Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 23rd, 2014 10:00

U2713HM over DP - Entering Power Save Mode, no picture

The monitor does not work with a DisplayPort (DP) cable, which I need to achieve the full (2560x1440) resolution. It tells there is no signal from PC. It tells "entering power save mode" and shows black screen. Dell Display Manager (DDM) does not see the monitor. Windows 7 Enterprise sees the monitor: "Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Display\Screen Resolution" includes "Dell U2713HM (DP)" into the list of options but has the resolution and orientation greyed out and does not permit to apply any changes (e.g. if I try to extend the desktop on this display, it says "Unable to save display settings).

The monitor works fine with DVI cable, but the max resolution is only 1920x1080. The monitor is then recognized by both Windows and DDM.

The monitor is connected via Dell port replicator. I have tried different combinations of video outputs (e.g. used DP1, DP2, DP1+VGA, DP2+DVI etc.) but DP does not work, whilst the other outputs work fine.

Please advise.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

July 23rd, 2014 12:00

"The monitor is connected via Dell port replicator."
The monitor DPs should be tested connected directly to the computer DP, not through the Dell port replicator.

"The monitor works fine with DVI cable, but the max resolution is only 1920x1080."
DVI only getting 1920x1080 tells us that the port replicator is only capable of DVI Single Link, not the required DVI Dual Link.

11 Posts

July 23rd, 2014 12:00

Dear Chris

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I cannot connect the DP to notebook, as my e6430 does not have DP (only HDMI).

If possible, please provide some guidelines what I could try/test. If you need any additional info, please do not hesitate to ask.

Regards

AL

11 Posts

July 23rd, 2014 13:00

Dear Chris

Yes, the laptop has 5200M, in addition to the Intel chip.

I will be able to tale a pic of the back of the port replicator as soon as i am back to the office. My only problem was that i could not find any numbers matching any of the numbers/IDs which you had listed.

Regards

AL

11 Posts

Two more questions:

- how do I confirm the type of the port replicator? i think i should have advanced one, but would like to confirm (this way I would be able to use your reply from

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19541647.aspx )

- do i get you right that the port replicator may be capable of dual-link DVI? if so, can the monitor use it?

Thanks!

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

What is the 5 digit Dell part number on the replicator? I do not think a port replicator can "upgrade" the video capabilities of the laptop.

Does the E6430 only have the onboard Intel graphics or did you purchase the additional discrete Nvidia NVS 5200M?

11 Posts

July 24th, 2014 05:00

Dear Chris

I did not manage to get the port replicator out of the stand so i cannot tell you which one it is. However, it does not seem to matter:

1) I have got e6400 with DP port. I tried to connect the monitor to this machine directly. The result is exactly the same.

2) I got DP->DVI adapter and used it on the port replicator. With this adapter, there is image on the monitor. Of course it is limited in the resolution because of DVI and seen by the monitor as DVI but it works.

What else could I do/try? Please advise.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

July 24th, 2014 07:00

* Turn off the monitor and the e6400
* Disconnect every cable from the monitor (including the power cord)
* Press and hold in the monitor power button for 10 seconds
* Reconnect the power cord to the wall outlet, then to the bottom of the monitor
* Reconnect the monitor to the e6400 via the Dell provided DP to mDP cable
* Turn on the monitor, then the computer
* Press the monitor Menu button to open the OSD (On Screen Display)
* Open Input Source
* Select either DP or mDP
* Exit the OSD

If still no go, contact Dell Technical Support for your country to get it exchanged.

11 Posts

August 4th, 2014 03:00

Today I got another cable (original Dell cable for DisplayPort from another monitor), did the sequence Chris described (plus told windows to extend onto this display - this time it was possible and i had no error messages) and it all now works. I have full 2560x1440 resolution.

Thank you for assistance.

No Events found!