Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 24th, 2013 23:00

U2713H REV4 USB 3.0 not working.

I've purchased the monitor 3 months ago and the ports were working well. However yesterday, it just stops working, tried plugging in my external HDD, mouse and keyboard and non were functioning. However, I'm certain that there's power (maybe from the monitor itself), as my external HDD  light were up but it's not reading anything and the lights went off itself after about 30 seconds. Couldn't be the problem of not having enough power, did not shift my cables since I used this monitor. However, I'm able to charge up my phone (not being able to load my phone as well). Tried power cycling, re-plugging the upstream and downstream wire but to no avail (should there be a notification sound when I plug in the upstream cable). Is my monitor faulty, it's not even half a year :emotion-6:

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

August 27th, 2013 12:00

tklms,

All essential boot devices like a keyboard and mouse should never be plugged into a monitors USB ports. Those devices should be plugged directly into the USB ports on the computer.

* Turn the U2713H and the computer off
* Disconnect all cabling and all peripherals from the U2713H
* Press and hold in the U2713H power button for 30 seconds
* Reconnect the power cord to the U2713H
* Reconnect one video cable from the U2713H to the computer
* Turn the U2713H on, then the computer
* Reconnect the USB upstream cable from the bottom of the U2713H to the computer
* Test one external USB device on all four of the U2713H USB ports

4 Posts

August 28th, 2013 02:00

Tried. Still not working. =( Any idea what else could be the problem? I never plug my keyboard and mouse into monitor's USB port. Just that when my external HDD failed to load, i tried my mouse and it's not working either. Normally at least a mouse (not so high power) would work right? Could it be the cable is faulty? Cuz when i plugged the upstream and downstream cable from monitor to USB port, there is no notification sound.

9 Posts

August 28th, 2013 08:00

There are definitely something wrong with the USB 3.0 functionality of U2713H. I am on my 5thin 4 month, all had the same problem - USB 3.0 ports appears to be working for a few weeks, then one day it suddenly cease to work, and from there no response what so ever. Tested and confirmed on 3 PCs with very different configurations so I think it's not my PC. I think I have had all revisions, including A04. A03/A04 did NOT fixed the issue. It seems to me that the USB 3.0 hub in the monitors are bound to fail. Now there is a work around that might help - don't use the USB 3.0 type B cable Dell supplied.  Use a USB 2.0 cable instead - you will lose the USB 3.0 speed, but at least your keyboard and mouse will work. This works for me and one other guy after the USB 3.0 part failed. BTW - it's probably not the Dell USB 3.0 cable that's faulty  - I tested and swapped 3.  Whatever cable I used the USB 3.0 functionality will always work initially - for a short while. As additional info - I mostly only attach USB mouse and keyboard to the hub on the monitor. I rarely attach flash drive and even less Webcam. I use PC about 6-8 hours per day - when not in use I usually turn the monitor off.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

August 29th, 2013 08:00

Once the U2713H USB 3.0 upstream cable is connected to a USB 3.0 port on the computer, open the Device Manager- Universal Serial Bus controllers. You should see USB 3.0. If not,
* Click Start- Control Panel- Appearance and Personalization
* Click Change Screen Saver
* Click Change Power Settings
* Click Change Plan Settings
* Click Change Advanced Power Settings
* Open USB settings
* Change to Disabled
* Click Apply- OK
Disconnect the USB 3.0 upstream cable from the computer and then reconnect it. Does the Device Manager now show USB 3.0?

9 Posts

August 29th, 2013 20:00

For my first 3 replaced units - once down everything is dead from POST/BIOS if connected via USB 3.0 (did not test the USB 2.0 cable), e.g. keyboard/mouse/usb drive have no response at all.  Since it's dead from BIOS I assume there is no point to check Device manager, but as far as I can remember, nothing is displayed in Device manager when connected, there is no connection sound. BTW 2 of them went down in the middle of normal use, 1 in the middle of a game.  It's a sudden death. For the 4th replaced unit (which was a A04) - once down with USB 3.0 connection, it can be re-detected, but the USB device displayed appears to be wrong (not USB 3.0, more likely 2.0) and the connected devices have no response just like ditto.  Connected with USB 2.0 cable then everything is working again.  As I have returned the unit I am sorry I cannot tell you what was detected in USB 3.0 mode. As far as I can tell, most, if not every, USB 3.0 hub on U2713H is faulty, up to the current point of time.

4 Posts

August 29th, 2013 23:00

Did that as well, still not working. GEOHO, so now you still using your 2713H with the faulty USB 3.0?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

August 30th, 2013 06:00

I was told that all A03 and A04 would have the fixed USB 3.0. Initiate a monitor exchange. Since your monitor has a Service Tag number, contact Dell Technical Support for your country. Provide to them the following data so they can setup a like for like monitor exchange =
Email Address:
Name:
Shipping Address:
Phone number:
Order number:
Monitor Service Tag number:
Monitor 20 digit alphanumeric PPID serial number:
Monitor revision number found on label:
Reason: USB 3.0 Failure

9 Posts

August 30th, 2013 19:00

My current unit (5th) is a fresh replacement (refurbished one though) so the USB 3.0 ports are working. But I am running it on USB 2.0 cable in the hope that the hub will last longer. For my 4th replacement unit which had broken USB3.0 though, I were able to run with USB 2.0 cable. For the goodness of some - the then dead units I received are two A03s plus one A04 (the latest). I am on a refurbished A03 now. All those dead ones have their USB 3.0 went down in the middle of use. As such I don't think A03/A04 fixed the issue.  Or there are different issues? I can provide case numbers if that's of interests to anyone. My recently replaced A04 told me otherwise - it only lasted about 3 weeks, probably the shorted I have had with all the replacements. At this moment I would rather run though USB 2.0 and see if the hub will last longer - until Dell figure out the true fix for the issue.

4 Posts

October 4th, 2013 08:00

I can confirm this problem. My USB 3.0 just died on a brand new U2713H A03 after 5 weeks. I've tried all suggestions I could find on this forum - factory reset, new upstream cable, different computer etc. Nothing helps. Like others I can use the hub with a USB 2.0 cable no problem.

Since the problem apparently persist in the A04 I wont even bother requesting a replacement now. Not until Dell hopefully finds a real fix to this problem.

Real shame pairing a great premium monitor with such a flaky and untested USB hub. Shame on you Dell.

1 Message

October 11th, 2013 16:00

Hi

Is the problem already solved?

I have a u2713h (I think A02), and after 2 months the usb ports and card reader suddenly stopped working. I tried replace the 3.0 usb cable with a 2.0 cable and it works... But with usb 3.0 not working anymore...

6 Posts

October 27th, 2013 18:00

Is there any official response from Dell on this issue?  Mine (A01) has died after 5 months.  You would think there would be some action to fix this since these monitors are sold at a premium based on calibration capability, and there is no way to calibrate without the USB connection.

Dell, what's the deal?  What are we supposed to do?  Is this a hardware failure?  Warranty?  Recall?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 29th, 2013 08:00

bos1,

There is no recall. Get the monitor exchanged.

4 Posts

October 29th, 2013 13:00

Chris M, could you enlighten us a bit about the problem?

What is wrong with the monitors that get sent in? Is the hub broken at the hardware level or is it a firmware problem? I'm still a bit skeptical about returning my A03 after hearing GeoHo's story about receiving 4 broken replacements.

If I decide for an exchange what do I need to do? I live in Denmark but I didn't buy the monitor from Dell. Should I just contact Dell Denmark?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 29th, 2013 14:00

DaMoeKri,

I am not allowed to discuss the specific fixes. You need to use this form to transfer the ownership of the service tag into your name. Once completed and in our system, contact Dell Denmark.

4 Posts

November 7th, 2013 01:00

I've decided to try my luck and request an exchange. Should arrive today or tomorrow. Will keep you posted.

No Events found!