Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

6 Posts

November 24th, 2018 08:00

U2515H, loses connection with MacBook Pro

Hi,

I have a MacBook Pro, late 2009, connected the U2515H. This is a nice all round monitor, but lately it is losing connection with my MBP. There is no warning, the screen just goes black. Sometimes it comes back on after a second or two and if this goes on for a while, then it stays black. I have to unplug and re-plug it a number of times before it comes back.

I have read a few of the posts here and on the Apple boards, but there doesn't' seem to be a solution. Dell's message is that they don't test their monitors, or at least this one, with Apple equipment. Personally, I find that a weak excuse. A port is a port and I am assuming it is a standard, like what all other monitors use.

I am using the DP port on the monitor and mDP port on the MBP. If I use the HDMI port on the monitor, it doesn't have this problem of losing connection or power, but I do not get the full 2560x1440 resolution.

I bought the monitor 3 years ago, so it is out of warranty and that is kind of a bummer.

What is there to do to solve this issue?

Kind Regards,
Tdako

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 24th, 2018 08:00

We can see here under the U2515H Drivers & downloads --> Operating system, that the U2515H was never tested/validated by Dell with the Apple proprietary hardware and operating system.

U2515H.JPG

All we provided were true Windows PC testing and drivers.

You should post the issue and all troubleshooting on the Apple Forum and see what other Apple users have done as far as Apple PC troubleshooting and possible Apple proprietary cabling to purchase.

6 Posts

November 24th, 2018 09:00

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your fast reply. 

I was afraid this was going to be the reply. If it has not been tested with Apple hardware, how come some Windows users have the same problem?

Regards

6 Posts

Hi Chris,

A few years ago, I used the U2417H with an iMac and there were no issues. And that model also shows as having no Apple hardware drivers. 

Does this mean I was lucky?

6 Posts

Hi Chris,

Thanks very much for your help and suggestions.

I will be sure to check and doublecheck next time I want to buy a Dell monitor to see if it works with any Apple hardware. 
Could you recommend any that is maybe tested with Apple hardware?

Regards
Tdako

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

Could be any number of reasons. We cannot guess. If you want our users out here to assist in troubleshooting, you need to test the U2515H and cable on a Windows PC.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

Maybe. The U2417H was also not validated with Apple.

U2417H.JPG

The only monitor that Dell officially validated on Apple was the UP2715K. Again, the best advice we can offer is find users on the Apple Forum with the same MacBook Pro and ask them if they used the U2515H.

6 Posts

November 24th, 2018 10:00

Hi Chris,

Reading the many issues others have had with this monitor, all issues with this monitor and any Apple hardware have not been solved. It remains a headache. Which is sad. 

You can close this case. I won't be buying a Dell monitor as none of them is tested with Apple.

Thank you for your time, help and suggestions.

Regards
Tdako

6 Posts

November 26th, 2018 02:00

Hi Dell Support,

I would suggest you pass on to your sales team, that they should add to their messaging/marketing of their monitors that they have not been tested on Apple hardware, but only with Windows. This way, Apple users will not be faced with disappointment when support tells them, afterwards, that their monitors haven't been tested with their Apple hardware.

But of course, we all know Dell will not do this. Revenue is more important. And to lose a customer afterwards with a weak excuse like "it hasn't been tested on Apple hardware", it's ok.

Let's assume for one minute that the issue is indeed with the monitor. Trying to work with the customer and helping to at least find out where the issue could be, would be great customer service. The answer could then be fed back to R&D for them to find a solution. This closes the circle in a products development cycle.

I cannot begin to imagine the frustration other colleague users have at this issue, which largely remains unsolved.

Kind Regards
T.Dako

July 23rd, 2019 22:00

@tdako There is a recent firmware update that Dell claims "Fixes issue with No Display and Charging over USB-C on some non-Dell systems."

No Events found!