Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 26th, 2013 14:00

U3014 set to dim setting has sections flicker to normal brightness during scrolling?

I have my U3014 set to a very dim (~30%) setting because of where I work. Sometimes when I'm quickly scrolling through  pages with text on white backgrounds, random rectangular sections of the monitor return to max brightness for ~2 seconds before returning to normal which gets irritating pretty quickly. First, what is this issue? Second, how do I fix it (get a new monitor?)?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

August 2nd, 2013 07:00

Be sure to test the U3014 after you have turned SVE (Smart Video Enhance) off.
* Press the Menu button to open the OSD (On Screen Display)
* Open Display Settings
* Highlight Smart Video Enhance
* Change it to Off
* Exit the OSD

Can you test the problem monitor on the system without the other two monitors connected to see if the issue continues?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

July 30th, 2013 07:00

personplant,

Please post a video of this in action. What OS? What video card? Which video card port connected to what monitor port? Are you using the Dell supplied monitor cables?

July 30th, 2013 14:00

The rectangular areas seem dependent on the frames within whatever website and window I'm viewing at the time. The rest of the screen outside the frame isn't affected by the brightness change. Also, it seems to only happen on windows with white backgrounds.

July 30th, 2013 14:00

Sorry for the horrible video quality. I recorded it with my iPhone and have no idea why it's flipped. Anyway, the color change is the important thing. Scrolling for a while will sometimes randomly cause rectangular areas to return to normal brightness. The color change lasts for a couple of seconds after I stop scrolling. The video card is an Nvidia NVS 295 on a Windows machine. I'm using the supplied DP cables and ports.

http://en.community.dell.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/3529/2656.IMG_5F00_2551.MOV

17 Posts

July 30th, 2013 15:00

I'm confused by something based on the video. I noticed the cursor's white is brighter than the browser's white background. I would think they would both be the same unless there's some kind of software color calibration in place that's adjusting the entire screen to be dimmer on the operating system level, except for the cursor that the software ignores and shows the uncalibrated full white and true brightness. I think I recall this back in the day when I worked at a newspaper. The screens were dim and warm, while the cursor stayed bright and cool.

If you do have some kind of calibration software installed, could it be that the software is having problems and losing focus on the browser window? And if that's the case, the hardware brightness of the monitor might not actually be changing, but just the calibration malfunctioning and revealing the standard color like always seen in the white of the cursor. If you disable the color profile, does the screen change to brighter picture like what happens in just the browser window?

If you connect a different monitor while running the same calibration, and do the same test, check to see if it happens. Or also try running the U3014 monitor at a lower resolution comparable to your last monitor to rule out that the increased resolution on your system is not a factor. It took some crazy scrolling to reveal it, but you said you discovered it through fast scrolling you do sometimes for work, so I'd think it would have shown up in the past.

I may be completely wrong about all that, and you may not even be using any calibration software, but just thought I'd throw it out there. I know how odd these U3014 are, as a replacement is being delivered today.  One thing, it's hard to imagine the actual monitor brightness changing like that in an isolated area without changing the whole screen unless every pixel has its own backlight. Then again, maybe the monitors color settings are changing, like color temp, and not the brightness setting, but then again, why is the cursor brighter.

July 31st, 2013 10:00

Yes, I'm using the Nvidia graphics card's color settings, but I'm inclined to believe this is a monitor issue. To answer your questions, I recently received this particular U3014, so I never had this problem before. What you can't see in the video is that this is a three monitor setup with a U3011 and a U3014. On the other two monitors, I've never had this color problem, and I can't seem to replicate it at all. The problem lies with this monitor, even if I switch ports and cables with the other two monitors.

Disabling the graphics card color profile makes the entire screen brighter but still less bright than when the odd behavior occurs since I've also dimmed the monitor. The brightness is the same level as my monitor set to max brightness without calibration software.

August 9th, 2013 12:00

The problem persisted with the other two monitors disconnected, but disabling the SVE inexplicably worked. Thanks. 

No Events found!