Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 14th, 2014 11:00

U2711 DP sleep problem

I just wanted to create a new thread because it is 2014 now and this thread, started in 2010, is still valid for me, but closed for replying.
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19339056.aspx?pi23185=19

So I am posting here. No fix has been suggested by Dell. Dell's moderator Chris has indicated he has encountered 'resistance' bringing up the topic internally. The monitor did cost me USD 1000 at the time and it is still a daily frustration. Which has been ignored by Dell, largely. Good news, the monitor is still great - when it's awake.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 15th, 2014 07:00

rusty75,

The monitor does not control the DP (DisplayPort) handshake to the video card DP. All the monitor does is "accept" the DP handshake from the video card DP. The video card DP needs to re-initiate the DP handshake when returning from sleepmode.
* Power off the computer and monitor
* For DP testing, the monitor should only have two things plugged into it, Dell power cable and the Dell DP cable
* From the monitor connect the DP cable to the video card DP slot
* Power on the monitor, then the computer
* Open the monitor OSD (On Screen Display)
* Go to Other Settings- Factory Reset- Reset All Settings
* Go to Input Source
* Choose DisplayPort
* Exit the monitor OSD
* Allow the computer to go into PSM (power save mode), then press a key on the keyboard. What happens?

4 Posts

January 16th, 2014 13:00

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the detailed reply. I have also read all the suggestions, the only problem is shutting down my pc since it is a server that i want to keep running. That also implies the monitor doesnt show a signal from some point on and i need to reboot it. However your reply is a good summary, and i understand that no other options are really available.

thanks

4 Posts

January 22nd, 2014 14:00

Hello Chris a.o.,

I think I have found a solution - at least this works reproducably for my Mac Mini / Dell monitor. All you need is an Android phone, or tablet - and the app Splashtop. Install it on both the mac Mini (In my case, Windows 7 Ultimate), and the tablet. I have purchased the app because it is actually an ideal tool in its own right. (Splashtop HD for Android). Upon connecting to the Mac Mini, and moving the mouse around a bit, clicking a window open /closed, the screen comes back to life. Sure the screen resolution has changed, but upon exiting the app, the screen switches back to original resolution and the monitor stays on.

Hope it helps some of you out there.

No Events found!