dvmblues
1 Copper

RE: U3415W, Display Manager for OS X?

Hello,I have a MAC MINI 2014, I want to buy this monitor.

Thanks by your support and sorry by my english, i´m from spain.

If I connect mac mini to monitor dell u3415 , Can I get the resolution 3440x1440 at 60 hz?

dell haven´t got thunderbolt connections.

THANKS

0 Kudos
Highlighted
nigelfreeney
1 Copper

Hi dvmblues,

As I said in my earlier post on 6th February:

"I have got my Mac Mini to display the full 3440x1440 resolution on the U3415W by connecting the mDP end to the Thunderbolt port and the DP end to the DP in port. I did however need to turn DP 1.2 off in the onscreen settings. I have a PC connected using the mDP port of the monitor and can switch between them using the onscreen menu." The miniDP port and Thunderbolt port connections are directly compatible.

Unless someone has already done this and posts to say so then you will be taking a risk. It seems likely that this will work as it has for me but Dell have specifically stated that the monitor has no support for Macs.

0 Kudos
walley1
1 Copper

I have  a 2012 mac mini. What are your thoughts on using this monitor with that system? It has i7 quad with 16 gb ram, Thoughts?

0 Kudos
nigelfreeney
1 Copper

I have the Mac Mini i5 2011 with 16GB RAM and it seems to work fine with this. I would expect you to have no problems. Please bear in mind that Dell does not offer support for the U1534W monitor with Apple devices.

0 Kudos
gje306
1 Copper

Hi nigelfreeney, can you confirm whether your mini has the dedicated Radeon graphics or integrated HD3000. I can't seem to find a definitive answer on whether the HD3000 graphics has enough grunt to push this resolution.

0 Kudos
nigelfreeney
1 Copper

Hi gje360,

I have dedicated AMD Radeon HD 6630M 1MB Details:

gpuboss.com/.../Radeon-HD-6630M

0 Kudos
williamteeple
1 Copper

I have the Late 2012 model Mac Mini.

While I can display the full native resolution of the U3415w, three is noticeable font corruption in the menu system.

Attached image is of my CHROME menu bar - it should be the APPLE logo and then CHROME right next to it.

Anyone else experiencing this?  It is highly annoying.

0 Kudos
neversleep360
1 Copper

On the mac, hold Option when selecting the "Scaled" resolution setting.  This will display all possible resolution options.  From there you can pick 1720x1440 to get a nice side-by-side display resolution.

I found this information from osxdaily.com/.../

0 Kudos