Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

May 5th, 2011 23:00

U2711, OSD locked?

Hi,

My U2711 monitor OSD menu had locked out itself.

Self had tried as per instructions to hold button (4) for 15 seconds to unlock but that didnt work. The "LOCKED" symbol still stayed on the screen.

Self had tried the self-test; button (1) + (4) and the test works, hence button (4) is working too.

How do I do a hard reset to clear the firmware or reset the menu to original state and unlock?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

cheers..

1 Message

March 16th, 2012 03:00

Hi found the solution to the pesky lock symbol on the net, thought I share it with you so the solution spreads :

Press and hold the two bottom buttons (4+5) for 15 seconds. the lock symbol will "unlock" after exactly 15 seconds and you are now able to use the OSD menu again! Funky part is that this is not mentioned in the Dell U2711 manuals (haven't been able to find anything about it).

JG

(edited)

1 Message

April 7th, 2013 22:00

I had this problem with a Dell U2711 screen.

None of the above techniques worked. But then I stumbled upon a solution.

Solution

1. Turn on a computer that is plugged into the currently selected screen input port (might require trial and error to work out which one).
  2. Press and hold lowest capacitive button for 15+ seconds.
  3. Screen stays on for the 15+ seconds required to unlock. Win.

What didn't work:

1. Computers turned off.
  2. Pressing and holding lowest capacitive button for 15+ seconds.
  3. Pressing and holding lowest two capacitive buttons for 15+ seconds.

The screen would go into standby mode about 5 seconds into the process.

But this creates an opportunity to disable someone's screen: set it to an input that they do not have, e.g. DisplayPort; Lock the screen; They can't unlock it unless there is a signal coming in on the DisplayPort input.:emotion-3:

6 Posts

January 27th, 2016 06:00

I have a U2711B and the lock button started appearing for some unknown reason.  For me, holding 4+5 did not work, but then I just tried holding button 5 (the bottom button) for about 15 seconds and the display unlocked.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 6th, 2011 15:00

armvalK,

* Power off the monitor
* Disconnect the power cord from the monitor
* Disconnect all monitor cords from the PC (USB, DVI, VGA, DisplayPort, HDMI, etc.)
* While disconnected, press and hold the monitor power button down for 5 seconds
* Reconnect the DVI cord to the monitor and to the PC video card
* Reconnect the power cord to the monitor
* Power on the monitor if it does not power on by itself
* Power on the PC
* Press the monitor Input Source Select button and choose DVI. Is it still locked?

3 Posts

May 6th, 2011 18:00

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the guidance.

Have tried but all other buttons are of no response and button (5) when touched, a "LOCK" icon still shows on the screen.

The floating dialog box warning "DISPLAY PORT CABLE" still jumps around the screen.

However, I tried again holding button (4) and (5) for 15 seconds or so... and voila the touch button response returned and the OSD came alive.... whew...

OSD is unlocked now and input source select working...

There is a condition which may have caused this :

I am using Dell U2711 and U2411 side by side.

Dell U2411 is located on the right, which is jsut next to the U2711 touch-senstive buttons. So each time I observed that button (5) of U2711 is frequently lighted which indicates that its being "touched" by something. After awhile, the OSD of U2711 became locked... :(

---

guess i have to move the U2411 a little further away from U2711...

3 Posts

October 20th, 2011 12:00

I have the same issue, tried all of the described above, and nothing helps.

Is there anything else that could be done?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 21st, 2011 08:00

tharlo,

What specific monitor model?

3 Posts

October 21st, 2011 08:00

u2711

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 22nd, 2011 15:00

Ok. If my instructions below did not clear it, if under warranty Dell should replace it.

If you only have a Dell order number for your monitor, you should contact Order Support for your country. They will need the following data -
Email Address:
Name:
Shipping Address:
Phone Number:
Monitor Order number:
Monitor 20 digit PPID number:
Reason:

If your monitor was purchased tied to a Dell computer, contact Technical Support for your country. They will need the following data -
Email Address:
Name:
Shipping Address:
Phone Number:
PC Service Tag number:
Monitor 20 digit PPID number:
Reason:

3 Posts

March 23rd, 2012 19:00

Hi Johan,

Much thanks for the tip! It works perfectly... :)

cheers

3 Posts

March 26th, 2012 12:00

I think I must contribute to the topic, as I have almoust miraculously found out how to fix the issue in my case, and this might help others.

It turns out that in order for the buttons to work, your fingertips have to be at least a bit electroconductive.

All the times that I tried to hold the buttons for 15 seconds in order to unlock the monitor - my fingers were very dry, and I failed. I never knew that dryness was the reason for my failure until by occasion I spat on my index finger in order to scrub some spot from the screen. I scrubbed it and then without much hope tried to hold the buttons, to see whether by any chance this time the monitor will unlock. To my amazement, this time the monitor unlocked.

So, the conclusion holds: keep your fingers conductive when you use capacitive buttons!

Hope this helps =)

To Dell support: you might consider including this case in your KB.

548 Posts

March 29th, 2012 02:00

A suggestion to Dell would be to update the U2711 users manual to indicate the OSD unlock button sequence and a note about overly dry fingers or low humidity may make the buttons less responsive.

Will we likely  see an updated manual?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 29th, 2012 08:00

skylarking,

All I can do is ask the team. I have no idea whether they have the resources to do it.

548 Posts

March 31st, 2012 00:00

Thanks.

We can only ask :emotion-1:

1 Message

May 13th, 2012 07:00

05/13/2012.

I am tearing out my hair with this dell monitor!!!  I have the dell 27" u2711 monitor.  No matter what I press, only the "lock" symbol appears.  I have already tried to hold down the X button, the menu button, both buttons for 10 seconds, 15 seconds, 30 seconds.  I even put lotion on my fingers.  I just does not unlock!!!  The monitor works fine besides not letting me get into the osd menu to make any changes at all.  Please dont tell me that I have to send the monitor in, and be out of a monitor for however long it takes Dell to figure out wth is wrong, while I am shorted a work moniot and cannot edit pictures in a non color calibrated monitor.  This is so wrong!!!  Horrible product!  I knew I should have bought the HP monitor with no OSD and no usb gimmicks.  Need help please!!!!  All the above suggestions do NOT unlock the osd.

No Events found!