Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 25th, 2014 21:00

U2414H, does not display in full area of screen, black bars

NEW U2414H monitor, connected to Dell XPS 8300 PC with HDMI cable. OS is Windows 7 Home Premium. Resolution is set at maximum (1920 x 1080). The display is sharp and excellent color, but there is a black band all the way round [of 0.5 inch (top & bottom) and 0.75 inch (sides) portrait] - so in effect the total display area is only about 85% of maximum. I have looked through this Forum and on Google and people write about a need to make changes to the Catalyst Control Center, by right clicking on the desktop. I try this but clicking on CCC produces no result -- the MS hourglass shows for 10 seconds, then nothing. Further research produced information about a need to download MS Network 4 and then further software in order to makes changes to the video card, and this is going much too far for my comfort or confidence. What can I do to get full screen?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 26th, 2014 08:00

Charlie B2014,

You should install the latest Microsoft .NET. When done, restart the XPS 8300. Download the AMD driver for your video card and save it to to the windows desktop. Remove the currently loaded AMD driver. Install the one from the desktop. Restart the XPS 8300 when done.

March 26th, 2014 12:00

Thank you very much indeed.  I will follow these suggestions. However, may I ask a few questions first so that I know what I am doing:

1. What is the (safe/best) location from which I can download the latest MS .NET --- Is this .NET4 ?

2. How do I find out which is the AMD driver for my video card? (According to the documents provided by Dell with the XPS8300, the graphics are: AMD Radeon HD 6670)

3. Where do I get the suggested AMD driver for the video card?

4. Where is the existing AMD driver currently installed? What is the difference between this and the newly downloaded AMD driver? What difference will installing the new one make?

5. When I have followed all the suggestions with respect to Microsoft.NET and the AMD driver and re-started my PC, will this solve the screen display issue, or are there further procedures to follow? If so, can you let me know what they are?

Many thanks for your kind assistance.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 26th, 2014 13:00

1. What is the (safe/best) location from which I can download the latest MS .NET --- Is this .NET4 ?
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17851

2. How do I find out which is the AMD driver for my video card? (According to the documents provided by Dell with the XPS8300, the graphics are: AMD Radeon HD 6670)

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows+7+-+64

3. Where do I get the suggested AMD driver for the video card?

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows+7+-+64

4. Where is the existing AMD driver currently installed?
That does not matter.

What is the difference between this and the newly downloaded AMD driver?
One is newer.

What difference will installing the new one make?
Standard troubleshooting.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/GPU57RemoveOldGraphicsDrivers.aspx

5. When I have followed all the suggestions with respect to Microsoft.NET and the AMD driver and re-started my PC, will this solve the screen display issue, or are there further procedures to follow? If so, can you let me know what they are?
It might fix it. This is standard troubleshooting you need to do.

March 27th, 2014 03:00

I am really grateful for your efforts on my behalf. But this is not proving to be easy:

1. NET.4 download completes, but when I click to install there is an alert saying "some or all of NET.4" is already installed on the computer and so the installation will not proceed.

2. The attempt to download the AMD driver repeatedly fails. I have made four attempts to download it, and each time the download just hangs and does not complete.

3. Just to see what happens, despite the failures noted above, I followed the directions in the article you linked to from [4] above. The "Programs and Features" menu (of course) does not list "AMD driver". It does list ATI Catalyst Install Manager, but I assume this is not the right software for current purposes.

4. Clicking CCC from the desktop menu still has no effect.

I really do want to deal with this issue. As things stand my new minitor is smaller than the old one I replaced, and although the quality is good, the size is a permanent irritation. While I realise that the issues originate in the PC and Windows7 side of things, this is an issue that will (I assume) affect all Dell customers using HDMI, and I see that people have raised it in relation to other Dell monitors. Is is not possible for Dell to provide a single "fix"?

Anyway, I would still be very grateful indeed if you could review my efforts to follow your suggestions, and advise me of some alternative or additional steps I can take to achieve the objective you think will solve the issue in my own case.

Thank you.

March 27th, 2014 05:00

UPDATE

The AMD driver finally downloaded.

As a result the right-click on desktop CCC worked.

I went to My Flat Panels and adjusted scaling to Max (from 50%).

Display is now 99% of the screen area.

This is a massive improvement and I consider it fully adequate.

Many many thanks for your help.

Problem solved!

1 Message

April 4th, 2014 09:00

Dell Chris,

I'm having the same issue, however I have two of these monitors.  One connected via HDMI and the other connected to the video card via DVI to HDMI adapter.

The one that is connected with DVI to HDMI is fine, full screen and looks great.

The other that is connected straight to the video card via HDMI, there is about a 1" border all the way around.

I'm using an XPS 8500 with a AMD Radeon HD 7570 video card.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

April 7th, 2014 11:00

Did you do what Charlie B2014 did? Install the latest AMD ATI driver, restart the computer when done. Right-click on desktop, open Catalyst Control Center, go to My Flat Panels and adjust scaling to Maximum?

1 Message

May 2nd, 2015 05:00

Hello Chris! I have been following every step on this thread and I would not say that it's solved for anyone in here. The reason is that there is still a little gap on each side of the desktop to the screen border. It's around 5 millimeters.

Like all the other people around here I am using an AMD graphic card.

I have been using Nvidia for the past 10 years, but during the weekend I've been trying out AMD and since then this border have been impossible to remove.

Everything from setting the overscan to 0% or GPU upscaling active but none of them are helping me getting rid of the border..,

I have been talking directly to AMD support and they asked me if there is a way to change the screen scaling within my monitor. Unfortunately there is not.

Here is an image (bad quality, sorry for that) on how it looks like on one of the sides of the monitor:

http://imgur.com/9On3ZEf

I hope there will be a solution for this.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 2nd, 2015 18:00

For 5 mm, I doubt it. The black bars issue we are correcting in the AMD driver setting are an inch wide. You may get a like for like exchange, but the replacement may have the same issue. Or install an Nvidia video card in that computer (if a desktop) and see if the issue is still there. If yes, it could just be that monitor model.

No Events found!