Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 9th, 2015 14:00

U2414H not working with Surface Pro 3 Dock

Monitor model = U2414Hb (x2)
Monitor revision number = A03
Monitor 20 digit alphanumeric serial number = CN-0R9F1P-41261-4CO-4CML, CN-0R9F1+-74261-4CO-4ADL
Specific setup. Example =

* The SP3 (Surface Pro 3) dock is using its 48w power cable
* #1 U2414H has DP 1.2 Enabled in the OSD (On Screen Display)
* SP3 Dock mDP out --> StarTech mDP to DP cable --> #1 U2414H DP in (far left)
* #1 U2414H DP Out MST 1.2 --> StarTech DP to mDP cable --> #2 U2414H mDP in

Everything works fine so long as as I have the originating mDP cable plugged into the SP3 itself but when I plug it into the dock Win8.1 does not recognize either of the two monitors.

I spoke with a lady at Surface support and she says it's Dell's problem...I'm not sure how that is when the SP3 recognizes the device when plugged in directly but not when it's plugged into the dock.  I'm suspecting dock is the issue and MS will have to provide new firmware but that's not what MS's stance is...

4 Posts

March 10th, 2015 00:00

I think it's likely that you have a bad dock. We received several bad units in our initial batch of docks. The fact that it works through the Surface DP port is telling, though it's also possible that something is wrong with the docking port on the Surface itself, or that an OS reinstall may be necessary. It's hard to tell these things unless you have known-good models of each device for testing.

March 10th, 2015 07:00

I don't disagree but Surface Support claims that the U series monitors "aren't compatible" with the SP3 dock and that "it's a Dell issue".

edit:  I called back this morning and got someone who could've cared less about the issue but was quick to offer a replacement dock which I took her up on.  They don't even want the old one back.  I'll update this thread when the new dock arrives.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 10th, 2015 13:00

The Surface technician must be using out dated documentation. In our lab, dual daisy chained U2414H A03 work fine connected to the Surface Pro 3 dock.

4 Posts

March 21st, 2015 13:00

Chris

On another post in February you said there are still issues with Rev A03 and SP3 daisy chain.  Now you are saying no further issues.  Which is correct? I don't want to bother with this any further if it is not fixed as I have wasted countless hours on this issue already.

I have 4 Rev A01 monitors, I have had 3 replacement monitors (once  because of this issue, twice because of dead pixels).  I had assumed they would have sent me new monitors as replacement but realize they are still Rev A01. 

Should I get on the phone with you guys and try and go through this all over again to get Rev A03 monitors? Is there a specific issue or # I can indicate so I can speak with someone who actually is aware of this problem instead of spending >1hr with customer support as has been my experience so far?

Also, do both monitors need to be RevA03 or only the one with the DP 1.2 output?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 25th, 2015 08:00

You must have the dock 48w power cable connected or if not on the dock, the SP3 must have its 36w power cable connected. All SP3 updates must be done. I have been told that all of the DP daisy chain issues have been addressed by A03. A new exchange may not get the latest firmware. A refurbished exchange will get the latest firmware regardless of what the revision label states.

No Events found!