Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 1st, 2020 00:00

U2421HE, USB Type-C, charge Samsung Galaxy Note 9

I have a mobile phone (Samsung Galaxy Note 9) that has a USB-C charging port. The charger says Output "9.0 V == 1.67 A or 5.0 V == 2.0 A". Can I charge my Samsung phone from the U2421HE using the provided USB Type-C (C to C) cable?

• 

25K Posts

July 1st, 2020 01:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. Have you tried testing it to see if the Samsung Galaxy Note 9 show as charging when connected?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

July 1st, 2020 07:00

@Chow SY  The manual for the U2421HE here says this about its USB-C input port: USB PD 20 V/3.25 A, 15 V/ 3A, 9 V/3 A, 5 V/3 A.  So yes, you can, because the USB-C port supports both 5V and 9V and can provide even more power than your phone's charger.  If your phone can't actually use that extra power, it won't.  You won't damage anything by connecting it to a source that can offer more power than the device being charged wants to use.  But sometimes phones support using more power than the charger included by the vendor.  And actually if your phone supports video output from its USB-C port AND you used a USB-C cable that actually supported video (rather than one that only supported charging and USB 2.0 data), you would even be able to use the display as a display for your phone.  The USB-C cable provided with the display would definitely support video.

5 Posts

July 9th, 2020 05:00

Hi @jphughan 

Thanks for your detailed answer, which gave me a sense of confidence to connect the phone to the monitor using the USBC-to-USBC cable provided. 

And you are right-- not only did the monitor charge the phone, the monitor also accepted video from the phone as well.  Yay!

ChowSY

5 Posts

July 9th, 2020 05:00

Yes, I have tried plugging in the Samsung Galaxy Note 9 using USBC-to-USBC cable and it did charge.

Thanks. 

5 Posts

July 9th, 2020 06:00

Oh, I forgot to mention something.

After I plugged in my Samsung Galaxy Note 9, I also plugged in a USB keyboard and USB mouse to the USB slots of the monitor.  I could navigate my phone using the keyboard and mouse instead of the touchscreen of the phone; in other words, the monitor fulfilled the function of a Samsung Dex Charging Station.  

The U2421HE monitor doesn't have a built in speaker, so when I watch video using the above connection, I needed to use the phone's speaker for sound.  

ChowSY.  

No Events found!