I recently got a U2718Q and aside from the glitches, it's a great monitor. There was an issue with the colour green which I fixed through a firmware update (currently M2B102).
The problem that started yesterday is that the monitor won't wake up from sleep unless I unplug it for a minute and then try again. It's connected to a MacBook Pro (mid-2014) via the supplied DisplayPort cable. This started happening randomly a few days after the firmware update and no update has been made to the MacBook.
Is there any thing I can try here or is it better just to return this model?
Solved! Go to Solution.
Check the U2718Q validated operating system list. The Apple proprietary hardware, operating system (including Windows Bootcamp), and drivers were never tested/validated by Dell with this monitor model. You should ask the Apple users on the Apple Forum for troubleshooting help. Ask them if there is an Apple branded Thunderbolt to DP cable that they can recommend.
Thanks for the quick reply, Chris.
Since the monitor was working before yesterday and this randomly started, would this indicate an incompatibility or a faulty monitor? I'm just trying to consider a replacement or returning it altogether.
Unknown. Try this =
* Turn the MacBook Pro and U2718Q off
* Disconnect the U2718Q mDP to DP cable from both the MacBook Pro and the U2718Q
* Open the MacBook Pro lid and turn it on. Make sure it boots up correctly into the Apple OS
* Go to the turned off U2718Q
* Disconnect every cable from it including the power cable
* Press and hold in the U2718Q power button for 10 seconds
* Reconnect the power cable to the U2718Q
* Reconnect the U2718Q mDP to DP cable to the U2718Q and then the MacBook Pro
* Turn the U2718Q on
* Press the U2718Q Input Source button and choose DP
* Go to the MacBook Pro and set it to send the signal to the U2718Q
I bought a U2718Q to use with my MacBook, and it worked perfectly for the first two weeks without issue using the MiniDP/Thunderbolt port connection to the monitor DP (using the supplied cable from Dell) before I encountered this problem today.
The troubleshooting steps here did work to correct it for me, however, I expect it will come back. I just don't know when, as I'm not sure what caused it to start happening.
While I understand the Mac OS isn't officially supported by Dell, it would still be good to know if and when a future firmware update for the U2718Q will correct this problem permanently.
Unfortunately, we are not told of possible future firmware updates. Like you, we simply check the U2718Q drivers page. As of today, the only firmware update was M2B102. Which could only be run from the Windows operating system and addressed the following =
* Fixed "gain on green" issue
* Changes the default HDR from On to Off
* Improved HDR and color tuning
* Fixed the HDMI "no display" issue at 2560x1440 with the Nvidia GTX 1070 with HDR On
Some Apple users on their Forum reported more success with Dell monitors using this cable.
My company servicedesk did some sort of update that caused my U2718Q to stop working with it. Wanted to chime in and say that this process fixed the issue.