skylarking
3 Zinc

Re: U2711 OSD Locked Out

Jump to solution

A suggestion to Dell would be to update the U2711 users manual to indicate the OSD unlock button sequence and a note about overly dry fingers or low humidity may make the buttons less responsive.

Will we likely  see an updated manual?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

skylarking,

All I can do is ask the team. I have no idea whether they have the resources to do it.

0 Kudos
skylarking
3 Zinc

Jump to solution

Thanks.

We can only ask

0 Kudos
quin-u2711
1 Copper

Jump to solution

05/13/2012.

I am tearing out my hair with this dell monitor!!!  I have the dell 27" u2711 monitor.  No matter what I press, only the "lock" symbol appears.  I have already tried to hold down the X button, the menu button, both buttons for 10 seconds, 15 seconds, 30 seconds.  I even put lotion on my fingers.  I just does not unlock!!!  The monitor works fine besides not letting me get into the osd menu to make any changes at all.  Please dont tell me that I have to send the monitor in, and be out of a monitor for however long it takes Dell to figure out wth is wrong, while I am shorted a work moniot and cannot edit pictures in a non color calibrated monitor.  This is so wrong!!!  Horrible product!  I knew I should have bought the HP monitor with no OSD and no usb gimmicks.  Need help please!!!!  All the above suggestions do NOT unlock the osd.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

quin-u2711

* Switch the monitor off
* Disconnect all monitor cabling from the PC (VGA, DVI, HDMI, DP, USB, etc.)
* Disconnect the monitor power cord from the rear of the monitor
* Press and hold the monitor power button in for 5 seconds
* Reconnect the monitor to the PC video card
* Reconnect the monitor power cord to the rear of the monitor
* Switch the monitor on
* You must continue to hold the button #5 in until the unlock padlock appears

If still no go, get the monitor replaced if under warranty. We do not "repair" monitors. We simply replace them while under warranty. Once outside of the first 21 days from the invoice date, all replacements will be refurbished. Since you have a monitor Service Tag number, contact Technical Support for your country. They will need the following data -
Email Address:
Name:
Shipping Address:
Phone Number:
Service Tag number:
Monitor 20 digit PPID number:
Reason:

0 Kudos
markcolangelo
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi Tharlo!

thanks for your suggestion! it worked here!

Got a couple of U2711 and after 3rd day of working one started to show locked menu...

Button 4 & 5 hold for 15 seconds et voilà! unlocked.

DELL, better you made firmware and manual better!

0 Kudos
flowtspec
1 Copper

Jump to solution

So, my few month old u2711 that is otherwise perfect has this lock issue. Thankfully, I can still use it but, I have tried everything in this thread without success. Are there really no other options?

0 Kudos
Karmadillo
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I had this problem with a Dell U2711 screen.

None of the above techniques worked. But then I stumbled upon a solution.

Solution

1. Turn on a computer that is plugged into the currently selected screen input port (might require trial and error to work out which one).
  2. Press and hold lowest capacitive button for 15+ seconds.
  3. Screen stays on for the 15+ seconds required to unlock. Win.

What didn't work:

1. Computers turned off.
  2. Pressing and holding lowest capacitive button for 15+ seconds.
  3. Pressing and holding lowest two capacitive buttons for 15+ seconds.

The screen would go into standby mode about 5 seconds into the process.

But this creates an opportunity to disable someone's screen: set it to an input that they do not have, e.g. DisplayPort; Lock the screen; They can't unlock it unless there is a signal coming in on the DisplayPort input.

jogibeard
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hello DELL-Chris M!

Why did this happen to me? I  did not enable the lock myself, and it locked itself while I was using the computer and actively using the OSD (I can not have activated it by chance because I only used the "shortcuts" to brightness/contrast and Presets). I was in the middle of calibrating my display with my Spyder 4 Pro. I noticed that (before I was locked out) I activated the OSD without touching the key - my finger was 2-3cm from the "nr. 5" key. When I was asked by Spyder calibration software to change my brightness NOTHING happened when touching the keys. I tried turning the display off/on a couple of times then tried "pulling the plug" and reinstall it (the power plug...) Nothing happened .it was like the OSD keys were dead, I did not even see the lock symbol! - All the time the display worked, image was showing, only NO response from OSD key(s). I restarted the computer and now the lock symbol showed. Still I had no clue as how to unlock it - google + this thread helped me. (holding button 4+5 (counting from the top) for 15 seconds unlocked it an now all is fine and dandy.

Again what caused this to happen? Is my monitor (Dell U2711) starting to deteriorate?

0 Kudos
SB_jeni
1 Copper

RE: U2711 OSD Locked Out

Jump to solution
Hi Tharlo, Thank you so much for providing the solution. It really did help !!! the miraculous tip was the highlight....it worked for me....Thanks again
0 Kudos