Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

May 5th, 2011 23:00

U2711, OSD locked?

Hi,

My U2711 monitor OSD menu had locked out itself.

Self had tried as per instructions to hold button (4) for 15 seconds to unlock but that didnt work. The "LOCKED" symbol still stayed on the screen.

Self had tried the self-test; button (1) + (4) and the test works, hence button (4) is working too.

How do I do a hard reset to clear the firmware or reset the menu to original state and unlock?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

cheers..

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 14th, 2012 11:00

quin-u2711

* Switch the monitor off
* Disconnect all monitor cabling from the PC (VGA, DVI, HDMI, DP, USB, etc.)
* Disconnect the monitor power cord from the rear of the monitor
* Press and hold the monitor power button in for 5 seconds
* Reconnect the monitor to the PC video card
* Reconnect the monitor power cord to the rear of the monitor
* Switch the monitor on
* You must continue to hold the button #5 in until the unlock padlock appears

If still no go, get the monitor replaced if under warranty. We do not "repair" monitors. We simply replace them while under warranty. Once outside of the first 21 days from the invoice date, all replacements will be refurbished. Since you have a monitor Service Tag number, contact Technical Support for your country. They will need the following data -
Email Address:
Name:
Shipping Address:
Phone Number:
Service Tag number:
Monitor 20 digit PPID number:
Reason:

1 Message

June 23rd, 2012 07:00

Hi Tharlo!

thanks for your suggestion! it worked here!

Got a couple of U2711 and after 3rd day of working one started to show locked menu...

Button 4 & 5 hold for 15 seconds et voilà! unlocked.

DELL, better you made firmware and manual better!

1 Message

November 17th, 2012 05:00

So, my few month old u2711 that is otherwise perfect has this lock issue. Thankfully, I can still use it but, I have tried everything in this thread without success. Are there really no other options?

1 Message

July 1st, 2013 03:00

Hello DELL-Chris M!

Why did this happen to me? I  did not enable the lock myself, and it locked itself while I was using the computer and actively using the OSD (I can not have activated it by chance because I only used the "shortcuts" to brightness/contrast and Presets). I was in the middle of calibrating my display with my Spyder 4 Pro. I noticed that (before I was locked out) I activated the OSD without touching the key - my finger was 2-3cm from the "nr. 5" key. When I was asked by Spyder calibration software to change my brightness NOTHING happened when touching the keys. I tried turning the display off/on a couple of times then tried "pulling the plug" and reinstall it (the power plug...) Nothing happened .it was like the OSD keys were dead, I did not even see the lock symbol! - All the time the display worked, image was showing, only NO response from OSD key(s). I restarted the computer and now the lock symbol showed. Still I had no clue as how to unlock it - google + this thread helped me. (holding button 4+5 (counting from the top) for 15 seconds unlocked it an now all is fine and dandy.

Again what caused this to happen? Is my monitor (Dell U2711) starting to deteriorate?

1 Message

April 12th, 2014 00:00

Hi Tharlo, Thank you so much for providing the solution. It really did help !!! the miraculous tip was the highlight....it worked for me....Thanks again

1 Message

July 29th, 2015 20:00

Holding the menu button for 15 seconds WILL work - but there is a caveat!

In order for this to work, you must have a cable connected to the selected source with video input. For example, on my monitor, the selected source was VGA and I could not switch it to DVI. So I connected my U2711 to the VGA port on my laptop, switched the laptop on, and then held the menu button on the monitor for 15 seconds. Bam. Unlocked right away. I had tried unlocking all night without any luck. Only when I plugged in a VGA cable to the monitor with input was I able to unlock it.

It took me so long to figure this out that I took the time to create an account with Dell to share my findings. Best of luck unlocking your monitors!

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 27th, 2016 09:00

Thanks for posting this fix.

1 Message

April 5th, 2018 13:00

Karmadillo

Just had one of these come in to our shop today. After trying all of the other suggestions, this one worked.

I had this problem with a Dell U2711 screen.

None of the above techniques worked. But then I stumbled upon a solution.

Solution

1. Turn on a computer that is plugged into the currently selected screen input port (might require trial and error to work out which one).
  2. Press and hold lowest capacitive button for 15+ seconds.
  3. Screen stays on for the 15+ seconds required to unlock. Win.

1 Message

August 30th, 2023 19:08

@Karmadillo​ Oh my, this was it: The currently active input needs to have signal. Once it was actually displaying a picture, the 5th button (lowest, the menu button) for 15 seconds worked right away.

(edited)

No Events found!