Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 23rd, 2014 06:00

U2414H being called HDTV?

This is clearly some kind of an issue with the monitor. People all over the world are having problems with DP connection on the U2414H. Moreover, two professional reviews talk about very strange and absolutely uncommon behavior of the U2414H, when it connected over DP.

TFT Central: On top of this we did find the DisplayPort input to be incredibly fussy. We had a great deal of difficulty getting a laptop connected over DP, when normally on every other screen it's just a simple case of plugging it in and it automatically detecting the appropriate resolution and refresh rate. With the U2414H it seemed to occasionally work, but quite often the screen would inexplicably just show "entering power saving mode" or worse still seem to make the graphics card driver crash when it tried to use DisplayPort. We're not sure what was causing this, but it's the first screen we've used which gave us these kind of issues. From our normal testing PC the DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort seemed to work fine thankfully. Had the screen featured VGA we could have avoided those issues with the laptop hopefully. 
One other issue was that the DisplayPort connections didn't seem to detect a signal if your PC was waking up from sleep, so you'd have to unplug and re-plug the cable sometimes to get the screen to display anything again. Alternatively you can power the screen fully off and on again via the power button which allows it to redetect the input again.

PC Monitors: An Nvidia GTX 780 was used on our test system and we tested both DisplayPort and HDMI – with interesting results. When using either DisplayPort or HDMI the GPU sent out the wrong colour signal (‘Limited Range RGB 16-235’ instead of ‘Full Range RGB 0-255’). This reduced gamma, skewed white point, hugely impacted contrast and simply gave everything a washed out look. We are quite used to seeing this with Nvidia GPUs connected via HDMI as that is their default behaviour – treat the connected device as an HDTV. But we aren’t used to seeing this over DisplayPort which is currently a PC-only output. We tested the ‘MiniDP’ port as well as the full sized DP port using both DP 1.1 and DP 1.2. The native resolution of the monitor (1920 x 1080) is listed under ‘Ultra HD, HD, SD’ as ‘1080p, 1920 x 1080 (native) when connected by DisplayPort. This list of resolutions is designed for output in RGB 16-235 to devices such HDTVs. The resolution should instead be listed under ‘PC’ as ‘1920 x 1080 (native)’, but it isn’t.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 23rd, 2014 06:00

Investigating this.

7 Posts

January 23rd, 2014 09:00

Thanks! Hopefully these issues won't be present in forthcoming revisions of the U2414H.

140 Posts

January 23rd, 2014 23:00

Yes, I too have this problem.  The system detects the monitor as an HD TV not a PC monitor and shows the wrong resolution. This is with an nVidia GTX 660 card and using Display Port 1.2.  This is not limited to Windows computers either. It is also a problem on Macs.

PC Monitors review has a solution here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPIbtgngquk.  I followed the instructions but I don't know if it worked as I don't know exactly how to test the RGB color output to see if what I did fixed it.  Hardforum has a very long thread  http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1793502 on this monitor and one contributor gave links for testing this.  

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/white.php

I did the tests and I could see all but the first black one and the last white one.  What concerned me was that the tests told me this:

"Resolution: 1792x1008
Description:
Note: monitors for this resolution are uncommon; the resolution may not match the native resolution of your monitor.
Note: your resolution does not have a common 5:4 (1.25), 4:3 (1.33), or 16:10 (1.6) aspect ratio, which means that images can be distorted. Your aspect ratio is: 1.78.
Color depth: 24 bits (Truecolor, Millions of colors)"

Dell needs to get on this immediately.  There are already people who had planned to purchase this monitor who have now decided not to do so.  Had these reviews been available when I purchased (Dec 26) I would not have purchased it. 

11 Posts

February 17th, 2014 08:00

Got my new U2414H a week ago and I wondered why I couldn't get my colors correct..

Read loads of posts about this and appearantly i can't get my new screen to show full rgb in either HDMI or DP... This is really disappointing since I need my monitor to output full RGB.

I guess this is an EDID problem since the screen is recognized as an HDTV in the Nvidia Controlpanel and should be listed as an monitor and have it's resolution listed under PC.

Nevertheless I hope Dell can find a solution to this soon!

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 17th, 2014 13:00

fredrik.r,

What operating system, video card, video card driver? What ports are on the video card?
* Press the monitor Menu button (3rd from the left) to bring up the OSD (On Screen Display)
* Go to Other Settings
* Go to Factory Reset
* Choose Reset All Settings
* Go back to Color Settings and verify these are chosen:
Input Color Format = RGB
Gamma = PC
Preset Modes = Standard

* Retest both HDMI and DP

11 Posts

February 17th, 2014 14:00

fredrik.r,

What operating system, video card, video card driver? What ports are on the video card?
* Press the monitor Menu button (3rd from the left) to bring up the OSD (On Screen Display)
* Go to Other Settings
* Go to Factory Reset
* Choose Reset All Settings
* Go back to Color Settings and verify these are chosen:
Input Color Format = RGB
Gamma = PC
Preset Modes = Standard

* Retest both HDMI and DP

Hey!

I'm using Windows 8.1 and my video card is an Asus 780 which have two DVI, one HDMI and one DP.

The driver is 332.21

I've tested both HDMI and DP with your instructions and the problem is still the same.

Thanks for helping, really appreciate it since this is a big issue for me!

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 17th, 2014 15:00

If this is a single monitor setup, be sure that Display Port 1.2 is set to Disable in the monitor OSD- Display Settings.

11 Posts

February 17th, 2014 22:00

If this is a single monitor setup, be sure that Display Port 1.2 is set to Disable in the monitor OSD- Display Settings.

Yes this is a single monitor setup.

I've tried with both Displayport 1.2 enabled and disabled but with same results.

But it's on disable since I'm only using one screen.

Thanks

11 Posts

February 18th, 2014 11:00

Tried out the new Geforce driver 334.89 released today, the problem persists though..
Didn't think it would've solved the issue but I had to try atleast.

Hopefully Dell will come up with a solution soon :(

February 18th, 2014 15:00

Im having the same issue with my MacBook Pro (Mid 2012 / Nvidia GT650M) using the included Mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort adapter. The screen worked for a while and now it goes into sleep mode every time. I also tried another MacBook and the screen does not display any image. The laptop recognises the screen and acts as if it were connected correctly. Has there been any update from the displays team? Seems rather strange to me that so many people are experiencing these issues across different operating systems and hardware configurations.

11 Posts

February 20th, 2014 12:00

Any update on this Chris M?

Getting really sad when I see all these washed out colors..

11 Posts

February 20th, 2014 15:00

It seems that there is a problem with the information the monitor feeds the videocard driver. The driver thinks this monitor is an HDTV and therefore it'll feed it with an Limited RGB signal that means 16-235 colors. PC monitors should be fed with 0-255 colors = Full RGB. Anyways I would appreciate if you could forward this information to some technician or something maybe it's possible to update the EDID information with an firmware update or something to correct it. I might be in deep water here but I've read alot about it and all things point to the problem explained above.

Thanks

1 Message

February 21st, 2014 16:00

It must be an EDID problem. In AMD Catalyst  the monitor is listed as HDTV. Using Displayport or HDMI makes no difference. Furthermore the sRGB-Preset gives me a strong blue screen and thus is useless, which is really disappointing. Is it possible that the display has been calibrated using a source with YPbPr -signal? When i change input color format to it, the result is fine, but YPbPr can only be provided by HDMI and not by DisplayPort...

Got the monitor today and searched for a solution for 5 hours. My system runs a AMD HD7870 with 2x DVI, 1xDP and 1xHDMI. I tested Catalyst 13.12 and 14.1beta at Windows 8.1. 

My Thinkpad with Intel HD4000 shows exactly the same behavior with the U2414H (HDTV, SRGB broken etc.)

Any suggestions?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 25th, 2014 06:00

Using DP or HDMI, some video cards call our newer monitors a TV and the driver will limit the dynamic range to16-235. You will need to manually select the full range 0-255 under the Advance setting in the graphic card driver settings. I only have a picture of the Nvidia setting so AMD users will need to look in the Catalyst Control Center.

11 Posts

February 25th, 2014 06:00

Thanks for the tip and the continuing support.

I really wish that this would have been this simple but what you show here only applies for video not for application/games etc..

Using that setting doesn't alter anything in windows or in any application.

Regards

No Events found!