mj2014
1 Copper

U3014, Is there a shortcut to quickly switch inputs?

Jump to solution

Is there a fast way to change from one input to another on the U3014?  I have two different computers going to two separate inputs, and using the "Input Source" menu gets tedious after a while.  I couldn't find any faster shortcuts in the manual, but was wondering if there any "hidden" features to accomplish a fast input switch.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
swamped1
2 Iron

RE: Is there a shortcut to quickly switch inputs on the U3014?

Jump to solution

If you have Dell Display Manager installed, you can try setting up a Windows shortcut to it with a command-line parameter. Assuming the 3014 is your only monitor (or monitor #1):

ddm.exe /1:SetActiveInput DVI1

ddm.exe /1:SetActiveInput HDMI1

ddm.exe /1:SetActiveInput DP1

ddm.exe /1:SetActiveInput DP2

MiniDP is DP2 on the 3014. Append an "/exit" if you just want DDM to start, switch inputs, and close.

0 Kudos
16 Replies

Jump to solution
0 Kudos
swamped1
2 Iron

Jump to solution

If you have Dell Display Manager installed, you can try setting up a Windows shortcut to it with a command-line parameter. Assuming the 3014 is your only monitor (or monitor #1):

ddm.exe /1:SetActiveInput DVI1

ddm.exe /1:SetActiveInput HDMI1

ddm.exe /1:SetActiveInput DP1

ddm.exe /1:SetActiveInput DP2

MiniDP is DP2 on the 3014. Append an "/exit" if you just want DDM to start, switch inputs, and close.

0 Kudos
mj2014
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Swamped207, thanks very much for that suggestion.  I'll definitely try that out and reply with results.

0 Kudos
mj2014
1 Copper

Jump to solution

swamped207, I have one more computer on which I need to test your solution, but so far it is working perfectly for me 🙂   By configuring a shortcut, I made the process even easier.  Thanks very much!

BTW, I did some Google'ing to try and find some documentation which defined the supported arguments for ddm.exe, but I couldn't find any.  I could only find the generic user's guide.  Do you know where I can find such information?  Note that I also tried to see if there was any "usage" information output if ddm.exe was launched from a command prompt window with bogus options, but I was not successful in that endeavor: Nothing was output to the command  prompt window.

Thanks again 🙂

0 Kudos
mj2014
1 Copper

Jump to solution

swamped207, Your solution works perfectly.  Many thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Nolarond
1 Copper

Jump to solution

This worked for me on my home PC, but I can't get Dell Display Manager working on my laptop. It's connected via an ePortPlus 2 - Pro2x docking station where both hdmi ports are connected to the mini-display ports on the monitors.

Dell Display Manager tells me it can't detect the monitors, although they work fine in all other regards.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
swamped1
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Not one you will like - I'm afraid the culprit is likely to be the docking station. To see if this is the case, connect the monitor directly to the laptop.

0 Kudos
Cubbers
1 Nickel

RE: U3014, Is there a shortcut to quickly switch inputs?

Jump to solution

Is there by any chance another parameter to change the brightness up or down from what it is currently? Something like

ddm.exe /1:SetBrightness +5

I found another program called ScreenBright that lets you set a particular brightness level via the command line (and hence keyboard shortcut via batch file), but not change by a certain amount. It has a "-get" parameter, but it returns the value in a popup window and I can't see any way to get at this value programmatically.

0 Kudos
ghen
1 Copper

RE: U3014, Is there a shortcut to quickly switch inputs?

Jump to solution

May not be exactly what you're looking for but:

ddm.exe /1:SetBrightnessLevel X

Sets brightness to X%, where X is a value between 0 and 100.

0 Kudos