Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

3 Posts

December 14th, 2018 09:00

U2417H, two identical, different view

Hey,

So I bought a second Dell monitor u2417h because I had one before and really liked it.

Now the problem. Can't make them look the same, the new one has a different hue on it.

I connect one to HDMI port and the second one to USB adapter (I have a laptop Dell Inspiron 13 6500u), now you would think its the case, which I thought too.

Until I tried to switch ports and cables, nothing helped the colors are the same on each monitor, doesn't matter how I connect them.

Of course, I tried playing with the colors and calibration, searched google and even saw the same issue here on the forum.

So its really annoying because I bought not a cheap display and it's not good (or does it?).

I saw that can happen because of different parts and so on..

Here I got some pics, hope you can see the problem :

https://imgur.com/a/3Ttf5n7

Is it supposed to be like it? is there any warranty? is there anything to do about it?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 15th, 2018 08:00

For my notes, click my username and via private message send me one of the U2417H service tag number.

This is normal and within manufacturer specifications. All Dell monitor panels are uniquely calibrated at the factory to their own unique panel. No two panels are identical, even of the same model. The colors may not match but still be within manufacturer specifications. If you want a closer match, you will need to purchase calibration hardware (colorimeter) and software. Then calibrate both monitors.

3 Posts

December 17th, 2018 23:00

The difference is big and very noticeable.  I bought the same product because of the quality, and got something else, worse. 

You suggest an expansive solution which is unacceptable.

1 Rookie

• 

719 Posts

December 18th, 2018 05:00

I think that you do not understand what are manufacturer specs.

When they say "factory calibrated with (avg.) error under X dE (to some unknown target, presumed to be sRGB gamut and D65)" they mean exactly that (including uncertainties explained in parenthesis).
-If you have a sparse set of points and take average distance to some points... you'll get points far away that average distance "X" by definition. If those points further away from average error are in greyscale they will be very noticeable.
-They make no claims about uniformity across the screen.
-If that "unknown target" is panel native gamut (extended a few outside sRGB) unit to unit differences will be bigger, visually & quantitatively bigger.

If your second unit has much worse contrast that will be a reason to return it (for me).

If you want such levels of quality, buy a NEC EA series or better, and maybe an i1DisplayPro. Otherwise you will be playing with this kind of manufacturer "tolerances".

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 18th, 2018 05:00

Regardless, I have stated the Dell policy. If purchased directly from Dell, you have 30 days from the Dell invoice date to return it for refund. If not purchased from Dell, contact the seller for their refund options.

3 Posts

December 20th, 2018 13:00

Thanks for the reply.

When I open a white page the display looks a bit pink...

No Events found!