Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

June 6th, 2014 02:00

U2713HM, Dell Display Manager program wishlist

The "Dell Display Manager" (version 1.20.0.1450) program for Windows is a fantastic little utiliy that allows me to change setttings and split the monitor up into partitions using "Easy Arrange"

However !

When "Easy Arrange" is enabled, my programs will by default maximize into any of these partitions.

Holding SHIFT while moving a window, will disable the auto-arrange feature..

could you PLEASE invert this, so that

- holding SHIFT while moving a window will partition the program
- not holding SHIFT while moving, will work as normal !!

please make it an option for people who like the opposite !

THANKS !

234 Posts

June 10th, 2014 19:00

If you are comfortable editing the registry, try adding the value "Kbfix" to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EnTech\DDM and setting it to 1 (dword). Then restart Dell Display Manager.

7 Posts

June 11th, 2014 01:00

Sweet !!!

it works perfectly... 

i still think a button or a switch in the app would be better - but for now , this is perfect !

btw: is there a RegKey that disables the "Windows 7 Edge Snap Disabler" ??

When DDM starts, it ticks the "Prevent Windows from being automatically arranged when moved to the edge of the screen" ... 

When Kbfix is done, this feature might still be handy . 

234 Posts

June 11th, 2014 16:00

DDM disables Windows Snap if and only if Easy Arrange is enabled (so they don't conflict), and it re-enables Windows Snap if it was found enabled when Easy Arrange is turned off on all your monitors or DDM closes.

(I'm not aware of a registry key for Windows Snap but there surely is one.)

7 Posts

June 16th, 2014 06:00

DDM disables Windows Snap if and only if Easy Arrange is enabled (so they don't conflict), and it re-enables Windows Snap if it was found enabled when Easy Arrange is turned off on all your monitors or DDM closes.

(I'm not aware of a registry key for Windows Snap but there surely is one.)

Hi, I've been fiddling with this for a couple of days now.

- DDM disables Aero Snap everytime Wndows Explorer refreshes (after login, after sleep etc) - So even though i enable Snap - DDM will disable it eventually. 

- I've found a Registry Key for Aero Snap, but changing it wont work because changing THAT registry key requires Windows Explorer to be refreshed to re-apply the rule -- which therefore also causes DDM to disable it again (Catch22 !!)

- I've found no problem using Aero Snap while using the registry hack you told me about. So i would very much prefer that DDM would NOT disable Aero Snap all the time - Especially when i have to press SHIFT to apply DDM Arrangements. 

I hope you understand and are able to forward this to the developers :)

Thanks !

234 Posts

June 25th, 2014 07:00

I think you'll find in the latest DDM version (b.1470), Easy Arrange coexists with Snap if "kbfix" is set to 1; if not, and by default, DDM disables Snap while Easy Arrange is enabled, and enables Snap again when Easy Arrange is disabled (assuming you have Snap enabled).

7 Posts

June 26th, 2014 03:00

How do i find the newest beta version ??

7 Posts

June 26th, 2014 04:00

Thanks - i just upgraded..

but DDM still disables Aero Snap !! :-(

eventhough i have the kbfix = 1

234 Posts

June 26th, 2014 04:00

It will find you, but if you can't wait hold the Shift key down while right-clicking the DDM system tray icon, and select "Check for a new version" from the popup menu.

234 Posts

June 26th, 2014 06:00

Sorry, it may not have made it into b.1470, but with kbfix=1 they will coexist in the next release...  

Just to be sure we are talking about the same functionality, uninstall DDM then install the version you got with your monitor and perform an update to b.1470. Make sure kbfix=1, restart DDM and you should find EA and Snap coexist.

7 Posts

July 7th, 2014 02:00

Hi

I went ahead an DO exactly what you said... uninstall, reboot, install 1470

now AeroSnap and DDM coexist in harmony (for now) .. WUHUU !

Thanks !

4 Posts

January 18th, 2017 01:00

I was having the exact same problem! Easy arrange is really useful! But a pain when moving small things around, like the calculator for instance :D Really weird that it is not a feature in the program or standard that you need to hold a key before the easy arrange kicks in :D

April 10th, 2017 17:00

Great hint! I was not allways activating DDM on my system exactly because "auto maximizing" behavoir. Drag + shift is good, but adding the reg key made app exactly what I wanted. I believe making Not maximize the default is a good idea, plus adding a configuration checkbox sayng "allways maximize windows after dragging" may be good too. Thanks

1 Message

May 24th, 2018 08:00

Sad that it has been nearly 4 years and this still isn't an option/checkbox in the program! I did the registry key change and restarted DMM and at first it seemed to have completely broken arrange. It was not doing anything, whether I held shift or not, when I was dragging stuff around. I ended up doing a full reboot of my system and after that it is working as expected. I can now drag around my windows without them always expanding out, unless I explicitly hold shift down while doing so. It works so much better now!

1 Message

May 5th, 2019 07:00

I'm running Version 1.4.0.1942 and there is now an option to enable zone positioning only when SHIFT key is pressed. It is in the Easy Arrange tab.

No Events found!