Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 11th, 2017 06:00

U2715H, Quadro FX 4500, 2-3 second screen black out at random intervals

I have two problems that I am asking the community and/or DELL Support for help with. I have a Dell U2715H flat panel monitor bought new from PCBuyIT Ltd on Amazon UK and delivered on 30 Jan 2017. 

1) The screen blacks out at random for 2-3 seconds each time. This currently happens as often as five or six times per hour. Each time it happens it is accompanied by the Windows 7 "device disconnect/device connect" sounds and any open windows on the desktop are re-sized (to an area equal to approx 10% of desktop) and moved (to top left hand corner of desktop). When I search on Dell support and www sites this seems to be a common and persistent problem with this and other Dell flat panel monitors and yet I can see no solution.

2) I can only achieve full native resolution (2560x1440) by setting up a custom setting in the NVidia control panel, dropping the refresh rate to 30hz and using only the HDMI 2 input on the monitor. Using the suggested 60Hz refresh rate or any of the other monitor inputs (HMDI 1, DisplayPort) produces a black screen with a floating message "The current input timing is not supported by the monitor display. Please change your input setting to 2560x1440. 60Hz or any other monitor listed timing as per the monitor specifications". Has anyone achieved full native resolution at 60Hz and using all inputs please?

FYI: equipment/software setup:

Dell Precision 670 Workstation with two Xeon processors each running at 3.2GHz

Memory 4GB RAM

Graphics Card: NVidia Quadro FX 4500 512Mb with 2 x DVI and 1 x VGA (via adapter) outputs

Cables and connectors: various adaptors and cables tested (DVI to HDMI; DVI to DisplayPort). Currently using BlueRigger High Speed HDMI to DVI (1.8M /6Ft ) Male to Male Bi-Directional Adapter Cable with Gold Plated Contacts. The connection between the PC and monitor is using a DVI output from the PC (both have been tested) to HDMI input on the monitor.

Monitor: Dell U2715H S/N CN-0GH85D-64180-6AQ-0DFS. Rev A03. Manufactured Oct 2016.

OS: Windows 7 Ultimate with all drivers and patches up to date (including Dell Display Manager)

Dell Systems Diagnostics Test: passed in full on 11/02/17

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 13th, 2017 07:00

The issues most likely stem from the fact that you are using a 2005 video card with a 2017 monitor that has new HDMI and DP/mP revisions. The Quadro FX 4500 VGA out cannot send a 60Hz signal to the U2715H HDMI 1.4 in ports. Forcing you to use a custom 30Hz. Forget the VGA. Quadro FX 4500 DVI to U2715H DP or mDP requires an active converter =

Quadro FX 4500 DVI out --> DVI to mDP converter --> U2715H mDP to DP cable --> U2715H DP in port should produce 2560x1600 60Hz.

Or for less money get a new 2017 PCIe x16 workstation video card that has DP out port or mDP out port.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 14th, 2017 06:00

February 13th, 2017 12:00

Thanks for your speedy response Chris. Apologies for the confusion - to be clear I have never used the FX 4500 VGA output and all tests have been using the card's DVI output. I recognise that I'm asking a lot from a  graphics card released in 2005 but it was highly specified when new and the whole PC rig is still working well (except for the loss of the PERC/RAID/SCSI set up on moving to Windows 7 - no driver support).

I spoke to the supplier of the monitor today and they seemed to think that Dell could be clearer by highlighting that they are fitting HDMI (MHL) inputs to this monitor and not standard HDMI inputs. He seemed to think that HDMI (MHL) will only achieve a theoretical max resolution of 2048 x 1152 and that the full native resolution on this monitor (2560 x 1440) can only be achieved via the DisplayPort.

That kind of contradicts my current experience as I can now achieve 2560 x 1440 @ 40 Hz using the card's DVI output into the monitor's HDMI 2 input (but still not into monitor HDMI 1 - I guess that's a production tolerance issue). The good news is that the black outs seem to have reduced in frequency for the time being.

I've looked up the cost of an active converter and agree with you that a graphics card upgrade is probably the best way to go on a value basis. I'd be happy to buy a Dell card with both a DisplayPort and DVI out - do you have any suggestions?

Again, thanks for your help on this - it is much appreciated.

1 Message

May 26th, 2018 00:00

I have the same problem on a Mac Book Pro late 2011 with Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB. Will the ATLONA AT-DP400 work in this case too? 

Thank you! 

Ilinca

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 26th, 2018 07:00

Unknown. The U2715H was never tested by Dell on the proprietary Apple hardware and software. You should ask the Apple users on their Forum.

No Events found!