Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 21st, 2014 17:00

U3011 Flickering Slight Buzz

Greetings!

My U3011 has increasingly been having a flickering issue.  I noticed recently if you put your ear close to the "D" in Dell, you can hear an electronic buzzing sound, also intermittent and not of a consistent tonality.

I have carefully followed the instructions in the post about what to do before posting a question; I could not, however, get my monitor to enter the self-test.  It merely displays the selected input in a floating box.

Model #: U3011

Revision: A08

S/N: MX-0PH5NY-74446-32E-A01L

Computer Model: Home built/custom desktop

GPU: Nvidia GTX 580

Outputs: 2x DVI, 1x Mini HDMI

Using DVI (GPU) to DVI-1 (Monitor)

Using a DVI-DL Cable

Using the Dell Supplied cable

Running at default resolution

Monitor S/N: MX-0PH5NY-74446-32E-A01L

Video of the issue: 

Is this something that requires a warranty exercise?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

April 22nd, 2014 07:00

Matthew-H,

The noise is normal. I hear that in the lab when I get that close to many of our monitor models.

First, reset the U3011 to Factory Defaults using the OSD (On Screen Display) =
* Press the Menu button (4th from the top)
* Go to Other Settings
* Choose Factory Reset Reset All Settings
* Exit the OSD
**Some users have simply raised the Brightness and lowered the Contrast to eliminate noise

Second, run the monitor BID (Built-in Diagnostic) which is independent of your computer, computer video card, and cabling
* The computer and monitor are on
* Unplug all of the monitor cables from the back of the monitor except the power cord
* The monitor then goes into the self-test mode
* Press and hold Preset Modes button 1 and Menu button 4 on the front panel simultaneously for 2 seconds
* A gray screen appears
* Press Menu Button 4. The color of the screen changes to red
* Press Menu Button 4. The color of the screen changes to green
* Press Menu Button 4. The color of the screen changes to blue
* Press Menu Button 4. The color of the screen changes to black
* Press Menu Button 4. The color of the screen changes to white
* Press Menu Button 4 to exit the test
If the monitor showed all of the colors correctly, the monitor is functioning. The issue is with either the video card, cabling, or the video card driver.

2 Posts

April 22nd, 2014 16:00

I can't get the monitor to run the BID.  I have nothing but the power cord plugged in.  There is a moving, floating dialogue that displays a stripe of WRGB on the left, and says "No DVI-D2 Cable".  I tried turning the monitor on and off, to see if that would work.  I turned it off, unplugged the power, plugged the power back in, and turned it on.  I have uploaded a video of what I did, in case I missed a step.  I have also posted a video for sound purposes only; I recorded the sound the monitor makes while flickering.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

April 24th, 2014 07:00

Once outside of the initial 30 days from the original Dell invoice date, all exchanged replacements will be refurbished/used. This Dell policy cannot be circumvented. Since your monitor has a Service Tag number, contact Dell Technical Support for your country. Provide to them the following data so they can setup a like for like monitor exchange =

Email Address:
Name:
Shipping Address:
Phone number:
Monitor Service Tag number:
Monitor 20 digit alphanumeric PPID serial number:
Reason:

No Events found!