Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 28th, 2017 12:00

U2518D, Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti, weird artifacts while playing games

Hello there,

so i ended up here, hopefully some of you guy can help me with my problem im having with this new monitor that i just got last week, it is OK, but since day 1 im kind of struggling while playing any game with i would say "smoothness" plus it does this weird artifacts over my screen.

First i thought its caused by V-sync function, but it is not, V-sync has no effect on this tearing or "overlapping" of frames i would say.

I bought the monitor for everyday use, focused more on picture quality, knowing, that 60hz is not ideal for gaming, no problem at all. But this tearing or whatever it is, is really eye distracting, and since its happening even 5-10 times per one WoT game that lasts 10-15 minutes, it kind of makes me not even want to play.

Youtube clips showing the issue, each clip has its title (name) and the name means in which second of the video is the problem visible, for example 021 means in 0:21 will the issue appear and so on.

During the last video it is visible 3 times at 0:13 , 0:55 and 2:19

Some more info about what i tried.

Tried completely reinstalling graphic drivers (uninstalling and clean install of new ones) didnt help, V-sync (which i originally thought was the problem) ON, OFF (in game) also i tried to force the graphic driver to overdrive my in game settings and used V-sync from geforce driver, also no change, tried to post on few different forums asking for a help but again, noone recognizes this.

My last monitor was LG L1960TR which i did not experience anything similar with for its lifespan, also i tested our Samsung S24F350 that we have at home if its not gonna do the same, but it does not (even when specs of those two are the same - i mean, if i set them both to 1920x1080 at 60Hz the problem only remains on Dell monitor)

My GPU is nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4Gb if it matters

Also there is one other odd thing it did today, when i set color mode to "game" the monitor seems to "darken" itself when the scene is dark (unlogically), it just does not want to hold consistent brightness with game mode from what it feels to me. Other modes seems to be just fine.

Now question is, is the monitor faulty, or i am doing something wrong?

ANY HELP IS MUCH APPRECIATED!

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 29th, 2017 06:00

* Was this purchased new directly from Dell or possibly used from a reseller?

* Use the U2518D OSD (On Screen Display) Menu- Others (page 43) to reset it to factory defaults

* List all of the video out ports on that Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti

7 Posts

November 29th, 2017 08:00

Hey Chris, thanks for answer!

The monitor was bought from a reseller here in Czech Republic (from the biggest e-shop thats here), monitor was brand new.

Did reset the monitor to its factory defaults as you adviced, no change.

My GPU supports 1x HDMI, 1x DP and 1x DVI port.

Also side note, i tried to plug in the HDMI cable to test it with different cable if that is not causing the problem. I ended up in kind of a dead end, i have 2 cables at home, one that i use to play on my PS4 (so its working HDMI cable i have connected to TV while playing) and another one, brand new that i bought for testing. None of them works - i mean, they work in a way... When i turn on the PC i can see BIOS options, and then (when windows starts its loading screens) it just goes all black and i have to reconnect to mDP again to see windows and to be able to operate PC.

I know about switching connection modes from mDP to HDMI in OSM btw.

I had same issue with this (not able to connect via HDMI) even on previous monitor, which was DELL U2515H - but that one i had to exchange because of bad pixels. But the HDMI connector works, second monitor we have at home is Samsung S24F350 which i was using connected via HDMI cable just fine.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 29th, 2017 10:00

Not a good comparison;
Samsung S24F350 maximum resolution = 1920x1080 60Hz
U2515H maximum resolution = 2560x1440 60Hz
U2518D maximum resolution = 2560x1440 60Hz

The fact that two monitors with the higher resolution have the same issue points to the video card or its driver. I would simply setup like this =

GTX 1050 Ti HDMI out port --> HDMI to HDMI cable --> TV HDMI in port

GTX 1050 Ti DP out --> U2518D DP to mDP cable --> U2518D mDP in port

7 Posts

Allright, the cable management issue is solved.

For anyone who might read this just info.

As manual says, some mDP 1.2 ports doesent work with certain graphic card, so in order to activate older version of mDP you need to keep checkmark in OSM while selecting mDP pushed for 8 seconds, then window will appear letting you choose either mDP 1.1 or 1.2.

The same applies to HDMI! Mine was probably set to HDMI 2.0 in default, but i had to switch it to HDMI 1.4 and my screen is now visible over HDMI cable.

Will do some testing now how the gameplay looks over HDMI cable and will let you know.

7 Posts

The exact setup you suggests is the one i am using, cable HDMI-HDMI connected 1st to GPu, then to monitor, monitor only shows graphic of first loading screen from which you can enter BIOS, then black screen showing "no HDMI signal from your device"

Then i have to connect DP-mDP cable, DP goes to GPU mDP to monitor-works.

Did not have any luck having signal on my monitor from GPU over HDMi cable

Tried disabling DP 1.2, using DP 1.1 still did not solve the tearing issue.

7 Posts

November 29th, 2017 13:00

Unfortunately i just have to confirm my initial post, problem consist even after connecting monitor to PC via HDMI cable, anything else i could try?

Is this something you ever seen before, Chris?

I wish to know if its defective monitor or just some incompatibility of hardware of my PC/monitor

7 Posts

November 30th, 2017 07:00

I dont get your point, but instructions are correct, yes.

My GPU www.asus.com/.../ (says it supports HDMI 2.0)

Any idea how to solve my monitor tearing issue?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 30th, 2017 07:00

Are these instructions correct?

Default is HDMI 2.0. If your video card has older HDMI 1.4 =
* Press the Menu button
* Go to Input Source
* Select HDMI and hold down the button for 8 seconds. A choice should appear for HDMI 2.0 or HDMI 1.4
* Select HDMI 1.4

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 30th, 2017 08:00

So as to assist other users who might have the same HDMI 2.0 to 1.1 issue. I would try to replicate the tearing with this monitor on a different computer. Or you could initiate a monitor exchange. Test the replacement before sending any monitor back to Dell. If the replacement monitor does not have the issue, keep it and send us the original monitor. If the replacement monitor has the same issue, I doubt that they both could be defective. Send the replacement monitor back to Dell. Look to the cabling, video card drivers, or video card as the culprit.

7 Posts

December 1st, 2017 11:00

Ok, and could you help me a little with initiating the exchange if i decide to do that?

I have the service tag on my monitor, i have both, the serial number even the "express serial code" , first is 7 letters long, the second one 11 numbers.

Should i call local dell support (for Czech republic, is there any?) and ask them for a replacement monitor?

They should send me the replacement monitor even without the need of sending them my "maybe-defective" model first?

Thanks for answers once again, Chris!

No Events found!