toojays
1 Copper

Re: HDMI to U2711

Jump to solution

The U2711 manual here states the maximum resolution via HDMI is 1080p. Max via DP is 2560x1440. Guerdon, have you tried forcing 2560x1440 via HDMI yourself? Did you just save the EDID via DP, and then force the video driver to use this EDID on HDMI? I'm considering doing that, since I have a laptop which appears to be able to put audio out via HDMI, but not via DP.

0 Kudos
Guerdon
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Toojays, you are correct regarding the stated maximum resolution, as mentioned in my post 18/6/11 3:12 above.  In other words, Dell has stated in its documentation that the maximum possible resolution via HDMI is 1080p (i.e. 1920 x 1080) which is what has caused a lot of the confusion.

You should be aware that HDMI and DP are simply methods of communication and as such, there is no reason why HDMI should be restricted to 1920 x 1080 when DP can be used to display 2560 x 1440.  Consequently, some people understood that Dell had somehow restricted the input of the HDMI port; however, Dell subsequently confirmed that the U2711's HDMI port is passive and does not restrict the input signal.

You can be assured that IF your graphics card and driver can produce 2560 x 1440 via HDMI (and your cable can transmit such a signal over HDMI) that the U2711 will be able to display 2560 x 1440 at 60Hz and 32-bit colour via HDMI (i.e. as it can via DP).

The easiest way to select this resolution may well be via the control panel for your graphics card where you create a custom resolution.  This did not always work for older drivers; however, the more up to date drivers are capable of creating and using this custom resolution.  I understand that some people have been able to edit the EDID file, which presumably is just to add 2560 x 1440 to the list of selectable resolutions; however, I can't really comment on that further.

The following may prove useful reading if you require further information http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1479962.  Much of the commentary on editing the EDID file is towards the end of that thread and there are other links there too.

As for wanting to use HDMI instead of DP, I don't see the reason for this.  DP can provide the same functionality as HDMI (i.e. it can transmit audio) so perhaps your problem is with your audio settings.

Asadi
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Read this.

www.tomshardware.co.uk/.../293955-13-displayport-cable-providing-power

Its applies to HDMI as well, Not sure what spec my lead is but I tried 3of them. Instead I had to connect my laptop to a HDMI - DVI adapter to run max res using a problem HDMI lead. It's working perfectly (at the moment) I will have to see if there are any changes tomorrow as they were on HDMI, day 2, today. My sky box runs through HDMI at 1080i with no issued.

I'm running an XPS M1530 with a nVidia 8600 GTM.

I've had so many issues including 2 hours of research yesterday just to get max res to work through creating a custom resolution.

If there are any further issues it's going back, I'm not waiting 1 year for it to act up like some people came across in the thread.

0 Kudos
Asadi
1 Copper

Jump to solution

btw, read what was posted by: jd1977   03-23-2011 at 03:00:05 PM

0 Kudos
Guerdon
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

The article to which you refer is regarding power provided over the cable, which I assume you are stating is an issue over HDMI in the same way as it is over DisplayPort.  This is a related but different question.

The O.P. is purely about being able to obtain full (i.e. 2560 x 1440) resolution over an HDMI connection to a U2711.

As mentioned above, this is possible via a custom resolution or by manually editing the EDID file (or preferably if Dell would create and issue something to update the EDID file to include 2560 x 1440 as a selectable option).

To be honest, I'm a bit confused about your post.  You mention using a HDMI to DVI cable to run max resolution and then mention a sky box running 1080i.

Firstly, I'd be very surprised to learn that you have a HDMI to Dual Link DVI cable (even if the cable looks like it has a Dual Link DVI connection) as apparently you need active electronics to convert the single link HDMI signal to a Dual Link DVI signal.  Otherwise, its is acting as a HDMI to Single Link DVI cable which I understand would not have sufficient bandwidth to carry the full 2560 x 1440 resolution.  However, if you're referring to 1920 x 1080 as being the full resolution due to Dell's stated native resolution over HDMI then this would make more sense.

AFAIK, in terms of bandwidth requirement, 1080i is half of 1080p (i.e. Dell's stated native resolution of the U2711) which is in turn half of 1440p (i.e. 2560 x 1440 progressive scan).

As for jd1977's comments on the article, s/he appears to simply be asking for a HDMI to DisplayPort cable recommendation, so I don't understand the relevance (and s/he's connecting to a U2311h not a U2711).

Regardless, I suggest you create a separate thread for your problem; however, I concur that there appears to be unresolved issues with power saving / shut down / display driver crash & reboot etc with DisplayPort and HDMI connections to the U2711.

0 Kudos
maros.kesjar
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi there.

I have simple question. Any1 solved this? Is it possible connect vostro computer with HDMI connector with U2711 at native resolution 2560x1440? Seems that no1 have working solution or no1 tryed that.

I have vostro 3750 and I'm plannig to buy U2711 monitor, so any answer will help me make decision.

Thx.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
112bz
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Dont buy U2711. Go goolge "U2711 problem" and in youtube.

As for your Vostro, sell it buy something else.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Guerdon,

We only support HDMI as a video mode with maximum resolution at 1920x1080. This is the standard on all Dell monitors with HDMI. This is a Product Group and Marketing decision. There are no plans to provide a flash firmware to allow for HDMI at prime mode 2560x1440. Any monitor firmware flashing is generally done in our hubs and only to correct issues. We already offer 2560x1440 when using the DP port or the DVI dual-link port.

0 Kudos
Puszta
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hy Chris M! I have a Dell xps l702x Notebook (gt555m 3gb) with hdmi and mini display port output. How can i use my dell u2711 Monitor with 2560 x 1440 resolution? :-/  Thnx

0 Kudos
Guerdon
1 Nickel

Jump to solution
0 Kudos