Highlighted
QJonesTheThird
1 Copper

U2913WM, unresponsive, bricked. Power but nothing else.

Jump to solution
Hi Everyone,
I have an 8-month old Dell wide-screen monitor, which has been great. However, 2 days ago it became unresponsive. I'm experiencing the following:
  • Monitor is unresponsive when connected via any port.
  • Monitor is unresponsive when connected to any computer.
  • Monitor powers-on OK with a beep, a steady power LED and flashing function LEDs. No back-light, no image, no response from input or function keys.
  • Monitor has to be powered-off by force (holding down power button until power-off)
  • Monitor will not enter Self-Test mode when disconnected and powered-on.
  • Monitor OSD/menu is not accessible.
Monitor details from the rear of the device:

• Model: U2913WMt
  • Service Tag: <ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy>
  • Serial: CN-05YD8C-74445-59U-862L
  • Rev: A06
  • Purchased from: Scorptec Computers Pty Ltd
  • Purchase date: 23rd April 2016

The sequence of events that led to the monitor becoming unresponsive are as follows:
  • Monitor was plugged into PC and working fine (connected to an NVidia GTX 970 graphics card via mini-displayport)
  • Started playing a game (Wolfenstein: The New Order)
  • Paused the game and left the PC.
  • PC went into sleep mode (as did the monitor I presume)
  • I returned and woke-up the PC (lights, fans, everything seems ok).
  • Dell monitor does not respond.
Since the PC went into sleep mode during the game, the monitor has been unresponsive. I have tried many different attempts to fix the issue, including the following:
  • Power-off everything overnight. Power-on the next day. Monitor unresponsive.
  • Attempted to put the Dell monitor into Self-Test mode, but it remains unresponsive (following Dell troubleshooting guide).
  • Attempted a different port connection to the PC (DVI). Monitor unresponsive.
  • Attempted to connect the monitor to a different computer. Monitor unresponsive.
  • Everything mentioned in the Dell manual.

So it seems to me that this monitor has bricked itself, so I have started the RMA process with the retailer. Thought I'd raise the issue here just in case there's something I can do about it before it goes to a better place.

I've read through the forums and I think it's a similar issue as this:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19497235

Edit: actually more like this issue: 

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/20002002

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

RE: Dell U2913WMt - display unresponsive, bricked. Power but nothing else.

Jump to solution

Apologies for missing your post. Good troubleshooting. Did you end up getting an exchange through the reseller? By the way, that usage is not recommended =
Pausing game, allowing operating system to go into powersave mode

You should first terminate the game, then allow the operating system to go into powersave mode. By leaving it running, then allowing the operating system powersave mode, the connection to the monitor is ended incorrectly leaving the monitor in an unresolved state.

0 Kudos
2 Replies

RE: Dell U2913WMt - display unresponsive, bricked. Power but nothing else.

Jump to solution

Apologies for missing your post. Good troubleshooting. Did you end up getting an exchange through the reseller? By the way, that usage is not recommended =
Pausing game, allowing operating system to go into powersave mode

You should first terminate the game, then allow the operating system to go into powersave mode. By leaving it running, then allowing the operating system powersave mode, the connection to the monitor is ended incorrectly leaving the monitor in an unresolved state.

0 Kudos
QJonesTheThird
1 Copper

RE: U2913WM, unresponsive, bricked. Power but nothing else.

Jump to solution

Thanks Chris,

The monitor has been sent back to the retailer, but I need to wait for them to determine if it's actually borked or not.

It's worrying that something as simple as entering power-saving mode (which is largely automatic, depending on settings) is not 'recommended usage'. I would expect any monitor to be able to recover from an unresolved state (cable disconnect, power loss, power-save/sleep) without issue. /opinion

It does smell to me like a firmware issue, but that's just my gut-feel given there's no physical problems with it. I only wish there was a physical reset button on it that I could press to clear away any invalid state!

Cheers!

0 Kudos