Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

P

14 Posts

August 23rd, 2015 07:00

U2415 standby settings issue

Hello community,

I recently purchased a U2415 monitor and I'm using it with a Linux machine. The monitor is really nice and there is only one issue I have with it: After the computer goes inactive and the video card stops sending a video signal the monitor should switch to standby automatically. What happens, however, is that there is an OSD message box telling me that the monitor will switch to standby in 5 minutes and a progress bar showing the remaining time. I would like to switch off this delay, however I don't seem to find any settings for it in the OSD menu. I have been advised to use the Dell Display Manager, however it is designed for Windows only and, installed through Wine, doesn't find a display driver. Installing the display driver, however, fails because the installer doesn't recognize that a Dell monitor is connected.

My questions now are: Is there a way to change this setting without using the Display Manger? If not, is it possible to change the setting using a Windows machine and will this setting be preserved if connected to the Linux machine again? In other words, is this setting saved in the monitor itself or in the computer it is connected to?

Thanks in advance,

PhotonX

14 Posts

August 24th, 2015 09:00

Thanks for the hint, I will try to play around with DPMS and report back!

32 Posts

August 24th, 2015 09:00

I've had some similar problems (not exactly the same model). I found in one case it was the HDMI cable that I was using - using a new cable allowed the monitor to sleep. Also found similar things when using DVI, but it was OK using HDMI or DisplayPort.

It's not a setting in Display Manager. It's a signal that your OS should send to the monitor, depending on power options.

14 Posts

August 24th, 2015 13:00

So I tried and it looks like it is actually a monitor issue. If I send the off/suspend/standby signal (doesn't matter which one) via DPMS the monitors turns black for a moment but switches on again after an instant with the message box mentioned above.

14 Posts

August 25th, 2015 00:00

You're right, any reply is better than no reply. :) The graphics card is actually an APU, AMD A4-3400 connected via HDMI. But I can test on a different machine to make sure that the graphics card is not the problem.

14 Posts

August 25th, 2015 06:00

I realized that I have no other screens I could connect via HDMI. If I connect another screen via DVI switching to standby works fine. So it is either a monitor or an HDMI issue...

3 Posts

August 28th, 2015 01:00

I also have a standby issue with my Dell U2415.  I'm using Windows 8 and mDP connector.  I wrote a post just now but it's waiting for review.  Basically, when Windows does a "turn off display" my U2415 goes into a "dark grey" color.  That might be what you want.   For me, I actually want the monitor in "power save mode" as you are getting (after the 5 minute wait) because power save mode is completely black (instead of dark grey which you can see in a dark room).

14 Posts

August 28th, 2015 03:00

I think, your issue is actually software related since the monitor doesn't go to standby (stays on and only gets a black screen overlay with backlight still on). In my case it kind of goes to standby for a short moment but wakes up again with the bloody waiting message...

32 Posts

August 28th, 2015 15:00

If you haven't already, be sure to try a new HDMI cable. I was using a cheap one from years ago, but using the new "high speed" one that came with my new graphics card, the problem was gone.

14 Posts

August 30th, 2015 04:00

I would need to buy one... Currently I'm using an HDMI 1.4 "high speed with ethernet" (from here: www.mindfactory.de/.../2-00m-HDMI1-4-Anschlusskabel-High-Speed-mit-Ethernet-19pol-HDMI-Stecker-a_685338.html ).

14 Posts

September 7th, 2015 06:00

Another user has no such problems (using Ubuntu and HDMI). Maybe it's some kind of defect?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

September 8th, 2015 15:00

What happens, however, is that there is an OSD message box telling me that the monitor will switch to standby in 5 minutes and a progress bar showing the remaining time. I would like to switch off this delay, however I don't seem to find any settings for it in the OSD menu.
* Unfortunately, there is no way to stop this. No, the DDM does not change that monitor setting. You can see in the U2415 User‘s Guide page 49-50 that it is acting as designed.

(edited)

14 Posts

September 9th, 2015 06:00

@DELL Chris-M: Thanks for your reply! I'm a bit surprised because another user of the U2415 told me that he doesn't have this problem. Maybe there is a difference between the PC becoming inactive and no video cable being plugged in? That is, the monitor might be able to differentiate between a connected cable sending no video signal and a disconnected cable? Just wild guesses so far, trying to explain the facts..

(edited)

14 Posts

September 9th, 2015 09:00

Thanks for the clarification! So I guess, my problem is then that the monitor behaves as disconnected where it should behave as inactive. Is this correct? If so, where to search for a solution?

No Events found!