Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 12th, 2015 13:00

U3014, Will not wake from sleep with DisplayPort 1.2 enabled Intel HD Graphics 5000 3 different PCs

S/N: CN-0P1V6N-74445-4CA-182L

Computer models:

• Intel NUC BOXD54250WYKH1 Intel 4th Gen Intel Core i5-4250U with Intel HD Graphics 5000
  • Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Intel Core i5-4300U
  • Lenovo T440 Intel Core i5-4300U

Video Card: Intel HD Graphics 5000

Video card driver version:

Intel NUC = 10.18.14.4156

MS Surface Pro = 10.18.14.4156

Lenovo T440 = 10.18.14.4156

What video out ports are available on the video card? Mini DisplayPorts only

What cable are you using to attach the video card to the monitor:

PC (mDP)--->(DP) U3014 (DP)--->(DP) U3011

Press the monitor Menu button to open the monitor OSD (On Screen Display). The bottom of that screen should show a resolution. That resolution should match the monitor default resolution = 2560x1600 @ 60Hz; resolution on OSD matches default resolution in OS.

Full description of the monitor issue:

• U3014 does not wake up from sleep when DisplayPort 1.2 is enabled from OSD. With DP 1.2 disabled, monitor wakes up as expected.
  • With DP 1.2 enabled, I have to power cycle the primary monitor in order for it to wake from sleep.
  • I've taken all of the recommended steps outlined by Chris in the Forums (i.e. reset to factory default, Self-Test and BID, USB sleep options, etc.)
  • The monitor has been replaced once
  • The intel NUC has been replaced once
  • Tried windows 7, 8.1 Pro, 10 Tech Preview
  • I also have a case opened with Intel on this issue to see if it's a HD 5000 issue 

Was the monitor purchased from Dell or some reseller? Through a reseller

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

April 13th, 2015 19:00

We never tested the NUC. The ThinkPad and SP3 must be connected to their respective power cord and AC adapter. I have my doubts that any of these three can drive two 30" monitors via DP chaining. Checking with the team.

6 Posts

April 13th, 2015 20:00

Chris- Thanks for the response. Both the Thinkpad and SP3 are always plugged up during my tests. I also want to add that if I disconnect my U3011 and use the U3014 as a standalone monitor I experience the same results with DP 1.2 enabled. Monitor goes into a deep sleep and will only resume via power cycle.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

April 14th, 2015 15:00

Sounds defective to me.
* Go back to the top of this Monitor Forum
* Open FAQ Monitor
* Open "Monitor warranties and replacement instructions"

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

Based on total sold versus returns, no.

6 Posts

Will do. This would be the second monitor that exhibits this behavior. Is this a documented systemic issue with this model?

6 Posts

April 15th, 2015 20:00

Well just to update this thread. I have opened a case with Dell Support and they have escalated this issue to a higher support level I guess. We'll see what they come back with. I'll keep the forum posted.

6 Posts

May 8th, 2015 18:00

UPDATE: I received the replacement monitor which is rev A03 and I still have this issue. The other monitor was rev A05 and the one before that was A04. Is this another Dell manufacturing issue?

I asked Dell support to test my setup in their lab and they claimed they didn't have any PC with an Intel HD Graphics 5000 in it. (Pretty hard to believe)

So I asked them to test it on whatever they had and nothing, "except we'll replace the monitor". I guess it's easier to resolve an issue with an RMA instead of a RCA (Root Cause Analysis); Hey, that's what they have us Forum members for, right?

Lastly, the support experience was the worst I have ever encountered. Slow, inefficient and frustrating. After 3 support engineers and 2 managers, and being asked the same questions over and over again, oh, not to mention the 3+ week support cycle, I finally got a monitor and it still doesn't work.

Based on some of the answers I've seen in these forums and others on the net, the best approach is to keep RMA'ing the monitors until you get on that works. Hmmm, that's a very interesting business and support model. What happened to QA and thorough testing? Reading the customers' troubleshooting steps and then trying to replicate in a lab? Oh wait, what am I thinking...How dare I expect that kind of accountability and support. Just waste the time of folks who are spending $1K+ for a product.

I guess if you can afford a $1k+ product that must = you have time to blow spinning cycles RMA'ing monitors.

I would love to hear from others who are experiencing this DisplayPort 1.2 issue. Also, I did order a third mDP to DP cable from Amazon to test with. I went to displayport.org to see what cables they recommended and ordered one. I'll report back when I've received and tested it.

2 Posts

September 27th, 2015 13:00

Forgot to mention that It also did the same on my old WIn 7 PC - new PC is Win 10. So that's 2 different PC's, 2 different cables. I didn't report it before as I thought it may have been my PC, now I wish I had earlier.

2 Posts

September 27th, 2015 13:00

I have the same issue with my 3014. It is on a it's 2nd PC now - brand new skylake 6700k, Nvidia GTX 980, 64Gb ram - will not wake up. Over an hour on hold the other day to get nowhere with support. I'm guessing this monitor doesn't properly support DP 1.2, so as per your suggestion I have set to 1.1 and will see if that helps. I have had to remove the daisy chain and buy extra cables. Very poor. How have you got on since May? I will call Dell and ask for a replacement.

6 Posts

September 27th, 2015 17:00

My setup is actually working now. It was the intel NUC that was the issue; so I got rid of the NUC. I am now using a standard desktop with an Intel HD Graphics 4400 on an Intel core i3-4150 CPU. I am also using a DP 1.2 cable that connects to my PC using the standard DP connector and to the 3014's mini DP. I then daisy chain using a DP to DP on my U3011 and everything works like a charm. Make sure you have the latest drivers installed as this caused an issue for me in Windows 10. Here is the cable displayport.org recommended: www.amazon.com/.../B00A7R9I22;redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Also, the Dell tech told me that the DP to Mini-DP cable that comes with the monitor is a DP 1.2 cable. I hope this helps and keep us posted on your progress.

No Events found!