Highlighted
cjwb89
1 Copper

U2515H, flickering

I recently bought two Dell U2515H monitors. One is working perfectly the other constantly flickers on and off and occasionally just goes completely black and I have to restart it. Occasionally it wont do this for a while and seems to be working then will randomly begin flickering again.   I've tried switching the cables around and tried connecting with DP instead of mDP and even bought some new cables but nothing seems to work, and considering the other monitor works just fine I'm wondering if there is anything else I could try before I claim on warranty as i'd rather not go thorough the hassle of replacing it as I need it for work. If it helps at all I'm on windows 10 and my video card is the Nvidia GTX 970. All drivers up to date.

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

RE: U2515H, flickering

Remove the working monitor and test only the problem monitor on the computer.

* Turn the computer and both U2515H off
* Disconnect both monitors from the computer
* Disconnect all cables from the problem monitor
* Press its power button for 15 seconds
* Reconnect the power cable and the mDP to DP cable to the U2515H
* Connect the mDP to DP cable to the computer
* Turn the U2515H on, then the computer

0 Kudos
cjwb89
1 Copper

RE: Dell U2515H Turning off / flickering

Thanks for your reply Chris, I've tried this but unfortunately I am still getting the same thing

0 Kudos

0 Kudos
CraigPDX
1 Copper

I've only had my monitor a few weeks and I'm also having the flickering problem, but so far only under a specific condition - when ambient room temp climbs above 85 degreesF.

I have a home-built desk-top that is well ventilated, my graphics card (ATI FirePro V4800) has a built-in fan, but I have no air conditioning.  Recently we had hot weather and the monitor started flashing.

Monitor is connected to graphics card via Dell-supplied DP-MDP cable. I did not install Dell's drivers or display manager, just running plug-n-play and all is generally well.

I have not tried using an HDMI cable from mother board to monitor, not sure the higher res will be supported.

Do you think this is a graphics card heat issue or a monitor defect?

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
wakaguaka
1 Nickel

Hello,
Is your monitor 4k resolution?
I had problems with flickering also and the original cable is a miniDP. Contacted my video card provider, did test and same thing everytime..they couldn't find the problem...I even took my monitor to a DELL support place in my town and according to them the monitor nor the cable were the problem.

I purchased a DP cable in amazon (https://www.amazon.com.mx/gp/product/B00CD1FB2Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) and the flickering stopped at 4k resolution with 60hz

Hope this helps

0 Kudos
danielmeng
1 Copper

I bought a U2515h in March and it is connected to an XPS8900 using the included DP-mDP cable. The screen randomly goes dark about once every two hours. If I power it off and then on, it will be good for another couple of hours. Any suggestions are welcome. Unfortunately it passes the 30-day return period. 

0 Kudos
mrm-770
1 Copper

Re: Dell U2515H Turning off / flickering

Hi All.

I also had this problem with my U2515H monitor.

It was done turn on/off with a large surge on the power line-it is my conclusion.

This phenomena was appeared when I was tune on/off my soldering station or a near fluorescent lamp which produce a large surge on the mains. Presumably Dell saved on the input common mode filter.

I added 47mH common mode chock to the power cord and I didn't have flickers any more!

IMG_20180501_222543_.jpg

(chock like this one: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/epcos-tdk/B82732R2601B030/495-2780-ND/1243544)

Regards.

0 Kudos