Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

November 13th, 2017 04:00

U2515H HDMI, GeForce 9800GT, POST/BIOS screens not showing

Hello, I have just bought the U2515H monitor. It works well with my MacBook Pro. But I have connected it also to my PC over HDMI cable and I cannot see the POST/BIOS screen, monitor says I need to set 2560×1440 resolution, which is obviously not the case for PC POST boot. GPU is GeForce 9800GT with no fans and it will not be replaced. Please advise.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 13th, 2017 05:00

Obviously the POST/BIOS screens are using a much lower resolution. Either 640x480 or 800x600. We know that the U2515H is hardware capable of doing those resolutions. See page 12 of the U2515H User's Guide. So this is a video card port or cabling issue.

You need to power all off. Disconnect the MacBook Pro and its cabling from the U2515H. Then test every available 9800GT video out port to the U2515H video in ports to see which 9800GT port can show that lower resolution on the U2515H.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 13th, 2017 07:00

List every video out port on that nine year old 9800GT.

6 Posts

November 13th, 2017 07:00

Hello Chris! Thanks for quick response! Unfortunately I have tried 4 different cables, I bought 3 new ones, but none of them works. I even tried DVI-HDMI cable but the result is the same. This is really annoying because new monitor should be backward compatible with PC hardware... Before, that PC was working with two Samsung monitors and one LG monitor using VGA/DVI/HDMI outputs and there was no such problem.. so this is the Dell monitor problem I guess..

6 Posts

November 13th, 2017 08:00

nine-year-old is not an argument for ANY new hardware to miss the basic functionalities and not to be backward compatible.. this is the ONLY monitor that does not work with the PC box. i am sure there may be some bug in the firmware and i am not sure if replacing whole computer set because of monitor upgrade is the way to go..

www.gigabyte.com/.../GV-N98TSL-1GI

GV-N98TSL-1GI

Graphics Processing GeForce 9800 GT

Core Clock 600 MHz

Memory Clock 1800 MHz

Memory Size 1 GB

Memory Type GDDR3

Memory Bus 256 bit

Card Bus PCI-E 2.0

Digital max resolution 2560 x 1600

Analog max resolution 2048 x 1536

Multi-view Yes

DirectX 10

OpenGL 2.1

Shader Clock 1500 MHz

6 Posts

November 13th, 2017 09:00

as an example, i would say i really like my +20 years old volvo, and i don't really find it necessary to replace a car because of front window or radio replacement :-) :-)

6 Posts

November 13th, 2017 11:00

also i think it would be really nice when monitor could auto detect active input, that is display first active picture, so i could see the picture form mac when only mac is active, and see the picture from pc when pc is active.. without manual switch each time :-) please consider such option in future firmware update that would be really nice to have with this amazing monitor! :-)

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 13th, 2017 12:00

I never stated, "replace the computer". I was implying that a current video card might fix the issue. I can say that Dell never tested on old video cards. We tested on the current video cards offered on our Dell desktops. Firmware updates are costly to Dell and are only done for systemic failures.

I am not aware of any DVI to HDMI cables that would do 2560x1440. Most only do 1920x1080. You would need to purchase an additional active converter device.

Download and install the latest driver from Nvidia for the GeForce 9800 GT. Reboot the PC when done

Test 1 =
GeForce 9800 GT HDMI out port --> HDMI to HDMI cable --> U2515H HDMI in port #1

Test 2 =
GeForce 9800 GT HDMI out port --> HDMI to HDMI cable --> U2515H HDMI in port #2

Test 3 (to verify the issue is with the GeForce 9800 GT)  =
From a current computer video card HDMI out port --> HDMI to HDMI cable --> U2515H HDMI in port #1

Test 4 (to verify the issue is with the GeForce 9800 GT) =
From a current computer video card HDMI out port --> HDMI to HDMI cable --> U2515H HDMI in port #1

6 Posts

November 13th, 2017 13:00

Thanks Chris! I think you should really verify this nice monitor against VESA compliance because it does not seems to be compliant.. it cannot do really basic stuff around PC that were there since 80s.. it may need more testing than connecting to one or two modern computers..

The problem is U2515H cannot cope with basic VESA/PC/POST timings, which other monitors can do well with no problem. The problem is only during PC POST (640x480/800x600). Then it gives the native resolution using any kind of cable/connection. The problem is only with this particular monitor.

I have tried:

DVI-D <-> HDMI cable, no video on POST, good video on OS running.

HDMI <-> HDMI cable (4096px capable), no video on POST, good video on OS running.

DVI <-> HDMI_ADAPTER <-> HDMI cable (4096px capable), no video on POST, good video on OS running.

Sorry. I am also surprised.. but that prevents me for instance to select OS to boot or change BIOS settings..

With other monitor connected I set Windoze to run and when it runs I get the correct Windoze picture, until then the screen it blank. I cannot for instance to select FreeBSD to boot, or change anything in BIOS.. and I would rather not connect additional monitor only to do that :-)

Thank you for your support and patience Chris.. this is kind of unusual situation I would never suspect from such a nice device from a respected vendor..

No Events found!