Chris MY
1 Copper

U2713H, out of warranty, no repair

My monitor is just 3 years old, stopped work (no image displayed) and is out of warranty. The Dell support team in Malaysia says that they cannot do anything as the warranty is expired. In my opinion, this is not acceptable. It is not acceptable because manufacturers cannot ask us to throw expensive equipment after 3 years usage - and this is a lot of pollution that we cannot afford for our planet. The least would be to redirect us to a repair workshop and try to do a repair. This is also not possible and no information can be provided. This is second time I "lose" such an expensive Dell monitor after 3 years usage.

Any suggestion please ? 

Regards
Christian

0 Kudos
2 Replies

Re: U2713H, out of warranty, no repair

The Dell Support team quoted Dell policy correctly. You are certainly free to disagree with our policy, but that is not going to change our policy. Dell has never repaired monitors, sold monitor components, or have monitor disassembly documentation. We only exchange them while inside the purchased three year warranty period. Your only recourse is to take it to a local repair center to see if they can disassemble and diagnose the defective internal component. Then look for spare parts on eBay or craigslist. The cost of repair might outweigh the current used market value.

0 Kudos
Chris MY
1 Copper

Re: U2713H, out of warranty, no repair

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply.

Well noted and will not purchase DELL anymore, this is the second time a buy
an expensive 27 inch monitor that fails just after 3 years - ie just couple of months
after end of warranty. Never managed to repair the first one.

Few points/suggestion here:

1. On expensive monitor, warranty could be longer - would have been more than happy
to pay extra. Again, second failure for the same type of monitor, just after 3 years .. not good.

2. I understand the economics of having to manage spare parts - not good for business.
However I also understand some other companies are starting to understand that we cannot
bin all those electronics in Africa or wherever they will be "recycled" and poison people , water.
soil and are keeping extensive spare parts stock.

3. Finally, by not looking at the failure root cause of the monitor, I am not sure how we can
improve the quality of the products.

Regards,
Christian 

0 Kudos