Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

S

2 Posts

February 8th, 2023 18:00

U2723QE, Auto KVM not waking desktop

I have a Windows 10 desktop and Windows 10 laptop and I’m using the KVM feature to connect both devices to the monitor. I have a wired keyboard and wired mouse connected to the monitor’s downstream USB-A ports. The laptop is connected to the monitor only when needed. If the desktop is awake, I can connect and disconnect the laptop and the KVM switch works as expected. However, if the desktop is sleeping, I can connect the laptop but I am unable to wake the desktop after I disconnect the laptop. In this situation, I can wake the desktop from a keyboard connected directly to the desktop but not the one connected to the monitor. Waking the desktop from sleep with the keyboard connected to the monitor is not a problem if it’s the last device I use with the desktop goes to sleep and I don’t try connecting my laptop. 

I have connected the desktop to the monitor using HDMI and USC-C2. The laptop is connected to the monitor using USB-C1 90W. 

I have the following monitor settings:

Input Source > Auto Select > On

Input Source > Auto Select for USB-C > Yes

PIP/PBP > PIP/PBP Mode > Off

USB > DP assign to > USB-C1 90W

USB > HDMI assign to > USB-C2

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 9th, 2023 07:00

However, if the desktop is sleeping, I can connect the laptop but I am unable to wake the desktop after I disconnect the laptop.
* Why not wake up the desktop PRIOR to disconnecting the Laptop?
* Does opening Menu- Input Source and choosing HDMI wake up the Desktop?

2 Posts

February 9th, 2023 11:00

I can wake the desktop prior to disconnecting the laptop but I would like to avoid extra steps. The main reason I paid more for this monitor is for what I assumed would be seamless functioning of the auto KVM. To do as you suggest means that I need to wake the desktop before connecting the laptop and then I have to keep the desktop awake while I am using the laptop so that the desktop is awake when I disconnect the laptop. I don’t want to prevent the desktop from sleeping when I am using only the laptop for a full day.

I would also like to just leave the laptop connected to the monitor for extended periods of time and switch between computers by manually selecting the input source. However, in this setup, I cannot manually switch to the desktop as the monitor Input Source if the desktop is sleeping. The desktop needs to be awake. And if it is asleep, I can’t wake it with the keyboard and mouse connected to the monitor. 

If the desktop is sleeping, manually changing the Input Source to HDMI does not wake the desktop even if I enter the hotkeys that I have set up through the Dell Display Manager App. Through the app, I  have entered hotkeys to “Switch between PCs” under the KVM options and also set up hotkeys under Input Source for “Favorite Input” to HDMI and “Switch between 2 input sources”.

No Events found!