Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 9th, 2019 04:00

UP2718Q, firmware update fail

Updating my two UP2718Q's to firmware M2B102 does not work.

Starting the update utility, the UP2718Q is not detected. Connected as is, connected as described (power, one video, straight USB3 upstream) or connected by USB3 only on a laptop. All the same. On starting the utility (including as Administrator) whines that the .bin is invalid, Model No is Not detected, Current Firmware is 22B901 (what on earth does that mean if it does not detect the U2718Q). When I Browse to the same .bin file, it now whines Monitor not detected, and Current Firmware goes Not detected too.

This is absolutely pathetic. Why first the complaint about the bin file (it is as extracted from the self-extracting .exe, how on earth can it be invalid, on re-download : same thing), and no monitor detection whatsoever (including after full reset, power cycling, everything thinkable).

8 Posts

October 15th, 2019 14:00

My bad in confusing the UP2718Qs I have with the U2718Qs I don't.

It would be useful if the update utilities informed the user when the targeted and detected monitor types differ. Unless the detection methods differ too much, but I would guess many are similar if not identical in practice.

I just tried the correct update for UP2718Q and both my monitors updated fine.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 10th, 2019 08:00

What issues with both UP2718Q are you currently seeing which would necessitate the M2B102 firmware update?

A failed firmware update could break the UP2718Q. So if you are not seeing the specific issues corrected by M2B102 (changes default HDR from On to Off, improved HDR and color tuning, fix HDMI no display issue at 2560 x 1440 with GFX1070 with HDR On), you should not install it.

* Click my DELL-username and send me via private message the following information =
- #1 UP2718Q service tag number, 20 digit serial number, current firmware (Menu OSD- Others- Firmware)
- #2 UP2718Q service tag number, 20 digit serial number, current firmware (Menu OSD- Others- Firmware)
- Your full name, shipping address, phone, email address
- If these UP2718Q were NOT purchased directly from Dell by you, you have to fill out the Ownership Transfer form for both

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 10th, 2019 14:00

We have not seen any such failures in the lab when installing the UP2718Q M2B102 firmware. I still need all of that data I asked for in my previous reply.

8 Posts

October 10th, 2019 14:00

I would appreciate that Dell first investigate the failure I'm reporting to them, instead of giving me more work to do and more red herrings to chase. After all that I already did, the chances of the upgrade software itself being faulty are pretty high (the supplied firmware file is wrong and/or the monitor detect is flaky at best).

I have a persistent issue with my UP2718Qs whereby they do not recover from sleep mode (requiring the monitor to be completely powered down for a number of seconds, and on power up, the display is back). This happens only occasionally (like every few weeks) but is very confusing and annoying every time it does happen. This is why I am trying to upgrade their firmware (which is M2B101 currently).

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 14th, 2019 06:00

Because we have not received a reply from you with the needed information, we are closing this case. If you return at a later date, you will need to start a new thread.

8 Posts

October 15th, 2019 11:00

Why does this forum discard my line spacing ? Anyway, fixed it.

Case re-opened ?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 15th, 2019 12:00

Apologies. I realize now that we were both confused. You have two UP2718Q, not the U2718Q. I have edit the thread titles.

No Events found!