Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 17th, 2017 12:00

U2711, strange power saving and OSD freezing issue

Hello!

I recently bought a used Dell U2711 to include free with the following project I've been working on. I was going to send a Dell U2412M, but really wanted the recipients to have a higher resolution screen for working more easily with HD material. 

When the display is up, it all looks OK, but issues arise when I turn off or reboot the system. It fails to recognize a signal after any amount of time away from being fully on, IE. the PSM (power saving mode) goes haywire. After shutting down the PC, instead of the power indicator lighting changing to flashing orange, it will either change to steady orange or steady blue and then in either case get stuck (IE. power and menu buttons have no effect). Likewise, with the system up and an active
signal, if I try switching the inputs via the OSD, the OSD itself can just freeze, IE. lock up. It's a pity because the picture itself is fine, but at the moment, it can't even handle a reboot - screen stays dark, keyboard lights indicate normal booting, but nothing on the display. If I unplug the power cable from the monitor and plug it in 20 seconds later, then the screen will come up OK, IE. to the Windows desktop. Trying the connection on a different monitor (Dell U2713HM), it all works OK.

The PC is running Win7/Pro/64 bit, GPU is a GTX 980. Note I've tried both via DP and DVI, using new cables (DVI was dual-link), but no joy, same thing happens.

Here's a picture of the screen while the screen is working OK.

Anyone any idea what might be wrong? Perhaps faulty power circuitry? I tried a factory reset, no luck.

Thanks!!

Ian

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 18th, 2017 07:00

Did the seller mention any issue with the U2711 prior to the purchase?

Can you replicate the issues with the U2711 when connected to a different computer?

Since Dell doesn't disassemble and replace internal components, unknown as to the "faulty power circuitry".

22 Posts

December 19th, 2017 14:00

Chris,

Thankyou for your prompt reply!

Chris writes:

> Did the seller mention any issue with the U2711 prior to the purchase?

Nothing prior to the purchase, no. After I described the issues, the seller's response was, "How frustrating. I never encountered anything like that. It sounds like something within the settings that should be easily fixed, but I'm sorry to say I can't offer any suggestions. Perhaps a Dell forum will have the answer? I'll take a look myself and see if anything comes up."

As I say I tried a factory reset but that had no effect.

> Can you replicate the issues with the U2711 when connected to a different computer?

I tried your suggestion to check the monitor with a different system; I used a Gigabyte X79 setup fitted with a 980 Ti. At first the display came up, but after rebooting to allow the desktop icon locations to revert to normal, the display lost the signal shortly after POST but before the Windows boot message would normally appear, ie. behaving just as before; the screen stays blank, and all of the OSD buttons (including the power button) are unresponsive, as if the control system has frozen. I removed the power cable, waited 30 seconds, reinserted the power cable, after the usual initialisation the monitor picked up the signal, which of course by now was the full desktop. Next, I shut down the system, and again after a pause the power saving mode was activated, after which the power light stayed orange and all buttons were unresponsive. Thus, the behaviour is identical. If you like I can record a movie demonstrating this behaviour.

Does this monitor have any firmware updates that are available? If so, is it possible to update the firmware in some automated manner? eg. a USB stick and some special button combination when power is supplied? I am willing to attempt to repair the monitor if I can find out what is wrong (since I'm sure it's out of warranty by now), but first I need to determine the fault.

Alternatively, please point a manager to my LE PC build page and ask if they'd be willing to donate to the cause, from Dell I mean. :)  The people at the Learn Engineering channel intend doing a review of the system I'm giving them; it will increase their rendering and storage performance by two orders of magnitude (so they will be able to create much more detailed and involved videos), but at the moment they don't know I plan on including a monitor aswell, that was to be a surprise.

Otherwise, I'll just have to pursue a repair with the unit I have, as I can't afford to source another.

> Since Dell doesn't disassemble and replace internal components,

> unknown as to the "faulty power circuitry".

In your experience though, what do you think is the most likely cause of the problem? Corrupt firmware? Overheating/faulty power delivery circuitry? I found references on forums to the U2711 not handling power saving correctly when connecting via DP, but in this case the issues persist when using DVI instead. Is there any kind of diagnostic I could run? eg. something connected via USB, sending commands in some way? (perhaps I'm thinking too much in terms of the old days of being able communicate with devices via serial ports & terminals). Do you happen to know who manufactured the parts for this particular model? Maybe I could ask them for advice. I expect the screen is made by LG, but I doubt LG makes the rest of the circuitry. It's a shame because the screen itself looks perfect.

Thanks! :)

Ian.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 20th, 2017 05:00

Does this monitor have any firmware updates that are available?
* None available for download to me. Firmware updates for this six year old monitor were only done at our Dell factory service centers.

In your experience though, what do you think is the most likely cause of the problem? Corrupt firmware? Overheating/faulty power delivery circuitry?
* Unknown. Read through these threads to find a similar issue and or instructions. See this.

Is there any kind of diagnostic I could run? eg. something connected via USB, sending commands in some way?
* No.

Do you happen to know who manufactured the parts for this particular model?
* No.

22 Posts

December 21st, 2017 04:00

That's a real shame about the firmware updates, as I read that fw A09 was supposed to fix some issues.

I read through those threads; none appear relevant here, they don't mention OSD controls locking up. The floating dialogue box does appear as you've described, but once it goes into power saving mode the controls no longer respond.

Quite a few people reporting these sorts of issues btw, especially with DP connections.

Ian.

22 Posts

December 21st, 2017 06:00

This article was interesting and quite close in its issue description (except I see the behaviour with both DP and DVI):

softsolder.com/.../

No Events found!