Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

I

February 2nd, 2013 01:00

U2713H Card Reader Not Working.

Ok, so after three exchanges from the original purchase, I finally received a U2713H with a good panel (no dead or stuck pixels, no scratches, etc..).  That was a month ago.

Today, I tried connecting the USB3.0 B-port (or what the manual calls the "upstream port") on the monitor to one of the USB3.0 female A-ports on my Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe motherboard and Device Manager shows generic USB hubs, but it doesn't see the card reader. Instead there's an "Unknown Device". I've tried plugging it into all four of my USB3.0 ports and have tried updating my USB3.0 firmware and drivers.

When I plug a different USB3.0 device into my 3.0 ports, the different device works fine.

When I plug the U2713H into my USB2.0 ports, everything is detected (USB hub(s) and card reader), but of course all of the USB3.0 ports on the U2713H then run only USB2.0 speeds and the card reader won't read / write as fast as it should.

I am running Windows 8 Pro. x64 and have all of the latest Windows updates installed along with all of the updated drivers and firmware for all of my hardware.

I have also installed everything on the CD that came with the U2713H as well as updated everything that the CD installed.

Anyone know how to get the card reader working?

I looked at the customer reviews on Dell's U2713H product page and saw at least one review where the user also had problems with the card reader on this monitor.

I purchased the three year advanced replacement and extended warranties for this monitor.  I called Dell tech support yesterday (Friday, February 2, 2013) and was transferred multiple times to people that did not sound like they knew what they were doing.  All I was trying to get was a new U2713H to replace this defective one.

What's the point of purchasing these warranties if Dell makes it so difficult to get a replacement?

21 Posts

April 28th, 2013 04:00

my monitor :

jan build date A01 - light leak pretty bad (although not as bad as some other rev ive seen on here)

dp1.2 not working correctly with software thats included (evewn wit hbeta 3.20 nvidias)

sometimes doesnt swtich back on stays asleep?(actually its there if you plug in an hdmi to the gfx card..)forgets dp is the main port for screen 1 in windows 8..

sdcard reader when inserting a card crashes windows instantly..

anyone else have better rev wit hsimialr problems still??

120 Posts

April 28th, 2013 23:00

As I've posted previously in this thread, I too have called Dell multiple times trying to get a *NEW* exchange, but every single person I have spoken with has refused since I purchased the monitor back in January.

All in all, I have probably spent 5 or more hours on the phone with Dell regarding this problem.  Don't know what to do now.

12 Posts

April 29th, 2013 08:00

Chris, do you have powers to authorize a new monitor to other countries (e.g. UK) and do you have an internal employee number, email address or such like that would allow other Dell employees to easily contact you?

If so, I'm guessing a pretty straightforward way for people who are struggling with the support team, would be to ask them to contact Chris Mixon, Round Rock, Texas (just click on your profile pic for this info) for authorization to get the new monitor?

As you know, I have just purchased the U2713H and have a problem with sound line-out on another thread

(en.community.dell.com/.../19503875.aspx).... I appreciate all your help there by the way!  As a result I haven't had a chance to verify USB3.0 and Card Reader are working as they should be. As I have a revision A00 I'm not holding out much hope but will hopefully get a chance to verify later. If they are also not working, I'm guessing a swap-out may be best and hopefully this will solve all problems.

4 Posts

April 29th, 2013 12:00

No, they just said that they would send me a new replacement -- but it's still Rev A01. They did not mention

refurbished or anything.

/landge

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

landge,

Did they specify that the exchange was new and not refurbished?

4 Posts

Hi Chris,

I've called the DELL service in Norway/Sweden and asked for a replacement. It was no problem at all. I've got the new display today.

BUT:

The problem remains!!  It seems to be the same revision! What should I do now? Just call for a second replacement (third device?)

Thanks

12 Posts

May 1st, 2013 04:00

Rev A00, Macbook Pro Retina 2012:

As soon as I pop an SD card in the reader, it appears and remains as a desktop icon on the desktop. Files can be read and written.

USB 3.0 HDD into the side USB port. I copied some files from the HDD but did not eject the external. After about ~5-10 mins the drive auto-ejected. This caused some damage to the structure of the HDD. It was successfully repaired with software.

I will leave the SD card inserted for an hour or so to make sure there are no further issues.

I haven't conducted speed tests yet but will do this.

10 Posts

May 1st, 2013 12:00

Hi Chris,

OK, this is just to get a record of my tale, as you seem to know what you are doing and be responsive. I also have this problem with the USB 3 hub and card reader on a revision A00 U2713H monitor. I purchased the monitor from amazon.de. In windows 8 (64 bit) the USB 3 hub/card reader constantly connects and disconnects - at random, rendering it unusable. I contacted the Customer Care forum, as I live in Germany but don't speak any German, asking whether they could help with the transfer of ownership and subsequent exchange of the monitor, for a brand new, latest revision version, providing them with a link to this forum discussion.

I got a prompt response from Dell-Kiran K (Wednesday 24/4), asking for as many details as possible about my monitor - luckily I have the original box and was able to provide the service tag, all the previous order details (for whoever ordered it at a different company and then transferred it to amazon.de) and my own details. Dell-Kiran K thanked me and told me a new monitor was being shipped to me (on Thursday 25/5, estimated delivery 3-5 days), providing me with a dispatch number.

Checking the status of my service call after the weekend, I discover it was cancelled on Friday 26/4. I contact Dell-Kiran K to find out whether this means the monitor has been shipped and the call closed. I'm then contacted yesterday by Dell-Ravi-Ch, saying that Dell-Kiran K is away and he's taking over my case, has reopened my case and the new monitor should be with me in 2-3 days. I replied, asking why the original call was cancelled, whether the dispatch number is still the same and what the shipping tracking number for the new monitor is. I've not received a reply yet. The dispatch number for my service call still shows the replacement as being cancelled, with no activity since it was cancelled.

If the new monitor hasn't arrived by Friday then I'm going to have to generate a return ticket with amazon and send this one back, so that I don't get stuck with a monitor which was clearly not fit for purpose when it left the factory. I'm pretty astounded that not only were these monitors shipped in the first place, but that the customer service appears to be "all mouth and no trousers" as we'd say in England.

From reading this forum thread, it doesn't sound as though getting a U2713H monitor from Dell which has a working USB3 hub and card reader anytime soon is going to be easy/possible. What would you suggest doing? Return and wait for a month or two, then re-order? Can you check out my service call status? If, as it appears (and apologies to the Dell people involved if this is due to circumstances outside their control), I'm being given the run-around, how do I go about making a formal complaint?

Thanks,

Jon.  

10 Posts

May 2nd, 2013 06:00

An update: rant over... My replacement monitor was waiting down on the street - the UPS guy didn't even ring the doorbell! Thanks to Kiran and Ravi for sorting this out. However, the new monitor is version A01 and has the same problem.

I'm not sure if it will help anyone (it didn't with me), but replacing the Windows USB 3 Host Controller drivers at least got my card reader recognised, and windows update downloaded some drivers for it (RealTek). The driver replacement is a bit of a hassle, but the instructions are here: plugable.com/.../windows-8-and-intel-usb-3-0-host-controllers - you must have Intel USB 3 on your motherboard.

I'm giving up, returning the replacement monitor to Dell and the original one to amazon. Maybe I'll order again in a few months when this is sorted out.

6 Posts

May 15th, 2013 05:00

I have managed to get USB 3 working (on my original monitor rev A00) and also finally get the calibration app to work as well.

I installed the new version of the calibration application from dell here  - note the second of the 2 identical entries is the one you need (or the X64 equivalent)

I also installed new Intel USB 3 drivers from the intel website (sorry no link) 

Installing the new application also installed some new drivers along the way.

The application reports exactly the same version as previously.

USB 3 now seems to work OK as long as I plug the monitor into Intel USB 3 port on my motherboard.

If I plug the monitor into the AsMedia USB 3 ports on my motherboard I get the bing bong forever syndrome as the device connects and disconnects repeatedly.

Oh, and the new version of the application is still broken - there are missing files, so the calibration is not that good.

ERROR  MatrixXMLParser.cpp:81 : Failed to parse xml file C:\ProgramData//X-Rite\Dell UltraSharp Color Calibration Solution\displayTechTypes.xml

Fortunately we don't have to wait for Dell to fix this as there is a fix described here - a bit of care is needed and you need to adapt this as it describes how to fix the problem for a 2413 rather than a 2713H.

120 Posts

May 29th, 2013 23:00

This is complete .  I still haven't been able to get my monitor exchanged with a "fixed" unit.  Anyone know; if I order a new one, will they send one that does not have these USB3.0 / card reader problems?

3 Posts

May 30th, 2013 01:00

I got a replacement monitor with an A02 revision number last month. The USB3 and card reader work fine. I didn't install any new drivers or anything. I just plugged it in, and it works perfectly.

No Events found!