Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 5th, 2014 16:00

U2715H 2560x1440 resolution over HDMI

Just got a U2715H monitor.  So far, it is a really great monitor.  Beautiful.

It connects to my Mac over DisplayPort at a resolution of 2560x1440.

However, when I connect to my PC over HDMI, 2048x1152 is the max resolution I can select.  I have an AMD graphics card that can support 2560x1440.  In the 'Catalyst Control Center' it says that the "Maximum resolution reported" by the display is 2048x1152.

Is the U2715H able to display 2560x1440 over HDMI or not?  I know HDMI can support that resolution.  The product page for the display says 2560x1440.  There is no disclaimer that says only over DisplayPort.  My PC does not have DisplayPort, as many PCs do not.

If 2560x1440 can only be achieved using DP, then Dell needs to be honest about that in the tech specs.

Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 7th, 2014 11:00

I do not see anything in the User's Guide that states HDMI cannot do 2560x1440, except when the HDMI MST is being used, page 12. This leads me to think that the fault lies with the HDMI cable, video card, or its driver. On the PC, what operating system? What AMD video card? Check the AMD website to see if a newer video card driver is present to install. When the PC is connected to the monitor HDMI and both are on, press the monitor Menu button. Bottom left, what is the Resolution? Bottom right, what is the Maximum?

December 8th, 2014 05:00

Thanks for the helpful reply Chris.  With HDMI selected, the monitor display shows

Resolution: 2048x1152, 60Hz

Maximum: 2560x1440, 60Hz

I hadn't noticed that before.  I'll take that as confirmation that the monitor should be able to do full resolution over HDMI.  I am up to date with drivers, but there must be something I'm missing.  I'll pursue it with AMD.

2 Posts

March 6th, 2015 11:00

Hello Scooter, I am having the same issue, did you find a solution ?

I spoke with a Dell tech before buying the screen and he confirmed that it should work on my laptop's Radeon HD 6600 M .

3 Posts

March 10th, 2015 20:00

I'm having exactly the same issue with the U2715H monitor connected over HDMI to a desktop PC with an Nvidia GTX550ti. The max resolution is 2048x1152. I also tried to connect my laptop which has both HDMI and DisplayPort video output and only through the DisplayPort I was able to set the proper resolution of 2560x1440 pixel. If HDMI input is limited to 2048x1152 over HDMI on this monitor, Dell should be honest about this issue as it's a huge problem if your GPU hasn't a DisplayPort connector.

2 Posts

March 11th, 2015 01:00

Hello, I ended up getting the HDMI to work.
I had to create a custom resolution at a lower refresh rate 50p Hz.

Make sure your hardware can handle such a resolution. Be careful on laptop where there might be a native graphic chipset involved working with the graphic card (I have an AMD Radeon and an intel graphic card working at the same time).

Then you can work on finding a software solution. First thing is to make sure your drivers are up to date.
I think Nvidia's control panel has the ability to create a custom resolution, other third party tools also exist but I haven't tested any successfully.

Hopefully that will not damage the screen though as we're forcing the screen to work as we want it to.

Hope this helps

3 Posts

March 11th, 2015 05:00

Hi Empreinte, thank you for your help.

I managed to create a custom resolution through the Nvidia control panel (I had to set the frequency to 50 Hz, too) but it seems that the GPU doesn't like this resolution too much. Whenever I play a video full screen I can see a number of blue pixels floating around the screen. This could be an indication that the GPU can't handle 2560x1440, even if the max resolution for this specific video card is supposed to be 2560x1600.

Anyways, it's not a big issue for me, considering that I'm gonna use this monitor mainly for photo editing.

Thanks again.

March 11th, 2015 16:00

I was never able to resolve my issue.  I just run the Windows laptop at 2048x1152 over hdmi.

The AMD graphics card software does not allow defining a custom resolution.  I started down the route of making registry changes to create one, but did not get far before I gave up.

The monitor still looks great at this resolution.

3 Posts

March 11th, 2015 19:00

Have you tried to create a custom resolution using this utility? www.monitortests.com/.../Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU

3 Posts

March 21st, 2015 08:00

I was having this issue also and for me it was my HDMI cable. I was using an older cable. I got a new amazon basics cable and it is fine. I am using an AMD R9 290 with mine. I am also using the latest drivers available. Here is a link to the cable.

March 25th, 2015 14:00

I just got a U2715H monitor, the same monitor that you folks are having with here. I can connect at 2560x1600 over the supplied HDMI to HDMI mini cable supplied in the box. The CPU I am using is a Lenovo Tiny, about as big as a Mac Mini. Being an IT guy in a hospital and do this for work for a living I would suspect the computer or cable is the issue..

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 26th, 2015 12:00

Thanks for the thoughts. We provided a DP to mDP cable, not an HDMI to HDMI cable. So you must be using our DP to mDP cable. AS BIGGRIMTIM stated, the culprit may be the older HDMI to HDMI cables the above users are testing.

No Events found!