Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 4th, 2020 08:00

U2417H, to multiple computers

Hello,

I have a work laptop and personal computer that's I'd like to have both hooked up to a single Dell U2417h monitor.

I have the monitor hooked up from work laptop via DP.

Personal computer only has VGA output, so I have that converted from VGA to mDP in.  However I get the message "No mDP Cable".

Is my issue because I have the single monitor with both DP and mDP?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

August 4th, 2020 12:00

@Nick S86  Building on my earlier reply, if you're certain that the only display output your system offers is VGA, then since the U2417H has an HDMI input, your best option is probably a VGA to HDMI adapter.  But be aware of two things if you decide to investigate that:

• Make sure you get an adapter designed to go in the correct direction for your use case, i.e. a VGA source to an HDMI display.  There are also HDMI to VGA adapters designed to connect an HDMI source to a VGA display.  Those would not work for your purpose here.
  • Converting between HDMI and VGA signals requires an active converter chip built into the adapter itself. Those active converter chips can be a bit finicky, so not all of them work with all systems.  Even if you buy one designed for the correct conversion direction, you might find that it doesn't work with your setup, in which case you might want to look at a different brand.  Unfortunately not everything that SHOULD work in the tech world always DOES work.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

August 4th, 2020 11:00

@Nick S86  Your issue is because DP/mDP to VGA cables can only be used to connect a DP/mDP source port to a VGA input on a display.  They cannot be used to connect a VGA output on a laptop to a DP/mDP input on a display.

2 Posts

August 4th, 2020 12:00

thank you so much for you advice!  I borrowed a vga to hdmi converter (my work didn't have any in stock) and it did the trick!  I wasn't aware of the mdp/dp not being able to be converted from VGA super helpful information to know!

No Events found!