Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 7th, 2011 19:00

U2711 Brightness is NOT Adjustable

I recently noticed that my U2711 will not adjust its brightness. I originally had a DVI setup, and have since switched to DisplayPort. My troubleshooting has involved resetting the monitor to factory settings, inspecting the service menu, trying every permutation of the mode settings, and extensive Googling on the subject. As you can imagine, searching for things involving a monitor and brightness bring up everything under the sun, most significantly reviews, but no solutions to my problem.

My hypothesis was that since Dynamic Contrast is greyed out in everything except Game or Video/Multimedia mode that the DC was overriding the brightness setting. I then found out that the brightness setting doesn't work even with the DC turned off in the aforementioned modes.

Is this a known issue? I haven't been able to find mention of it anywhere, but again, if something like this had been reported, even the most strenuous searching rendered no results.

The capacitive buttons work flawlessly in every other menu setting, even adjusting the contrast directly beside the brightness in the same menu. I would like to know especially since I use the monitor for professional photographic work, and calibration with a photospectrometer would be greatly aided with a functioning brightness adjustment.

6 Posts

June 22nd, 2011 18:00

sf_jamey and others who might stumble upon this: The monitor's brightness was indeed faulty.

The health of my monitor began deteriorating significantly a couple weeks back, so I RMA'd the beast. The more recent features included the left half of the screen displaying what looked like clock and phase lines, which deteriorated rapidly to bands of color, and ultimately very bright white over the exact left half of the screen. At the worst times, the right half of the monitor would display only black. No cable change or menu setting would remedy the situation.

The replacement is an A01 refurb, and I've only been using it for about three hours, but it's doing well. The brightness IS adjustable on the new monitor (DP cable).

If you call for an RMA, be sure to have your monitor's serial number handy, along with its service code and express (?) code.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 11th, 2011 19:00

leviathor,

My gut says that using DP (DisplayPort)  has disabled the Brightness just like it does for Auto Adjust, Gamma, and Mode Selection. I have asked Displays Engineering to test for this.

6 Posts

March 12th, 2011 06:00

Chris, thank you for checking on this. While Auto Adjust is grayed out, I have no problem changing modes or switching gamma between 1.8 and 2.2. Position, noise, clock, phase and DC are all grayed out as well, but phase and clock are encoded into DP (and DVI/HDMI). Position can be controlled in other ways, and noise isn't an issue. As I tested before, even modes which support disabling DC have an ineffective brightness adjustment.

5 Posts

April 19th, 2011 16:00

Hi,

For what it's worth, I have a similar., intermittent issue where the brightness goes to full scale, and is not adjustable.  I can change the settings in the menu, but brightness stays full-scale to my eyes.  This problem usually occurs when room temperature is high, and it occasionally manifests itself as a flickering.  It's such an intermittent problem that I've been reluctant to send the monitor off to service, on the assumption that it will probably work just fine when it's checked.

-Jamey.

6 Posts

May 23rd, 2011 09:00

Jamey: Is it adjustable when it is behaving? Which connection type do you use?

I'm still interested as to whether my original issue is a problem with my monitor, or if it is by design. I maintain that the brightness should be adjustable with DP.

6 Posts

May 23rd, 2011 10:00

Jamey,

Besides Chris' message above, I have not had any substantial technical assistance with this.

It's nice that you chimed in to say your DVI has adjustable brightness: mine didn't work. This makes me even more suspicious of the brightness adjustment of my monitor. I prefer working in cool environments, but my brightness hasn't been adjustable in any livable temperature.

Your issue sounds like quite the pickle. It'd be nice to have a second monitor to see if the faulty behavior is persistent (*nudge, nudge* Dell, advanced RMA :P).

5 Posts

May 23rd, 2011 10:00

leviathor,

When the brightness is  behaving, it is adjustable by the buttons.  When the monitor is misbehaving, it will suddenly go to full-scale brightness (by the eye) while the buttons and on-screen software still indicate 50% brightness.  Adjusting the brightness on the on-screen software has no effect.  I use the dvi connection.

I'm also very interested in how this problem can be fixed ... have you had any luck contacting dell to see about repair / diagnosis?  Because my problem is intermittent, I'm afraid that if I send it off for repair, they will just give it a clean bill of health.  But the problem is annoying enough that I may give it a try.

5 Posts

May 23rd, 2011 11:00

Agreed -- I'd be willing to bet that your monitor is just like mine, except that it exhibits the problem at all times.  Have you considered sending yours back for warranty service?

5 Posts

May 23rd, 2011 12:00

Let me know if you figure anything out.  I have a old monitor I could use during warranty service, but it's such a big pain that I'd rather not go that route unless I could have some confidence that they would actually fix the thing.

Intermittent electrical problems are the worst :-).

6 Posts

May 23rd, 2011 12:00

I have considered it, but not in awhile. My profiles correct the brightness (it's a significant change down to 120 cd/m^2) sufficiently for my use, but it still rubs me the wrong way to have to treat the symptoms, so to speak.

I would like confirmation--either way--of brightness adjustability using DisplayPort. Since my monitor's brightness was not adjustable using DVI, I tend to think that it is a defect in the monitor. If it is a defect in the monitor, an advanced RMA is the right thing on Dell's part, since I wouldn't be stranded without my display for X-number of weeks. Also, shipping one of these puppies is probably not all that inexpensive. Knowing that the replacement works without first investing in the shipping would be worthwhile. I guess it's time to wait on a response from Chris again, in this regard.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 24th, 2011 07:00

leviathor,

In any monitor exchange, you get the replacement before you ship the original back to Dell.

5 Posts

June 23rd, 2011 10:00

Thanks for the update.  I think I'll RMA mine as well, even though it is something of a leviathan task :-).  Eyestrain gets to be a bit much when you're staring at a full-bright monitor for hours.

2 Posts

August 6th, 2019 15:00

The brightness deteriorated quickly and I was about to toss it. But I have an older desktop computer with a DVI port and now the display won't see the scrap yard for awhile.

No Events found!