Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 27th, 2018 10:00

U2718Q, has terrible audio quality from headphone jack

I just installed 2 new Dell U2718Q 4k monitors, and compared to the U2414Hb's I previously had, the audio quality from the audio port at the back of the monitor is terrible! Its very high pitched and has almost no low end (bass). 

I've confirmed by plugging my headphones into the Dell audio out port on the PC, and also to my phone, both of which sound fine. 

I've already spent an hour or so troubleshooting with Nvidia, thinking it was a driver issue with the Nvidia High Def. Audio, but everything is pointing towards the monitors. Not sure where to proceed from here....

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 27th, 2018 12:00

Unfortunately, for both monitors Audio-Line out port, Headphone usage is not supported. In both online User's Guides, we specifically stated, "Connect your speakers". The fact that the U2414H improper Headphone usage had a better sound was not something we would test. The Guides never called that port a headphone port.

The U2718Q User's Guide page 11 states =
5 Audio-Line out Connect your speakers.*
* Headphone usage is not supported for the audio line out connector.
AudioOut.JPG

The U2414H User's Guide had the same restriction concerning the Audio-Line out port. Pages 9/10.
U2414H.JPG

2 Posts

February 27th, 2018 12:00

Thanks for the response.

Seems like a bit of an oversight to create an audio jack specifically excluding headphones, but who am I to say. :Confused:

April 8th, 2018 17:00

The issue is that speakers are powered, whereas headphones are typically not. Since the monitor just forwards the audio as a line out, the signal needs to be amplified by the speakers playing them, which isn't possible with most headphones. 

1 Message

June 6th, 2018 08:00

Also check that the output Sample rate and Bit depth are correct. (It's under the windows sound menu, right click on the playback device and click the advanced tab).

For some reason when I use this monitor it reduces the rate to 16 bit and 44100 hz. The 44100hz makes the audio thin. Pick any higher hz and it's fine. I use 24bit and 48000hz. 

2018-06-06 11_16-Speakers_Headphones Properties.jpg

No Events found!