eldoradooo
2 Bronze

Re: U2720Q, MacBook Pro, 29Hz?

Jump to solution

@whyyyyy same here, it's M2T101

I precise that the monitor works really well on all the other fronts, but this "bug" that not allow to use USB-C>USB-C cable on a Mac is really disappointing.

To me, now it's not clear how and what to test for understand what's the real problem and mostly if there's possibility to solve.

0 Kudos
Spaceduster
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Also own macbook pro 2018 and switchresx <Non-public info removed> in enabling 60hz. Please provide your findings since I am also interested in buying this monitor.

0 Kudos
whyyyyy
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Thank you for posting this! It allowed me to change the refresh rate to 60hz. I confirmed via the monitor's OSD that it is working at 60.

I have a LAN adapter plugged into the monitor's USB port and I think it briefly dropped connection after doing this which hasn't happened before. It's been about 10 minutes and hasn't happened again so I'll update if I have any more trouble.

0 Kudos
Spaceduster
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Great! can you come back in a couple of days to post your findings? really looking forward to buying this monitor

0 Kudos
whyyyyy
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Sure thing. I actually found a much easier way to change the refresh rate.

This is what you normally see:

Hold the alt key and click "scaled" and you get all these other options.

I don't know why refresh rate is hidden for this display, it's shown for my other 2 displays without doing anything special. Also note that I am unable to get USB 3 and 60hz, it only works in USB 2 mode (called "High Resolution" in the "USB-C Prioritization" OSD menu).

View solution in original post

Spaceduster
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Seems indeed right:

High Resolution: This is default setting. The maximum supported resolution is 3840 x 2160@60 Hz and USB 2.0 data. High Data Speed: This setting supports USB 3.0 data. For details on the maximum supported resolution, please check the Display Info Link Rate (Current) in the OSD menu. If source is HBR3, the maximum resolution is 3840 x 2160@60 Hz and USB 3.0 data. If source is HBR2, the maximum resolution is 3840 x 2160@30 Hz and USB 3.0 data.

0 Kudos
jphughan
7 Gold

Jump to solution

@whyyyyy  as I mentioned earlier, I believe 15" MBPs give the discrete GPU direct control of the display outputs, and I'm reasonably confident that the discrete GPUs on the last few generations of MBPs support HBR3.  However, USB-C cables (and USB-C to DP cables) that are rated for DisplayPort 1.4/HBR3 are quite rare at the moment, at least when I've looked into it, so that may be a limiting factor -- possibly even with the USB-C cable bundled with the display itself, although I'm not certain about that.  Regular DisplayPort cables that are rated for that aren't too difficult to find, though.

0 Kudos
whyyyyy
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I've got the 13" that doesn't have a discrete GPU, it's an i7-8559U with Iris Plus Graphics 655. Seems pretty tough to find any real info on the capabilities of these things.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/137979/intel-core-i7-8559u-processor-8m-cache-u...

0 Kudos
jphughan
7 Gold

Jump to solution

@whyyyyy  the Core 8th Gen CPUs don't have GPUs that support HBR3.  Right now the only Intel CPUs that have GPUs capable of HBR3 are the new "Ice Lake" CPUs, which are the 10th Gen CPUs with model names ending in a "G" followed by a number.  They include a new Gen 11 GPU and they're also a completely new architecture overall.  The Core 10th Gen CPUs with model names that end in a U or H are just yet another minor refresh of the Broadwell architecture that was introduced as Core 5th Gen.  I have no idea why Intel decided to put two completely different architectures under the same 10th Gen banner.  Somehow they found a way to make their CPU lineup even more confusing, and considering how confusing it already was before, that is really saying something.

0 Kudos
zalberico
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

@whyyyyy- I think the post you're referencing that has the solution was removed? At least I don't see it, what did you do to fix this?

I have two of these monitors in portrait mode 4k and they're stuck at 29hz (refresh box in macOS system preferences is grayed out).

I'm using the USB-C cable directly plugged into a 2018 MacBook Pro.

It'd be awesome if you could let me know what you did, thanks!

0 Kudos