Highlighted
simon dubai
1 Copper

U3415W, 2017 MacBook Pro, best connections?

Jump to solution

I've order this monitor and want to know if anybody else out there has this combination. I want to know the best cable for connecting (the MacBook is USB-C only) and if a USB hard drive can be connected to rear of monitor and be detected by the MacBook by the same cable. I only want one cable to monitor and the monitor to handle everything else.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
simon dubai
1 Copper

RE: U3415W and 2017 MacBook Pro - best connections

Jump to solution

All working now. connected the Apple adapter to usb upstream cable and it is now working as a hub. many thanks. Perhaps you can post in a sticky or something that this works as I am sure many Mac users will be buying this monitor

0 Kudos
7 Replies

Jump to solution

While awaiting a possible customer response, you should also post the question on the Apple Forum and ask other Apple users how they are using the Dell U3415W with the 2017 MacBook Pro.

0 Kudos
simon dubai
1 Copper

Jump to solution

OK monitor arrived and looks great. However, it is not working as a hub. When I connect a USB drive to the rear it does not show on my Mac Book. How do I do this? I am connected via USB-C from the Mac though a USB-C/HDMI adapter to HDMI on the monitor.

I'm assuming that HDMI does not carry data back to the Mac. Am I right? Is it possible to have one cable that from Mac to monitor and then use monitor as hub?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Glad that the USB-C to HDMI is working. As the U3415W User's Manual pages 6, 9, and 11 show, to use the U3415W USB hub and USB Downstream ports, you must connect the USB Upstream cable to the U3415W Upstream port and the other end into the computer USB port.

0 Kudos
simon dubai
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hmmm. Surely it's possible if I buy a usb-c adapter or hub which has the appropriate USB-out which I can connect the USB upstream cable to?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Unknown. You will simply have to test one. As you can see from the User's Manual, we only test directly to the computer USB port.

0 Kudos
simon dubai
1 Copper

Jump to solution

All working now. connected the Apple adapter to usb upstream cable and it is now working as a hub. many thanks. Perhaps you can post in a sticky or something that this works as I am sure many Mac users will be buying this monitor

0 Kudos
Kelly-C
1 Copper

Re: U3415W and 2017 MacBook Pro - best connections

Jump to solution

Hi Simon,

Thanks for your post.

How do you like the Dell U3415W you purchased to go with your 2017 MacBook Pro? Are the display quality and resolution comparable to the Apple iMacs? How about the text? And finally, what cable are you using to connect the two? Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos