Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 4th, 2014 11:00

U3014, Red band on border, change DDM Easy Arrange setting

I can't find a "search" function to search the forum.  Am I missing it or is there not one? I'm not sure this is even a monitor issue, but that's all I've changed, so.....

System is a standard PC running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. Graphics card is an ATI 5770.

I had a Dell 2405. And an inexpensive 22" secondary monitor. I just replaced the 2405 with a U3014.  Same box, same graphics card, same applications, same O/S, same Windows 7. The only thing I did was move the 2405 out of the way, plug in the 3014 using the cable that came with it and turned it on.

System had no problem driving the 2405 and the second monitor. It doesn't have any problem driving this monitor. I didn't even change the resolution - it's still at 1920x1200.

Any time I "drag" a window it snaps to full screen. The mouse doesn't have to be near the edge of the screen. I don't even have to drag the window, just click the top border where you'd drag the window and I get a bright red boarder around all four edges of the monitor and when I release the mouse the window jumps to fill the screen.

I've been to the Ease of Use screen and turned off the "Make the mouse easier to use" stuff.  It makes no difference. I can apply the change (un-check the box) and move the mouse to another open window, click the top border and the Ease of Use check box gets re-checked, and the other window jumps to full screen.

I've spent the last hour searching the Internet for how to get this stopped. I've even gone into the registry and change the value for the Windows Arrangement to "0", which was supposed to stop it.  No effect.

It does not happen on my secondary monitor.  Only the 3014. I've read the user manual that came on the CD entirely and I don't see anything that says if I touch a window it'll jump to full screen and how to stop it.

So, as nothing else got changed, and I've tried at the resolution of the 2405 as well as the 2560x1680 or whatever the standard resolution of the 3014 is, why are my windows doing this?

June 1st, 2017 08:00

I resolved this issue by opening Dell Display Manager, selecting the Easy Arrange tab, then changing the selection to the top left option (see the red X in picture). It was set to the 2nd one from the top left.

DDMTopLeft.JPG

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 4th, 2014 21:00

The U3014 must be set to 2560x1600. The Forum Search is shown in the picture below.

As to your windows full screen issue, I have never heard of a monitor causing it. Replicate the issue, once the window goes full screen, press the F11 key. What happens? If it gets smaller, close it by clicking the upper right X. Then open another one, does it go full screen?

October 5th, 2014 06:00

I KNEW the search would be intuitively obvious as soon as I saw it...  Good grief!

I've never heard of a monitor doing it either.  But I've ALSO never heard of Windows doing it.  And I haven't found ANY occurrences of Windows doing it in several hours of searching the Internet. 

And I didn't have the problem with the 2405.  I've got the latest drivers (installed AFTER the problem occurred) for the graphics card.  I installed the drivers for the 3014 AND went to Dell and downloaded the latest 3014 drivers and installed those.

I'm about to take the 3014 off and put the 2405 back on to see if the same thing happens...  What a massive pain to do something that should be so trivial.

October 5th, 2014 07:00

OK........  Just to check I REINSTALLED THE 2405 MONITOR.  It works absolutely FINE.  No red border, no windows jumping to fill the screen, NO problems at all........

SO, whether any of us has seen this or not, SOMETHING'S going on...  Do I have a monitor problem?  A cable problem?  Some other bizarre thing? 

I've tried several resolutions.  No difference.  I've tried different drivers - have (hopefully) the current ones. 

The only thing I have left to try is a displayport cable.  The one with the monitor appears to have a mini on one end and my graphics card has a full-sized end so I'll have to see if I can find a cable somewhere. 

Just to ensure this is as frustrating as possible, I called Dell support...  Got a guy that was TOTALLY interested in the serial number and totally NOT interested in the problem.  So, I put the phone on speaker and told him I'd have to disassemble the monitor from the stand to get it.....  While going through that process he HUNG UP......

Called back and the automated phone system sent me to India or somewhere, where I was told I was in "extended warranty".  Requested someone to help with a monitor and was transferred.  This person, likewise, was only interested in the serial number, so I GAVE it to him.  He was going to "CHECK"...  Waited, waited, and you guessed it, DIAL TONE......

Called a THIRD time and got the extended warranty person again and had him transfer me AGAIN.  This time, instead of a human I got a recorded message that the number to which I was transferred IS NOT IN SERVICE... 

So far, NOT impressed with the new Dell.

Good thing I saved the boxes 'cause if this is the kind of support I can count on, this is going back and I'll see if I can't find a source that supports their products a little more robustly.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 5th, 2014 22:00

For testing purposes, can you test the 2405FPW DVI cable on the U3014?

The U3014 has both the full size DP and the mDP. So you could test using our cable.

Computer ATI 5770 DP out --> Dell DP to mDP cable --> U3014 mDP in

October 6th, 2014 06:00

I did use the original 2405 cable when I initially installed the 3014.  I didn't want to crawl under the desk and run the new cable so I gave it a try.  I got a display that was turned 90 degrees ccw even though the monitor was in landscape mode.  Attempting to rotate it in the menu didn't work.  After trying other things I finally switched the cable to the 3014 cable and it worked fine........

I knew the monitor included a mini-DP port but for no good reason my brain decided I had to connect the full-sized end to the monitor instead of using the mini-DP...  Chalk it up the old age...  I'll switch the DP cable and try it today to see how it works...

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 6th, 2014 06:00

"I did use the original 2405 cable when I initially installed the 3014."

But you then later used the U3014 DVI cable on the U3014, correct?

October 6th, 2014 07:00

Yes, when I determined that I wasn't able to rotate the desktop within the display, I switched from the old, "single path"(?) cable to the one that came with the 3014.  Visually, things looked fine once I switched the cables...  I was just being lazy and trying not to have to crawl under the desk and switch cables...

June 1st, 2017 07:00

I have 2 Dell UltraSharp U3415W monitors each is connected via docking station to a Microsoft Surface running windows 10 64 bit.

one of them works fine and the other has a snap to full screen problem. when ever I try to move a open window by dragging it the monitor shows a red line all the way around the edge of the monitor screen. then it snaps the windows to full screen. this just started happening to me after I used the monitor's menu to reset it to factory default. it did not have this problem before that. any ideas on what I can do to correct this? I have tried all of the above tips.

3 Posts

February 22nd, 2018 09:00

This was my exact problem and your solution solved it. Thanks itsystemsFA for sharing.  :smileyhappy:

No Events found!