Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 7th, 2015 08:00

U2415, DDM, changing source using keyboard

Hello,

I bought a U2415 today and i have connected it to a PC (HDMI) and a Laptop (miniDP). I know how to change the input source using the OSD, but it would be much easier if there is an option to change it using the Keyboard, or an application from windows.

Thank you

425 Posts

January 15th, 2019 02:00

Two problems: 1. Your two shortcuts trigger the same command: "SetActiveInput HDMI". Everything that follows that is meaningless, so change "HDMI (MHL) 1" to "HDMI1" and "HDMI (MHL) 2" to "HDMI2". 2. On the U2415 you can only send commands over the active input. To switch from HDMI1 to HDMI2 you must be on HDMI1. To switch from HDMI2 to HDMI1 you must be on HDMI2.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 8th, 2015 06:00

The DDM console command line might allow this? Unfortunately, the DDM Guide does not spell out how to do this. The command line usage is found in the readme.txt =
C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell\Dell Display Manager\readme.txt

1 Message

May 24th, 2018 22:00

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell\Dell Display Manager\ddm.exe" 2: SetActiveInput HDMI1
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell\Dell Display Manager\ddm.exe" 1: SetActiveInput mDP
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell\Dell Display Manager\ddm.exe" 3: SetActiveInput mDP

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 25th, 2018 06:00

arboliveira,

Can you expand/show how you used DDM to do this? Assuming you are using command line? Or did you somehow create EXE shortcuts on the desktop?

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell\Dell Display Manager\ddm.exe" 1: SetActiveInput mDP
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell\Dell Display Manager\ddm.exe" 2: SetActiveInput HDMI1
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell\Dell Display Manager\ddm.exe" 3: SetActiveInput mDP

425 Posts

May 26th, 2018 04:00

To take kamil_blue's situation for illustration (desktop PC=HDMI, laptop=mDP):

1. On the PC, locate the folder where DDM is installed, typically somewhere like "C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell\Dell Display Manager"

2. Right-click on ddm.exe and drag it to the Windows desktop, then select "Create shortcut here" from the popup menu that automatically appears when you release the drag and drop the file on the desktop

3. Right-click on the new desktop shortcut to DDM you just created and select "Properties" from the popup menu that appear

4. In the "Target" field, *append* "/SetActiveInput mDP" (without the quotes) to the existing target

5. In the "Shortcut key" field, add the system-wide hotkey of your choice or leave it as None, and then click Ok to save the edits you have made to the shortcut

6. Right-click on the desktop shortcut to DDM again and select "Rename", giving the shortcut the name of your choice

7. On the laptop, repeat steps 1 thru 6, but at step #4 change mDP to HDMI

Note on some models "mDP" may be mapped as "DP2" - not sure about the U2415.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 26th, 2018 06:00

Great! Thanks.

3 Posts

January 12th, 2019 02:00

I just came across this thread. I'm trying to do the same thing with two Dell XPS 13 feeding the same Dell U2415 monitor. I get an error at step 4:

In the "Target" field, *append* "/SetActiveInput mDP" (without the quotes) to the existing target

From the shortcut, I went to the target field in properties:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell\Dell Display Manager\ddm.exe"

and added the following (in bold):

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell\Dell Display Manager\ddm.exe"/HDMI (MHL) 1

I also tried the same text with and without quotes (and moving the closing quote to the end). Unfortunately, I received the error displayed below:

2019-01-12 04_42_56-.png

Any suggestions about how to proceed?

Thanks,

David

425 Posts

January 13th, 2019 02:00

Try the following:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell\Dell Display Manager\ddm.exe" /SetActiveInput HDMI

You must have a *space* between the pathname to ddm.exe and the commandline you want DDM to execute.

3 Posts

January 14th, 2019 12:00

swamped207,

Many thanks for the guidance. So I'm almost there. I followed the steps in the original post with your correction. I am able to swap from one computer (Niki) to the other computer (Harris) by hitting the shortcut key of Ctrl + Alt + H. However, I am unable to go from Harris back to Niki by hitting the shortcut key of Ctrl + Alt + N.

Any thoughts as to the issue and what I need to correct?

Niki.PNGHarris.png

3 Posts

January 16th, 2019 03:00

That took care of it. Many thanks!

No Events found!