Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 6th, 2012 03:00

U2713 frequently goes blank for a couple of seconds

The screen on my U2713 monitor goes blank for a two seconds rough once every couple of hours (though some days it doesn't do it at all). It isn't the power saving mode, it happens while I am typing, the builtin screen on my MacBook does not go blank when the U2713 goes blank.

The screen goes blank for the same period each time it happens, just under two seconds and then comes back on again. It does not show the "Entering power save" message that it show when it is entering idle mode and the power LED stays lit. I don't need to touch the keyboard or move the mouse to "wake" the screen up, it just comes back on after the roughly two seconds of blanking.

My computer is a MacBook Pro 13 inch from 2011, the monitor is connected via a passive mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable. I haven't tried connecting it with DVI, as I don't have a dual link DVI adapter and so would not be able to use the full monitor resolution even if that solved the problem.

I have tried raising the issue on the Apple forums, with no response from anyone. I can't see the same problem reported anywhere else on the web.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/20500396#20500396

It has been doing this ever since I received it.

Anyone else seeing this problem ? I'm guessing I have a faulty monitor and have started the returns process with Amazon (who I bought it from).

December 7th, 2012 01:00

Hi Andy,

You may try the following troubleshooting steps:|

1. Restore Monitor settings to factory defaults:
- Use the control buttons on the front of the monitor to adjust the characteristics of the image being displayed. As you use these buttons to adjust the controls, an OSD shows the numeric values of the characteristics as they change.

- Touch the 'Menu' button to launch the OSD menu and display the main menu
- Touch the  or  button to move between the setting options. As you move from one icon to another, the option name is highlighted.
- Touch the    button once to activate the highlighted option.
- Touch the  or  button to select the desired parameter.
- Touch the    button to enter the slide bar and then use the  &  buttons, according to the indicators on the menu, to make your changes.
- Touch the    button to return to the main menu or    to exit the OSD menu

- Please find the OSD menu options to navigate to Factory Reset feature in the image below:

- After the ''factory reset' check the performance of the monitor again.

2. The monitor is capable of running at a 'maximum preset resolution of 2560 x 1440' at 60 Hz. Please adjust the resolution settings from your computer.

3. You may also try running the monitor with another known-good computer; else try running it through a different video port.

Hope this helps. Do reply if you have any further questions. I would be glad to assist.

12 Posts

December 7th, 2012 01:00

1. Doing a factory reset is one of the many things I have already tried to resolve the problem

2. Yes, that is the resolution and refresh rate I am running at

3. I don't have another computer that has a DisplayPort adapter and there is no point testing a different video port as the DisplayLink port is the port I need to use (my computer does not have a dual link DVI output)

December 10th, 2012 05:00

Hi Andy,

Thank you for your prompt response. Using the monitor with a different video port may help us to determine the root of the issue. It will help us to isolate if the issue occurs only with the 'display port' or with other ones also. Do reply if you have any further questions. I would be glad to assist.

12 Posts

December 11th, 2012 05:00

I remembered that my Mac mini also has a DisplayPort. So I booted my Mac mini from my SuperDuper clone (what would I do without SuperDuper) and ran that for a couple of days.

I wasn't using it quite the same as my MacBook (I couldn't because the mini only has 4GB of RAM and so can't run my big Windows virtual machine). But in a couple of days of use there were no screen blanking incidents.

So I guess I can be reasonably sure that there isn't a fundamental problem with my U2713, there must be some sort of incompatibility between my MacBook Pro and the U2713 :(

December 14th, 2012 05:00

Hi Andy,

Thank you for your response. Good that you tried the Dell monitor with your Mac mini; efforts appreciated. You may want to try 're-configuring graphics' on the Mac book to see if that works.

Do reply if you have any further questions. I would be glad to assist.

2 Posts

December 16th, 2012 17:00

I am having the same problem with a recently purchased U2412M monitor on a Windows XP SP3 system using and nVidia 6800GS video card through the DVI port.  I have installed the latest WHQL driver from nVidia.  I also tried the latest drivers for the monitor dated 11/9/2012, i believe.  The blanking has become more frequent today, is this a problem with the monitor?

2 Posts

December 16th, 2012 17:00

just noticed the date of your post, was the issue resolved by a replacement monitor?  I also purchased from amazon.

December 18th, 2012 01:00

Hi Paul1494,

Please share some more details about the issue that you are facing; would help me to get clarity:
- Have you tried using the monitor with a different 'video port'? If not, please check if the screen blanks out even with a different 'display port'
- You may also try using the monitor with an alternate computer, if available
- How frequently does the screen blank out? For how long does it stay 'blank'? Do you have to do anything to get back the display?
- Have you noticed any repeated pattern with the issue? What kind of applications are in function, when the screen blanks out? Try using the computer with 'multimedia intensive applications'; and 'lighter applications' separately; and observe how that affect the frequency/intensity of the issue
- Try using your computer with a different monitor, if available; and capture results
- Please share the current screen resolution configured; this monitor supports 'maximum preset resolution of 2560 x 1440' at 60 Hz; adjust the screen resolution to match these settings and check results

Do reply if you have any further questions. I would be glad to assist.

12 Posts

December 18th, 2012 02:00

What do you mean by 're-configuring graphics' ?

12 Posts

December 18th, 2012 02:00

No, the issue has not been resolved. I have decided it is down to a combination of the U2713 and my MacBook Pro, as it doesn't happen on my Mac mini.

So I am living with the problem, it is an annoyance but it rarely happens more than 4 times a day. This is the original monitor, I cancelled the return when it seemed likely it wasn't a fundamental hardware problem with the monitor.

December 18th, 2012 06:00

Hi Andy,

Thank you for the response. I agree such intermittent issues can be annoying.

You correctly stated that there was no fundamental 'hardware issue' with the monitor as it worked fine with your Mac mini. Though my knowledge with 'Mac computers' is limited; however you may want to re-install/update the 'display drivers' in your 'MacBook Pro' to see if that helps. (This is what I meant with the graphics re-configuration).

Hope this helps. Do reply if you have any further questions. I would be glad to assist.

12 Posts

December 18th, 2012 07:00

You can really re-install the display drivers on OSX, they are part of the operating system. Everything is up to date.

December 20th, 2012 07:00

Hi Andy,

Thank you for the correction; since I have limited knowledge in Mac operating systems, I may have gone wrong.

Apologies again; do reply if any further questions. Glad to assist.

2 Posts

February 15th, 2013 15:00

I have the same issue with my MacBook (15-inch, Mid 2010) & U2713H.  I use Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter from Apple to connect both.

It's just annoying. I wish this can be resulted.

February 18th, 2013 12:00

I had the exact same problem and it seems to have gone away by changing the cable.

No Events found!