Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 16th, 2015 08:00

U2515H, GTX 770 DP, randomly goes black

I purchased this monitor about 4 weeks ago. The screen goes black only for a 1-2 seconds and then back to normal. This happens randomly. I am pretty sure I can rule out the GPU since my previous monitor U2412M was running with it and it didn't go randomly black. I was running Windows 10 and initially thought maybe this was due to beta software. However I have been running Windows 7 now for a few days and problem remains. I am using Display Port, the GPU is a EVGA Nvidia GTX 770.

March 16th, 2015 14:00

* REV A00  S/N : CN-09X2VY-64180-4BJ-01FL
* No USB upstream cable was connected
* DDM uninstalled
* Power Management settings applied

I will test it now.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 16th, 2015 14:00

* What is the revision (A00) and 20 digit serial number?

* Disconnect the monitor USB upstream cable from the computer. Re-test

* If installed, uninstall the Dell DDM, restart the computer. Re-test

* Click Start
* Type power
* Click "change power-saving settings"
* Right of the dotted one, click "Change plan settings"
* Click "Change advanced power settings"
* Scroll down and open PCI Express- Link State Power Management
* Change this to Off
* Click Apply- OK
* Close all open windows and re-test

12 Posts

March 31st, 2015 06:00

I have also got this problem and have some feedback based on the suggestions for testing by Chris above.

I bought two of these monitors - here is the details of one of them:

Firmware: A01

S/N: CN-09X2VY-64180-4CO-0VTL

Display port connection to one of the monitors (set to DP 1.2), then daisy chained via DP - MDP to the other monitor (not set to DP 1.2).

I was initially getting this happening very frequently. Blacking out for a few seconds every x number of minutes.

I then removed the USB upstream cable from the first monitor and the frequency of the black outs went down a lot.

However it still happened. I then removed the USB upstream cable from the other monitor and since doing that the problem has gone away.

So my question is, why is the USB connection causing this problem and how can I fix it? The USB ports are really useful as it's a USB3 hub and my only option for connecting USB3 devices at the moment.

Is this a fault with the monitor or caused by other factors?

Thanks in advance.

March 31st, 2015 06:00

I am done testing and it seems the solution was  :

* If installed, uninstall the Dell DDM, restart the computer. Re-test

-The monitor rarely goes black now and I think it is only due to aero theme on Windows 7 when changing from full screen gaming to normal desktop.

Thanks for the help.

12 Posts

March 31st, 2015 11:00

That's interesting Helgi. I haven't got the Dell DDM installed at all and the only thing that has fixed it for me is removing both the upstream USB cable from both monitors.

Hoping there is a solution to this that will allow the use of the USB hub in the monitor and that it isn't a core fault with the unit.

12 Posts

March 31st, 2015 13:00

To add this this, after no black out's since taking out the USB upstream cable from the second monitor that still had it connected, I have just had a single blackout..

So my problem is not solved.

This is a strange issue. Obviously made very bad by the USB cable being plugged in but still happens - though much less frequently - without one plugged in.

Any insight would be appreciated here before I'm forced to return both monitors :(

3 Posts

April 8th, 2015 05:00

Count me as someone who is also seeing this problem. I have a NVIDIA GTX 780 (Zotac 3Gb) connected from GTX Displayport to mDP on the monitor. I've used the USB 3.0 hub for various devices including iPhone6 and a USB hard drive.

My system is a dual boot Hackintosh into Yosemite 10.10.2 and Windows 8.1, I don't see this problem the Hackintosh side but do on Windows 8.1 I believe. I've uninstalled all of the NVIDIA drivers and rebooted, reinstalled and still see this problem.

I am using the Dell Display Manager and that doesn't fix it, no virtual desktops setup. I will uninstall that tonight so see if it fixes it plus removing the USB 3.0 cable.

I've used two DP -> mDP cables and the problem occurs on both cables so its not that. I'm running 2560 x 1440 resolution.

The weird thing is that sometimes, just sometimes, the screen is fine, no blanking. Then reboot and it reoccurs. If it was overheating in the video card, then I'd understand or heat/power issues, but it occurs on cold reboot and no load on the card. So its a screen, sync or power issue I believe.

Help!

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

April 8th, 2015 12:00

I need some data. I am not sure what video out ports are on those video cards. If they have both DP out and mDP out, test them both going to the U2515H =
Video card DP out --> DP to DP cable --> U2515H DP in
Video card DP out --> DP to mDP cable --> U2515H mDP in

Video card mDP out --> mDP to mDP cable --> U2515H mDP in
Video card mDP out --> mDP to DP cable --> U2515H DP in

If you decide to get them exchanged via Dell Technical Support, send me the exchange dispatch numbers via private message (click my username) .

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

April 10th, 2015 09:00

Nope. We are trying to get captures but can only capture from USA customers. All four of you are not in USA.

12 Posts

April 10th, 2015 09:00

Chris, is there any information internally as to why this happens or can happen?

I still get the black out's but not that frequently. I have reconnected the USB upstream cable to one of my monitors (the one at the end of the daisy chain).

As I am daisy chaining I'm not sure if the fault / issue could be with the first monitor in the chain. However, the black out's can occur on one monitor only or both.

I only have one DP output on my ATI video card,

It's a frustrating problem. I'd rather not return both monitors if there might be a software or other fix to the issue.

12 Posts

April 13th, 2015 12:00

Right, I'd like to update this as I have solved the problem.

I simply changed over from a DP - DP cable (that I used previously without issue) to the DP -> MDP cable that comes with the monitor. I then daisy chain out from it to the other monitor DP -> MDP.

Since making this change I've had no black out's at all.

So at least in my case it appears to be cable related. For anyone having this issue, make sure your using the cable that comes with the monitor or try another cable to rule that out.

April 20th, 2015 14:00

@JamesAllenUk:

Are both your monitors still working fine??

Give us an update, please.

Kind regards

12 Posts

April 22nd, 2015 02:00

Hi Johan,

Yeah both monitors have been rock solid since I changed cables.

1 Message

April 25th, 2015 08:00

I had a similar issue (also connected via DP, to Radean R9290). My problems completely dissapeared after disconnecting USB upstream cable. As this was not a real option, as I needed the USB from the monitor, I kept trying other options and found that the black-outs completely dissapeared when  I switched from the USB2.0 port of my PC (accidentally chose that one) to a USB 3.0 port!

7 Posts

April 27th, 2015 10:00

No Events found!