Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 12th, 2015 12:00

U3415W Ticking, Buzzing noise

I just bought a U3415W Rev. A01 and the monitor seems to work great besides and intermittent rhythmic ticking/clicking sound that it emits. It seems like it is coming from the lower/center portion of the back of the screen and it happens when the the display sometimes switches from a darker to a lighter image and vice versa. Not sure if this is normal, but it doesn't seem like it should be. I have seen a couple of other people mention similar noises on a different forum. Do you have any information or guesses as to what might be causing it and if I should try to return/exchange it or not?

2 Posts

March 12th, 2015 11:00

I have a U3415W (REV A01) and it makes a buzzing noise near the bottom of the display, near the Dell logo. This buzzing noise changes depending on whats on the screen, is this a defect? Would I be able to RMA this monitor based on this problem? Also if I were able to do that would I receive a new unit from Dell or a refurbished one?

Thanks

2 Posts

March 12th, 2015 16:00

I think I may have the same problem as you but not as severe, mine is kind of a electrical buzzing noise, sort of what you hear close to a transformer or electrical substation. 

Its seems like a problem on most U3415W's I have personally heard 2 units making the same noise, I really want to keep the Dell because of the superior stand but I'm thinking of just getting the LG

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 16th, 2015 14:00

We need to hear it. Post a youtube video.
* Inside of 30 days from the invoice date = new exchange
* Outside of 30 days from the invoice date = used exchange

5 Posts

March 18th, 2015 04:00

Dell u3415w ticking sound:

Link to the video. Cell phone camera apparently likes to pick up a lot of background noise, sorry. You can hear the ticking (try with headphones) in the first 20 seconds and again around the 49 second mark. It happens when the screen goes from dark/ no image to a bright/static image such as a loading screen. It's there every time undder that scenario, but also sometimes shows up briefly when the image is moving, as in when I'm playing a game.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 18th, 2015 05:00

Honestly with headphones turned up to max I did not hear it. I would not exchange it if it was after the first 30 days from the invoice date because you will receive a refurbished replacement.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 18th, 2015 06:00

It will take 10 business days to transfer the service tag from the Microsoft store to you which will exceed the 30 days from the invoice date, so return it to them.

5 Posts

I will try with a better mic tonight to see if I can capture it better. It is still within the 30 days of invoice. I bought it from the Microsoft store, so would I go through you or them for a new exchange?

Thanks for the quick replies.

5 Posts

Ok I will try again tonight with a different mic to see if I can get it any clearer. The noise is definitely there. The monitor is also still within the 30 days from invoice. I did however buy it from the microsoft store so would I go through them or you for an eventual warranty replacement?

Thanks for the quick replies.

5 Posts

March 18th, 2015 07:00

Well I just spoke to them and apparently they are out of stock and I see you guys are 12-16 days out according to the online store so it looks like I might be out of luck. They said that they will get back to me within 3-4 days to see if they can somehow get me an other new one.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 19th, 2015 06:00

If you go through Dell to get a monitor exchange, please send me the dispatch number via private message (click my name).

No Events found!