Highlighted
3 Silver

U2713H, laptop with only a VGA output?

Jump to solution

Think I know the answer to this one but posting just in case I've overlooked something.  Have a new U2713H on the way.  New desktop will have DVI-D and DP outputs but two of my laptops are older with only VGA video out plus there's a third that has VGA and HDMI.  The laptop with HDMI should be no problem, I hope, but does anyone know of an affordable way to connect one of the two with only VGA outs to one of the available monitor inputs?  It appears that all the simple adapters on the market go the other way, connecting a newer  DP, DVI, or HDMI output to an older monitor's VGA input.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: U2713H, laptop with only a VGA output?

Jump to solution

Hi Steve House,

The resolution will be limited to 1920x1080 60Hz.

Computer VGA out port --> VGA to HDMI active converter cable --> Monitor HDMI in port

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi Steve House,

The resolution will be limited to 1920x1080 60Hz.

Computer VGA out port --> VGA to HDMI active converter cable --> Monitor HDMI in port

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Cadmium

Jump to solution

Steve, just note that the 27" monitors native resolution is 2560x1440 60Hz and as such your computer must support this resolution via the connector type you use. Generally, you will need a 'Dual link DVI' connector or 'DisplayPort' connector to be able to utilize the native resolution of the U2713H.

If your computer has single link DVI, HDMI, VGA connector, you will not be able to utilize the native resolution of the monitor so keep this in mind when you are looking at what may be fuzzy up-scaled analogue video (via your new VGA->HDMI/DVI/DP adapter)

For example, UXGA supports 1600x1200 and there are more extensions to the old VGA standard. So you not only need to know what your VGA computers graphics system supports but you need to know what resolutions any smart/active adapter supports.

0 Kudos