Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

I

February 2nd, 2013 01:00

U2713H Card Reader Not Working.

Ok, so after three exchanges from the original purchase, I finally received a U2713H with a good panel (no dead or stuck pixels, no scratches, etc..).  That was a month ago.

Today, I tried connecting the USB3.0 B-port (or what the manual calls the "upstream port") on the monitor to one of the USB3.0 female A-ports on my Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe motherboard and Device Manager shows generic USB hubs, but it doesn't see the card reader. Instead there's an "Unknown Device". I've tried plugging it into all four of my USB3.0 ports and have tried updating my USB3.0 firmware and drivers.

When I plug a different USB3.0 device into my 3.0 ports, the different device works fine.

When I plug the U2713H into my USB2.0 ports, everything is detected (USB hub(s) and card reader), but of course all of the USB3.0 ports on the U2713H then run only USB2.0 speeds and the card reader won't read / write as fast as it should.

I am running Windows 8 Pro. x64 and have all of the latest Windows updates installed along with all of the updated drivers and firmware for all of my hardware.

I have also installed everything on the CD that came with the U2713H as well as updated everything that the CD installed.

Anyone know how to get the card reader working?

I looked at the customer reviews on Dell's U2713H product page and saw at least one review where the user also had problems with the card reader on this monitor.

I purchased the three year advanced replacement and extended warranties for this monitor.  I called Dell tech support yesterday (Friday, February 2, 2013) and was transferred multiple times to people that did not sound like they knew what they were doing.  All I was trying to get was a new U2713H to replace this defective one.

What's the point of purchasing these warranties if Dell makes it so difficult to get a replacement?

120 Posts

February 4th, 2013 08:00

Ok, thanks.  Is there any way you can help me with this?  I was on the phone again this morning, but was put on hold and transferred at least twice so I just hung up...

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 4th, 2013 08:00

IsLNdbOi,

The only time period in which a new exchange is sent out is within the first 30 days from Dell Invoice date. After that 30th day, every monitor exchange will be a refurbished/used.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 6th, 2013 05:00

An exchange is not going to fix the USB 3.0 issue. We are investigating this.

120 Posts

February 6th, 2013 09:00

How do you know it won't?  Like I said, there's another user who left a review saying he had similar issues to what I'm experiencing and his exchange worked.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 6th, 2013 10:00

Because engineering said it would not. Your welcome to initiate another monitor exchange and test it.

6 Posts

February 6th, 2013 15:00

I'm experiencing the same issue. The hub only works when connected to a USB 2 port. When connected to a USB 3 port windows reports that the device isn't working. You can still plug in a USB 2 pen drive and it will work but USB 3 devices won't. I'm also running windows 8 pro x64. Would be grateful if you let us know here when the engineers figure out a solution.

120 Posts

February 7th, 2013 01:00

Ok, I'm not sure which department it was, but either tech support or customer service ended up sending me a new U2713H.  This new one I received yesterday is a revision A01.  The first one with the card reader problem was an A00.

This A01 unit, the card reader is detected, but as soon as a memory card is inserted Windows 8 says it has run into a problem and restarts.  This is happening on three other PCs (one HP ENVY laptop w/ USB3.0 ports, one ACER desktop with USB3.0 ports and one self-built desktop with an ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe motherboard) I connected the U2713H to as well.

With this A01 I'm also experiencing what LLMo above is.  When I plug USB3.0 devices into any of the USB ports on the U2713H, nothing happens; the USB3.0 devices are not detected.  When I plug USB2.0 devices into any of the USB ports on the U2713H, they work just fine.  This is also the case on the three other PCs I tested.

120 Posts

February 7th, 2013 02:00

I forgot to mention; all of the PCs had all available Windows updates and device drivers installed.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 9th, 2013 08:00

This issue has been escalated to the Displays team. It is under investigation. IsLNdbOi and LLMo, via private message, send me your monitor service tags so I can add them to the Hot Issues tracker.

1 Message

February 10th, 2013 04:00

I have the same problem with the Asus P8Z77-V deluxe motherboard and the u2713H A01. The USB card reader is detected as a usb 2 port.

120 Posts

February 10th, 2013 09:00

Chris, I don't have the service tag # for the defective one anymore.  I've already sent it back to Dell.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 12th, 2013 13:00

In private, send your customer number. I can track the tags from it.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 13th, 2013 09:00

All, 

We tested several New and captured Used U2713H in the Displays Lab.
* The two bottom USB ports on the mainboard are reading as USB 3.0
* The two side USB ports on the card reader interface assembly are NOT reading as USB 3.0

Please re-test your USB 3.0 devices on the bottom USB ports to verify our findings. Post your results, hardware used, etc.

Note - We have our service centers checking the U2713H and not all of the monitors have this issue. The Displays Team has escalated this to the manufacturer to find root cause, then a fix.

3 Posts

February 13th, 2013 12:00

Have tested all 4 ports using a Mushkin Ventura Pro USB3.0 64GB flash drive and an external Mediasonic  USB 3.0 HUR1-SU3S2 dual hard drive enclosure with 2 750GB drives. Enclosure is externally powered.

Flash drive connects but only at USB 2.0 speeds on all ports as tested with Crystal Disk Mark 3.01 x64.

Hard drive enclosure connects for 2 to 3 seconds then spontaneously disconnects and repeats the connect/disconnect continuously.

Have tried connecting the U2713H to several known good USB 3.0 ports on the computer with the same results.

The flash drive and the enclosure both connect and run at USB 3.0 speeds when cabled directly into any of the computer ports. I have run tests with Crystal Disk Mark on both units with USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports directly so I am aware of what speeds to expect.

Computer motherboard is an Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD7-B3 with latest BIOS ver. 7.0.

Motherboard NEC/Renesas USB 3.0 Controllers are running with latest driver version 2.1.39.0 and firmware version 3034.

Controller chips are NEC/Renesas D720200.

Windows Pro 7 x64 with all updates as 2-12-13

6 Posts

February 13th, 2013 12:00

Tested and can confirm that the rear USB 3.0 ports read as USB 3.0 but the side card reader USB 3.0 ports do not read as USB 3.0. Not sure of the speed but when I plugged the flash drive into the rear ports (with the monitor connected to USB 3 port on the motherboard) the drive was recognized in explorer but when plugged into the side ports nothing showed up in explorer.

Hardware:

Flash Drive tested: Corsair Flash Voyager GT USB 3.0

Processor: Intel 3930k

Motherboard: Asus X79 Sabretooth (latest BIOS) Monitor plugged into motherboard USB 3 which has been tested to work)

No Events found!