Highlighted
1 Copper

U2717D, laptop HDMI to monitor DP/mDP no go

Jump to solution

I already spoke to Dell Support and they are sending a new monitor, but I find it hard to believe I need a new monitor. I had an older laptop that connected to my U2717D monitor prior with no issues. It had a DP out on the Laptop and a I connected to the mDP in on the monitor. No issues. I now have a new work laptop and it only has HDMI out. I plugged a cable in HDMI from laptop to monitor DP in and nothing. I tried HDMI from the laptop to monitor mDP in and nothing. Took my Dell laptop and tried the same, still nothing. I tried to download a new driver but it won't install if it cannot detect the monitor.  Can it be that the monitor is bad receiving from an HDMI port when it previously worked with a DP?

Thanks,

Gary

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: U2717D, DP from laptop HDMI, no go

Jump to solution

Let's backup. Contact Support and cancel that monitor exchange.

A straight cable like this (DP to HDMI) is one direction only = PC DP out to Monitor HDMI in. It is not designed to do the opposite, PC HDMI out to Monitor DP in.

Via a straight conversion cable =

Laptop HDMI out cannot upconvert to a monitor DP in port
Laptop HDMI out cannot upconvert to a monitor mDP in port

Laptop DP out port can downconvert to a monitor HDMI in port
Laptop mDP out port can downconvert to a monitor HDMI in port

So on your laptop with HDMI out port, this is the only way that you can connect to the U2717D =
Laptop HDMI out port --> HDMI to HDMI cable --> U2717D HDMI in port

Are you sure that the new laptop doesn't also have a USB Type-C out port on it? If it does, you could setup like this =
Laptop USB Type-C out port --> USB Type-C to DP cable --> U2717D DP in port

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Let's backup. Contact Support and cancel that monitor exchange.

A straight cable like this (DP to HDMI) is one direction only = PC DP out to Monitor HDMI in. It is not designed to do the opposite, PC HDMI out to Monitor DP in.

Via a straight conversion cable =

Laptop HDMI out cannot upconvert to a monitor DP in port
Laptop HDMI out cannot upconvert to a monitor mDP in port

Laptop DP out port can downconvert to a monitor HDMI in port
Laptop mDP out port can downconvert to a monitor HDMI in port

So on your laptop with HDMI out port, this is the only way that you can connect to the U2717D =
Laptop HDMI out port --> HDMI to HDMI cable --> U2717D HDMI in port

Are you sure that the new laptop doesn't also have a USB Type-C out port on it? If it does, you could setup like this =
Laptop USB Type-C out port --> USB Type-C to DP cable --> U2717D DP in port

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thanks for the info. I do have a usb-c port on the laptop. I will try the cable and test.

Thanks!

0 Kudos