Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 25th, 2018 00:00

U2415, three, Daisy Chain, XPS 15-9550

My laptop is a dell XPS15 9550, with Intel R graphics 530, running windows 10. I have 3 dell ultrasharp u2415 monitors daisy chained together. 

The daisy chain format is as follows: (details inside parens are the wires that connect)

XPS15 -> (usb type c to display port adapter, hooked up to display port to display port cord) -> Monitor 1 -> (Display port to display port cord) -> Monitor 2 -> (Display port to display port cord) ->Monitor 3

So far, I have enabled DP 1.2 on 1st monitor in chain sequence, and disabled DP 1.2 on 2nd and 3rd monitors in sequence. Via my setup, the 1st and 2nd monitors are correctly being extended. But the third external ultrasharp is just mirroring the second external ultrasharp. I am unsure as to why the 3rd monitor is in mirror mode, and not extending properly. Any help? In windows display settings, when I click identify, the second and 3rd external monitors say that they are the same monitors. I'm not sure how to make windows distinguish between the last 2 monitors, so it will treat them as separate monitors. If you need additional info, I will be happy to provide it!

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 26th, 2018 07:00

This is how it should be setup =

XPS 15-9550 USB Type-C out port --> USB Type-C to DP adapter -> DP to DP cable -> #1 U2415 DP in port (DP 1.2 Enable)

#1 U2415 DP out port --> U2415 DP to mDP cable --> #2 U2415 mDP in port (DP 1.2 Enable)

#2 U2415 DP out port --> U2415 DP to mDP cable --> #3 U2415 mDP in port (DP 1.2 Disable)

March 26th, 2018 13:00

Got it, will try this when I get home in a week and update you on whether it worked. 

April 7th, 2018 02:00

So your suggestion worked perfectly, and the 3 monitor setup was going great for like a week, now I have a slightly different issue. My computer all of the sudden stopped successfully projecting/extending the display to the first monitor in the daisy chain. However, it is clear that the monitor is receiving the signal from my computer, as it is not going into sleep mode. Any ideas? I guessed that it might just be the cord or something, so I'm getting a new one shipped to me, but I'm not sure how to go about resolving this issue, if it turns out that it isn't just a cord gone bad. At the same time, I feel that it probably isn't the cable's fault, because the monitor is receiving a signal. Any suggestions?

What I've tried: Updating Nvidia, Intel drivers, windows, no problem connecting to 1st monitor hdmi from xps9550 to hdmi in, extended display worked briefly recently, but it was weird and the monitor displayed an improper aspect ratio for the brief moment that the projecting was working

UPDATE: I just hard reset the monitor, and everything works great now.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

April 10th, 2018 04:00

UPDATE: I just hard reset the monitor, and everything works great now.

Was that the hard reset, pull power cable from monitor, press power button for 10 seconds, reconnect power cable?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

April 10th, 2018 07:00

Yep, that seems to fix many issues on all Dell monitors.

April 10th, 2018 07:00

Hard reset: Pull all cables from monitor, hold down power button briefly, put cables back in.
No Events found!