Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 28th, 2013 15:00

U3014, difference between CAL1 and CAL2 mode?

In the Color Space preset mode for U3014 30" monitor, what is the difference between CAL1 and CAL2? I tried both but couldn't tell a diff.  I know they're both pre-calibrated mode that comes with the monitor.  Any infos will be appreciated.

1 Rookie

• 

719 Posts

November 30th, 2013 03:00

100% sure.

Look, in these monitors internal calibration it's done with a 3DLUT. Native gamut is greater than AdobeRGB (in reds).
Standard and Custom modes comes with native gamut and native WhitePoint (native GBLED whitepoint, cooler than D65), Custom mode allows yo to set your desired white point.
At factory, 2 calibrations are stored as LUT3D and they are NOT editable by users (but can be corrected in GPU):
AdobeRGB: R, G & B coordinates (mostly red coordinate), White point and 2.2 gamma. The 2º is not very precise.
sRGB: R, G & B coordinates, White point and sRGB gamma . The 2º is not very precise.

AND as a feature, monitor allows yo to store 2 x LUT3D values: CAL1 and CAL2 but it only works with Dell Color Calibration Solution (DCCS), and DCCS only works with i1DisplayPro.
CAL1 and CAL2 are just "USER SLOTS" for storing LUT3D calibrations, nothing more.
At factory settings they should behave as Standard mode.

1 Rookie

• 

719 Posts

November 28th, 2013 23:00

You are wrong. Factory "calibrated" (to be more precise, "gamut emulation modes") modes are sRGB and AdobeRGB presets.

CAL1 and CAL2 are just for "storing" user LUT3D calibrations. At factory settings they should be like "Standard" (native gamut and native WP ~7000K).

13 Posts

November 29th, 2013 16:00

Are you 100% sure about this? Like no one really knows what is the factory pre-calibrated preset mode for the Dell U3014 monitor?

Would be nice if a Dell rep can clarify this.

13 Posts

November 30th, 2013 10:00

For some reason, the default CAL1 and CAL2 settings look a lot better thant he pre calibrated AdobeRGB and sRGB lol, well at least to me.

Also do you know anything about the "Game" mode? Like did Dell do something to it to make it better for Gaming?

No Events found!