDP cable that came with the monitor.  I just can't understand why Dell couldn't figure that out ahead of time and ship the correct cable right away.  I would have saved lots of hours of frustration and delay in setting up the new hardware.  Good Luck!

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 23rd, 2014 21:00

pgf451

You lost me. Did you install the GeForce GT 635 1GB DDR3 video card into the XPS 8700?

3 Posts

January 23rd, 2014 22:00

Chris

Refer to my post of January 23, 2014 at 10:48 PM...I had the same problem the pgf451 is experiencing.  And, yes...I have the NVIDIA GeForce GT 635 video card on my XPS8700.  I needed to abandon the DP cable that came with the shipment and had to get and use an HDMI cable.  Monitor now works.

140 Posts

January 23rd, 2014 23:00

Do you have an nVidia card and which one? I suspect the problem is for all nVidia cards but may only be certain ones as some may use Display Port 1.1 and there will be no problem if that is the case.  I have the XPS 8500 with nVidia GTX 660 card.  I had the same issue with this monitor. Dell techs spent two hours trying to figure it out and finally concluded I needed a replacement video card or a different mini display port to display port cable. So, they dispatched the parts and set up for a tech to come out to replace the video card. 

But none of that was the cause of the problem.  I figured it out by going to nVidia's site and looking at the specs for this card.  It requires Display Port 1.2 ONLY.  This monitor defaults to Display Port 1.1a. So, all you need to do is enter Settings on the monitor then Display Port settings and change it to 1.2.  That instantly fixed the problem. 

I've had three Dell techs call me to clarify this fixes the problem.  Obviously, most techs are not aware of this yet.

Do NOT use HDMI connection as there are other issues with this monitor if using HDMI.  HDMI should be used to  connect your Smart HD TV but not for your computer.

1 Message

February 6th, 2014 21:00

Perfect. I just spent hours trying to get my new XPS 8700 to talk to my new U2414H monitor with the supplied Displayport/Mini-Displayport cable. The monitor says there's no connection, no matter how many different things I tried. Somewhere on the Dell support site I saw something that said add-on video cards like the NVIDIA GeForce GT 635 that came with my XPS 8700 may invalidate "native video card" connections, so the separate Displayport slot on the back of my XPS 8700 (not on the NVIDIA card) apparently is disabled. After all these hours I came to the same conclusion as you determined, which is to get an HDMI cable to connect the U2414H monitor and the XPS 8700 vis the NVIDIA card (which has a VGA connector, HDMI connector, and DVI connector). Hope it works for me like it worked for you, Drathke!

1 Message

November 23rd, 2014 22:00

Hello Chris,

I am the new owner of an XPS 8700 and 4K monitor.  I have run into the same snag as others in this forum trying to run the monitor via a DisplayPort cable plugged into the 8700 s DisplayPort receptacle.

From your response I understand that this DisplayPort receptacle is disabled when a video adapter card is installed in the computer.  Does it, therefore, follow that the DisplayPort receptacle will function if the installed video adapter is removed...

Many thanks in advance..........Hal

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 24th, 2014 14:00

Correct. If the bottom discrete video card is removed from the motherboard slot, the rear middle onboard HDMI out and onboard DP (DisplayPort) out will then function.

1 Message

November 27th, 2014 04:00

I just received the same combination today and have the same trouble!   You posted in January and it's now November!!  Thank goodness I had a blue cord to plug my old monitor into my new tower.  I'll be ringing Dell tomorrow.  They should have supplied an HDMI cable, when they know it's an issue.  

No Events found!