Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 5th, 2015 07:00

U2715H, Microsoft SurfaceBook, Microsoft Surface docking station, disconnect issues

Setup:

2x U2715H Monitors

Microsoft SurfaceBook (i7 w/ discrete Graphics card)

Windows 10 x64

Microsoft Surface docking station

Configuration:

Config A (daisy chain):

DisplayPort 1.2 was enabled on both monitors.  mDP OUT from docking station to DP IN on first monitor.  DP OUT from first monitor to mDP IN on second monitor.  This configuration worked and I was able to get the monitors to extend the desktop display, but experienced disconnection issues, so I tried without daisy chaining (MST).

Config B (straight run):

Disabled DisplayPort 1.2 on both monitors.  Both cables mDP OUT from docking station and ran individually to each monitor's DP IN.  It took some time to get Windows to recognize the monitors and get the desktop to be extended on both displays like in Config A but I eventually got it working.  Even with the MST configuration out of the equation, I still experienced the disconnection issues.

The Disconnection Issue:

The monitors become "disconnected" in that the OS no longer recognizes/sees them.  Sometimes they recover on their own but other times I have to go into the OS display settings to "detect" them. If that doesn't work, I either have to physically disconnect/reconnect the docking cable and/or restart the OS.  Some days this happens often, other days it only seldom happens.

Windows is up-to-date with the latest updates (and I continually check daily to ensure the latest updates are applied).  Since Windows 10 and the SurfaceBook have had some rocky starts with stability, I started with troubleshooting the OS first.

I'm bringing this issue up here because a co-worker has the same laptop but with different monitors and they are not experiencing this issue.

I've tried installing this driver:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=FF3XW&fileId=3479006496&osCode=WT64A&productCode=dell-u2715h&languageCode=EN&categoryId=DD

but I get no change in behavior.

Is there anything else I can try or something that I may have overlooked in configuring Windows 10 to extend its display on to these monitors?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 6th, 2015 08:00

Take the dock out of the troubleshooting and re-test.

SurfaceBook mDP out --> mDP to DP cable --> #1 U2715H DP in (DP 1.2 ON)
#1 U2715H DP out --> DP to mDP cable --> #2 U2715H mDP in (DP 1.2 OFF)

9 Posts

November 12th, 2015 11:00

Hey Chris,

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the delayed response.  Yup, taking the docking station out of the equation verified that there seems to be an issue with the docking station itself.  I have been running the two monitors in a daisy chained configuration since Monday (four days now), and these issues are no longer happening.  I already have tickets open with MS.

-Dennis

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 12th, 2015 12:00

They told us awhile back that they were developing a special power connector dongle that addressed the same issue with their Surface Pro dock. We have not heard back from them.

9 Posts

November 16th, 2015 18:00

For the past few weeks I've been battling with inconsistent monitor performance with my new Microsoft Surfacebook.  I initially started to troubleshoot with them to track down what the issue was.  After some updates (a big one today), I'm still having these issues.  Initially I posted about this here:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/p/19659756/20843820#20843820

encountered some blanking out issues even without the docking station, although it seems to be less frequent.

guarantee the performance.

Manufacturer

Monitor model

Dell

U2715Hc

U2515Hc (Only FW revision A00-A01. A03 is good)

U2415b

Phillips

288P6L

Samsung

U28D590D

Monitors are the last peripheral that I thought I'd ever have a problem with.  There's probably not going to be any real solution from either company for this bizarre incompatibility. I'll have to sell these off and hope I can find monitors that are compatible?  And then do I buy Dell monitors again or worry that they'll be incompatible (or the Surface be incompatible with them, I guess you could look at it either way).

So annoying.

/rant

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 17th, 2015 13:00

Where did you get that chart?

9 Posts

November 18th, 2015 05:00

This was emailed to me from Microsoft support.  I'm not sure if they have it published anywhere.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 18th, 2015 06:00

Can you forward that email to me? Our Displays Team needs to discuss this with Microsoft.

9 Posts

November 18th, 2015 07:00

Forwarded

2 Posts

January 20th, 2016 16:00

Has there been any progress on this?  I just got a Surface Book and was a bit surprised to find my pretty new Dell monitor on the list of unsupported monitors.  Currently it is working using a mdp-dp directly from the Surface Book, but I've been unable to get it working from the Dock.  I have ordered the MS recommended cable (active mdp-dp) hoping that it will work from the Dock.  

9 Posts

January 20th, 2016 17:00

I was able to get both monitors working in an MST configuration plugged directly into the Surfacebook.  Around Christmas, I had my book swapped out for another and have had fewer problems with it but even after that swap, I was unable to get it to work in the docking station until recently.  About a few weeks ago there was a firmware update that seemed to address the issue and I've been using the monitors in an MST configuration through the dock, and it is, for the most part, stable.

It's not perfect, though. At times when I plug into the docking station first thing in the morning, the monitors don't always come up or only one turns on. I have to unplug the monitors from the docking station and back in, and sometimes power down cycle the monitors by unplugging them.  Fortunately this doesn't happen very often.

Ultimately, I the Dell monitors are fine and are not the problem.

You may take a while to get the monitors working through the docking station but it should be possible.  It's definitely more of a pain than it should be, but hopefully more updates will come down the pipeline making it less of a hassle.

March 19th, 2016 17:00

Is there a way to turn off the power save setting on the monitors so the monitors do not go to sleep?  I cannot find a setting for that. 

1 Message

May 8th, 2016 15:00

Hello, I use my personal Surface Book for work with a DEll 2715 connected via SurfaceDock and have the same issues particularly with the Surface Book going to sleep and then the Surface Dock disconencts the monitor.  I asked for our IT department help with MS for support here, I was hoping the most Surface Dock firmware would solve the issue but it hasn't.  Since this is a fairly popular display, I hope Dell and Microsoft can solve this.  I have to say I never get such issues with the Lenovo X1 Carbon Gen 3 and its dock connected to this monitor...

1 Message

May 27th, 2016 02:00

I have the same issue with 2x U2715H monitors each connected via the mDP to Surface Dock (new brick one) and Surface Book (with the NVIDIA GPU). Can't get both monitors to work stable. Constant sync issues with the Monitors dropping and going into sync loops. I have tried 1 monitor directly to the Surface Book via mDP port on machine and works fine.

Is there a known reason why the monitor doesn't work. It is listed on Microsoft site as in-compatible.

Interesting enough, I have tried a Surface Pro 4 and it works fine in the same Surface Dock configuration. Have to think its something with the Surface Book. Have swapped out the Docks couple of times now with same results.

4 Posts

July 3rd, 2016 14:00

Has there been any resolution on this? I find that trying to use a U2715H with Surface Book through the Surface Dock causes the internal display & the 2715H to repeatedly turn off & on, making the display completely unusable with the dock. The display does seem to work correctly with the same mini-DP cable connected directly to the Surface Book instead of the dock, however that prevents use of the dock because of size of the dock's connector.

I contacted SurfaceCustomerCare@microsoft.com about the matter but as I was running a Windows 10 14xxx build instead of 10586 they were unable to help further, suggesting only that I go back to 10586, as if that would somehow correct the problem... it sounds like the problem exists aside from 14xxx based on this thread, and SurfaceCustomerCare@microsoft.com is not aware of continuing incompatibility.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

July 3rd, 2016 19:00

To start, the Surface Docking station firmware needs to be checked, and if old, updated.
* Applies to Surface Pro 3, Surface Pro 4, Surface Book
* Read this and this

Be sure to also post on the Surface Book Forum to ask for advice or insight from other Surface Book users.

No Events found!