Pandabearr
2 Bronze

U2515H, when PC is powered off, monitor takes 5 mins to go into standby...

Hello. I recently bought a Dell U2515H monitor and on the whole am really pleased with it, it's a great replacement for the U2312HM I used to have. 

One thing which really annoys me though, is that when I power off/put the PC to sleep, the monitor takes 5 minutes to go to sleep itself, and this message comes up:

This never used to happen with my old monitor and it's really bloody annoying. I'm connected via HDMI. From the back of the graphics card (Asus 560Ti) I've got a DVI-> HDMI adapter, and I've tried a few different cables/adapters. Really odd, and I have the monitor showing full 1440p resolution, really not sure why it doesn't just go to sleep straight away. Would greatly appreciate anyone with any ideas 🙂

Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DELL-Chris M
Community Manager
Community Manager

RE: Dell U2515H - when PC is powered off, monitor takes 5 mins to go into standby...

According to both User's Guides, this is expected behavior. Any mode, Off, Standby, Sleep, will trigger the monitors to think no cable is connected. I am not sure why your U2312HM acted differently.

The U2515H User's Guide pages 46-47 =

The U2312HM User's Guide page 32 =

0 Kudos
Pandabearr
2 Bronze

RE: U2515H, when PC is powered off, monitor takes 5 mins to go into standby...

Hi Chris, thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

So, I think the key word here is "AND":

So, if either input is selected AND The cable isn't connected, the error should pop up. 

That said, the message is different on the 2312. "If either input is selected AND BOTH VGA and DVI are NOT connected" the box should come up.

The setup between the monitors and PC hasn't changed - same cable, same GPU, so i'm a little stumped as to why this monitor behaves differently. Also surprised this is standard functionality - would have thought it'd make more sense to have the monitor go to sleep with the PC, not x mins later. Is there any way I can make it behave like the old monitor?

0 Kudos
DELL-Chris M
Community Manager
Community Manager

I do not think so. But maybe another U2515H user will chime in.

0 Kudos
Business4Life
2 Bronze

DELL-Chris-M. Can you refer this issue to engineering so that they can create a firmware at least giving the option to go into standby mode both shortly after signal loss or VESA DPM standby request over HDMI (not just DP)? We now have lots of complaints about this issue. Here's a few:

en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19649607

en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19542746

en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19990284

en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19663988

www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/3f00f4/dell_monitor_entering_power_save_mode_in_5/

0 Kudos